PDA

View Full Version : Resetting IP is it smart

Trickology
11-14-2007, 09:03 PM
Is it a good idea to reset your network ip every once in a while or is it a waste of time. I mean dose it give you a clean slate every time you do it.

WarrenBuffet
11-14-2007, 09:09 PM
only if u have in mind getting banned on trackers....

ibnahmed
11-14-2007, 09:11 PM
to unban yourself yes, i cant see anything else.

Trickology
11-14-2007, 09:18 PM
only if u have an mind getting banned on trackers....

I don't think you get banned for this some people's IP's change automatically on a daily bases. I know mine changes on me if my power goes out. I'm talking about doing it for security reasons, dose it help.

optimus_prime
11-14-2007, 09:43 PM
not really, in case cops are hunting you they will go to your isp for logs and get your identity from there.

Totti
11-14-2007, 09:56 PM
i would say no when i was visiting my grandparents in the u.s just lat week i entered tdc and changed my password but because of the ip change (im from israel) they banned my acc :( so be carefull

p.s if someone could give mt thedvdclub's irc channel..... thx

tusks
11-14-2007, 10:37 PM
Yeah dude, even if you change your IP, there are certain IP ranges registered with various hosting companies. All the authorities have to do is call up that ISP, tell them the IP you used to be using and they can track you through logs.

Detale
11-14-2007, 10:43 PM
The sad truth is if they want to get you you will get got!! No matter what you do. IP logs from your ISP have everything in there.

ibnahmed
11-14-2007, 11:13 PM
i agree, if u are trying to hide from the cops, then do this

buy yourself two international servers
open one from ur home computer (and open the other from your fist server .... they cant track u forever lol) how stupid u think this is?

WarrenBuffet
11-14-2007, 11:34 PM
Or go to mcdonals wifi and do ur torrenting their lol

AkaiDoresu
11-15-2007, 12:06 AM
Bullshit, nobody will ban you for changing your IP, my IP changes each time i reboot my modem...

People what the fuck are you talking about, each modem works on a specific IP range and even when it changes it still remains in certain pattern and it is still partially recognizable...

ibnahmed
11-15-2007, 01:02 AM
Bullshit, nobody will ban you for changing your IP, my IP changes each time i reboot my modem...

People what the fuck are you talking about, each modem works on a specific IP range and even when it changes it still remains in certain pattern and it is still partially recognizable...

well that is DHCP
so it is dyanamic and it is withing a given range (so people will know it is due to DHCP)

Tokeman
11-15-2007, 01:21 AM
My ip changes, and it goes from way different ranges. Trick is, nothing else changes. Same port, same browser, same client version, same seeding torrents, and i'm not changing anything in my profile, like email or pass. Truth is, unless its a country change, they won't ban you for one thing like an IP change, but bundle it with just 1 other thing and you might find yourself ban'd.

There are a ton of things that they can look for patterns in besides these, but its just an example of how it all works.

AkaiDoresu
11-15-2007, 01:40 AM
Anyways multiple IPs are allowed everywhere with maybe some extreme exceptions. You can always talk to the staff and let them know about your situation... it's not a big deal at all...

Tenth
11-15-2007, 02:37 AM
Tor and privoxy running with Firefox work pretty well for when browsing needs to be anonymous. They can be turned on and off while browsing with the easy to use Torbutton.

For more info see this page (http://www.torproject.org/download.html.en).

As far as torrents go I am not aware of any way to download or upload anonymously.

AkaiDoresu
11-15-2007, 02:44 AM
Tor and privoxy running with Firefox work pretty well for when browsing needs to be anonymous. They can be turned on and off while browsing with the easy to use Torbutton.

For more info see this page (http://www.torproject.org/download.html.en).

As far as torrents go I am not aware of any way to download or upload anonymously.

Except using proxy is more definite ban... if you use appear to be anonymous then it means you have something to hide and trackers ban such individuals.

Alien5
11-15-2007, 02:47 AM
thats true, look for posts in torrent site forums by people who tell you how to hide your ip. those people all have their accounts disabled. but the thread stays. :idunno:

chillincool
11-15-2007, 03:12 AM
Just use ssl connections to do all your dirty deeds.

Polarbear
11-15-2007, 08:58 AM
my ip changes automatically every 24h. my isp deletes ip logs after 7 days (by law).

i never had issues with that ip change on any of my trackers (of course it's the same ip range)

if you make a trip to another country and log into your account, i strongly advice to inform staff before the trip.

a friend of mine learned it the hard way. he was in france for a business trip, logged into bitmetv with his laptop and said farewell to his account afterwards :mellow: