PDA

View Full Version : How and why did you begn torrenting

DannyGnXz
11-15-2007, 05:29 PM
Just curious as to how it all began for you guys. Torrenting that is. How did you get introduced to it?

For me... The answer is kids. Buying DVDs which they didn't care to watch, ended up pissing me off.

I was introduced to it by watching the Screen Savers on TechTV. Thanks to Kevin Rose who explained how to hack the original xbox, I was able to run homebrew appz and watch downloaded movies and play "backed up" games.

I first started downloading movies on TMD-Moviez. But I was quickly disappointed with the quality of the movies I was downloading from there via mIRC. A little more googling & some more revelations from Kevin Rose led me to bit torrent.

Its been at least 5 to 6 years since I've been torrenting and I haven't looked back. The next natural progression in the chain would be Newsgroups but I have yet to take the plunge in that direction.

So I ask you guys... How did it all begin for you?

raj3186
11-15-2007, 05:41 PM
I use the internet basically for music/appz. I began with search engines to search for mp3's(also appz cracks,serials) but i came to know that my system started was getting infected with viruses and other shit as i opened some unknown sites. Then i came to know abt Limewire . This was an intermediate stage for me! As i wanted to download more and more music, i found it difficult to search for each and every song and download it in limewire. So, a gud frnd of mine introduced me to torrents. I was so excited to know abt torrents. I remember, the first torrent i downloaded was 50 Cent - The Massacre. mininova was the tracker i came to know first. Also didnt know abt ratios,seeds,leeches.....and other ABC's of torrenting until 1 fine day, TL had open signups through their IRC. . The guy who invited me told me to read the rules and FAQ before downloading anything. I read the FAQ/Rules and then came to know abt everything slowly!

Now, as a torrent user, i am very happy to be a member of some of the most exclusive torrent cummunities that everyone dreams about!

Thanks DannyGnXz (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../members/dannygnxz-94528) for letting me sharing my memories here at FST
Long live FST :fst:
:)

tralalala
11-15-2007, 05:44 PM
started in public torrent sites cos kazaa sucks cawk and the edonkey network was slow as hell, then gradually got into the private bt world though FST and co, to where i am today.

DannyGnXz
11-15-2007, 05:54 PM
My first torrenting site was Suprnova. When it was closed, I became upset but found some other great communities as a result of it.

DyNast
11-15-2007, 05:57 PM
I heard about that but never used it, till one day i tried and fall in love :P
My first site was TL ;)

Daniel
11-15-2007, 06:00 PM
I had my first bittorrent experience back when the best client was the original bittorrent client and private trackers were probably about to start out soon. That was nothing special however, no certain reason for choosing this method, no file I was dying to find, just trying to fool around with it. What I remember most about that time was how uncomfortable the use of that client was and that I'd rather stick to what I've known forever ;)

As I had, and have, other ways to get some important stuff, I haven't started using torrents regularly until some of the largest public trackers made it too tempting to refuse.

bluejay
11-15-2007, 06:04 PM
I live overseas, and I miss American TV, so I started downloading tv episodes, then whole seasons. After I got into it, a friend of mine gave me an oink invite, then another friend gave me a demonoid invite. Then, the whole world went to hell.

ZedZedZed
11-15-2007, 06:06 PM
a friend of mine invited me to sct and then I started :D

Nemrod
11-15-2007, 06:22 PM
Ufff... I donīt remember when... in the beginning, when BitTorrent came out.
How? I friend of mine told me about this and tought me how to use. I remember that finding .torrents was not easy and the offer was poor.
It was a time when eMule was a good alternative and I wasnīt very convinced... but step by step this thing became bigger and bigger, and faster and faster...
Like almost everybody I began with Suprnova and I remember that when I discovered Demonoid that was... what a experience!
The main concern today for me is to decide where I download from.

kostnkost
11-15-2007, 06:23 PM
I was tired of using Winmx and knew there had to be something better. I also was capped by my ISP, so sharing was nonexistent for me on MX.

Heard from a few friends that torrents was the way to go, so here I am.

Next step once torrents is obsolete would have to be newsgroups.

I'm always thinking ahead, lol.

Benja
11-15-2007, 08:02 PM
my friend made me a partner in TL user (he uploaded with terminal)/
meanwhile some1 changed the password and i started looking for other trackers.
now i'm in TD&CZONE hope to get better when i reach 30 days i'll start trading.

fOrUmAs
11-15-2007, 08:28 PM
i was start with limeware and edonkey2000 to download games :P but speed was sucks and then my friend told me abouth torrent world and that is how i get in..and there is one more thing,before when i start using torrents i was addict to new games that i have to pay to some local pirate to get new games and that is all history now..viva la torrenting :D

Gtb
11-15-2007, 08:36 PM
I was a E-donkey addict, up to the moment that the files that i downloaded where more than 50% fake.

A friend explained how torrents work, showed me isohunt, and i came to torrent world.

Of course FST was the big step on knowing new and valuable trackers.

Totti
11-15-2007, 09:38 PM
man i started out when they had http warez sites on the internet from there progresed to kazza when it was still good. once kazza was shit i started to use irc and ftps but that was just too big a hassle to get anything so i tried out torrents my first site torrentbytes still the best site o was ever a part of but they banned my ip range so i had to find alternative sites hence fst and i have been enjoying mysel eversince

psxcite
11-15-2007, 11:38 PM
I've always been on in the scene from my early days with Paradox on the Vic20, C64 and Amiga. I've transitioned from BBS's to FTPs and usenet - and then BT just became another popular medium. So naturally, I adopted it.

AkaiDoresu
11-15-2007, 11:44 PM
my friend got me in... after seeing btgigs + torrentleech I never downloaded from public sites again and now its been 2 years since im active torrent user;]

yeoj
11-15-2007, 11:50 PM
I started torrenting just for the scene releases. :)

MrLazy
11-16-2007, 12:01 AM
i started out with gnutella man was that fun ..eventually it got to my nerves with all the viruses and fake files ..then one of my friends told me about bittorrent and we all got addicted..then we heard about newsgroups but that was totally crap. BT is the best method of filesharing

Cheffy
11-16-2007, 12:28 AM
Having been a file sharer for years i knew about torrents since Supernova. Did not use it as my main source for files before the first scene tracker was introduced. At least the first one known to me, that was Torrentbits the original run by redbeard (the good old days)
I switched from being a "low level" currier for several ftps, 5min to 1 hour pre was the usually the rules. And being in a different time zone than the US just made it so much easier than camping the computer for credits. This was before the scripts was made the life a tad easier for the curriers.

zed
11-16-2007, 12:36 AM
I first started torrenting because of wrestling. I would download the PPV's from WinMX when someone I was downloading from finally told me about PWT. I've been using torrents ever since.

quaero
11-16-2007, 12:39 AM
Got tired of DC++. Remember the good old days of Supernova.

melatonin
11-16-2007, 12:59 AM
My first torrenting site was Suprnova. When it was closed, I became upset but found some other great communities as a result of it.

same here ;)

tiolewis
11-16-2007, 01:12 AM
One of my brothers friend invite me to iptorrents (they have open signup anyway) and thats the way i started with the bittorrent world, and the good speed was the most important reason.

Blackstreet
11-16-2007, 06:41 AM
Google->WinMX->Lime Wire->Emule/IRC->Torrent

sugam
11-16-2007, 07:52 AM
I wanted to download some movies , so a friend of mine told me to get bitcomet and gave me couple of trackers to use.

th0r
11-16-2007, 08:00 AM
I started back in the days of ET and PreTorrents after Suprnova died. LimeWire/KaZaA had too much spyware, and their speeds weren't fast enough.

zizo85
11-16-2007, 08:08 AM
i start with bitsoup and TD
and after that i got some invites from my friends
and i traded some to get another trackers
its long story
:fst:

9NINE
11-16-2007, 08:17 AM
was searching for some books then heard about leanbits

sexydingo
11-16-2007, 09:22 AM
I started with IRC bots and private ftp's, then I moved into DC++ and WASTE groups for a little while, after that it was torrents and I won't be going back.

I-HAVE-IT-M8
11-16-2007, 10:12 AM
I started with Kazza then Edonkey then Suprnova ect ect

Why do i do it because i like free shit:D

I started with IRC bots and private ftp's, then I moved into DC++ and WASTE groups for a little while, after that it was torrents and I won't be going back.

WOW DC++ i completely forgot about it

Herrick
11-16-2007, 10:39 AM
Herrick first started when Hitmang Blood Money was about to come out. I wanted to play it badly, but it wasn't out yet. I was on a game forum and saw that people were already playing it due to something called torrents. So I looked up torrents and how to get them, then went on to download the game :)

luckylittle
11-16-2007, 11:13 AM
I was bored of scene.

munkyboy04
11-16-2007, 01:21 PM
I used to use soulseek I used it for years happy downloading albums off there. Then A friend of mine Invited me to TV torrents because I'd missed a few episodes of 24 and wanted to catch up. I couldnt belive it. Bit Torrent had everything MP3's Xvids, brilliant. I never looked back.

pierrrot
11-16-2007, 07:26 PM
After edonkey, I found Suprnova, faster and better for Tv Series.
Then public tracker until I need DVDR and private torrent sites.

stopher54
11-16-2007, 09:12 PM
My journey into torrenting was a gradual progression like many.

I started off with napster and used many others like winmx, imesh, and kazaa. Then I found what I thought was the best at the time DC++. But then that turned to crap. Then I finally found torrents, I think torrentspy was my first site.

I then found Demoniod and the private tracker journey has continued since.

kayrin
11-16-2007, 10:17 PM
was tired of scene trading

seanbee
11-16-2007, 10:37 PM
Torrenting for me started when I realized I was spending thousands to rent DVD movies. I was talking to a friend who basically introduced me to the whole thing. Since then I am hooked, my inviter had invited me to BitSoup, TL and Revtt. I never forgot his kindness and have returned the favor by getting him into FTN, SCT and other top sites.

Because of my savings (no longer needing to rent movies) I always try to ensure that I donate to my top 5 trackers whenever I can

pro267
11-17-2007, 02:22 AM
I think it was ~2001 when I started torrenting. Me and a couple of my mates at work got an ADSL router at work all to ourselves. I literally raped that line, downloaded like crazy everything I couldn't download on my (then) crappy dialup connection. I mainly used Kazaa and IMesh, since BT was just starting to catch, but I started experimenting with it as well. I remember it was pretty hard to find descent trackers at the time, and I mainly googled to find torrents. I don't think there were private trackers at the time either. That continued for some time, until I was forced to stop for a few years due to my studies, after which I returned to public tracker and eventually to private ones as well. I got introduced to private trackers by a friend of mine, following a discussion we had where I had claimed I can download everything I need from IRC channels, and he insisted I don't know what I'm missing. Obviously I've told him he doesn't know what he was talking about and I would be caught dead in private trackers, then returned home and immediately decided to explore it myself.. :)

@psxcite:
I'm surprised anyone here even knows what a BBS is. I actually used to own one at the time, although I guess even then I was more interested in the FidoNet forums than in the warez. What a nostalgia, those were the good old days..

raj3186
11-17-2007, 02:33 AM
i was start with limeware and edonkey2000 to download games :P but speed was sucks and then my friend told me abouth torrent world and that is how i get in..and there is one more thing,before when i start using torrents i was addict to new games that i have to pay to some local pirate to get new games and that is all history now..viva la torrenting :D

Limewire has considerable speeds when compared to edonkey! Whenever i tried to download something from edonkey,it almost took half an hour to get connected :cry: . So by the time u get connected to the edonkey network, u could download a lots in limewire :happy:

Sylar666
11-17-2007, 11:08 AM
I kinda had some free potential. Needed some enthralling stuff, some kinda challenge. I've found it in torrenting. Thanx FST for helping me with those clumsy first steps...

sleepyy
11-17-2007, 11:22 AM
Same thing allways happend napster kazzaa winmx edonkey shareaza torrent Then then then