PDA

View Full Version : Massive Dl Of Gfa

idontbelieveit
07-17-2003, 07:58 PM
I have just Dl gfa a 690 Mb file. I know this file contains info on how to burn to CD. the question is, how do I read this file.

toddiscool
07-17-2003, 08:25 PM
What kind of file is it, I will assume a bin, to burn bins check out the link in my signature. If it is a nother file type please specify.

idontbelieveit
07-17-2003, 08:30 PM
It is supposed to be an exe. file with info on how to burn to 2 CD's. But it just appears to be an unopenable data file. It states on the dialogue box of download that it contains the nero disk images of 2 CD's and a crack exe. How do I read this data file. Please

toddiscool
07-17-2003, 08:35 PM
Is it gta 3, is that what you are downloading if so i beleive that there is one version that is a .rar archive. You will need winrar to open it, then you should be fine. The info that you are giving is it not enough for anyone to really be of help, if you want help please take the time to make a post that contains atleast some info ie. extension on the filename, the filename, what you have tried.

idontbelieveit
07-17-2003, 08:50 PM
The file I downloaded by pasting the hash into Ksig. It was NOT a bin , cue type file but just stated that it was exe. with the file containing the nero images for 2 CD's and a crack exe
the file is 713,644KB show type of file as "file" and description as grand theft auto 3.

toddiscool
07-17-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by idontbelieveit@17 July 2003 - 21:50
The file I downloaded by pasting the hash into Ksig. It was NOT a bin , cue type file but just stated that it was exe.
You mean the hash said it was an exe. That does not matter what does the filename that you have on your computer in your shared folder say that it is.

If it is for example gta3.rar.exe - it is labeled that way so it comes up in a serach for software, or bin.exe.
Take off the EXE, if you do not have show extensions enabeled go into folder options a enable them, If you cannot handle that right click and go to propertis, then tell us what the filename is, what the name of flies was on the quicklink, that is not the filename.

But it just appears to be an unopenable data file.
ther is no such thin, (well maybee but not really) you just do not have that extension registered to a program or the program to open it,. I bet that it is a winrar archive.

idontbelieveit
07-17-2003, 09:10 PM
I'm sorry for being a pain. The file in my shared folder shows the properties as the file being Type of file... "file" and thats all.
When I was downloading from kazaa the dialogue bubble was the one that said it was exe.

toddiscool
07-17-2003, 09:21 PM
Ok here is what I am willing to bet that you need to do since you cannot for some reason tell me the filename - not the description name, just the filename.

Get winrar there are tonnes of them on kilite or you can get a trial version Here (http://download.com.com/3000-2250-10007677.html)

then unzip the file using winrar - you should not get your to bin files, you may get another set of winrar files in which case open the first one and it will extrat the enitire bin files.
No you will get you files with instructions to burn them, if not follow the link in my sig. If that does not work for you I can not help you unless you can give me the FILENAME (the name of the file in your shared folder not what type it is, not the size the name of it including extension.

Or double click on the file and use the windows online servie to find the correct program to open that kind of file.

idontbelieveit
07-17-2003, 09:32 PM
I know you think I'm an English Prat, but....
The file in my shared folder says "grand theft auto 3". Its properties (right click) show the type of file as " file" nothing else . I have tried Winrar and it does not show up as a compressed file that Winrar can open.
What else can I tell you@?
Just tell me to go to bed, and I'm off .... I'll play with something else

toddiscool
07-17-2003, 09:36 PM
Ok well i just did a search and found the one that you are talking about, it does say that it is an exe, so it should be a self extraciting file, (just double click on it) I have to go to work now but i think that I have that file burned on a cd somewhere so if you have not figured it out by then i will see what i would have to do to open that file, but i think that it is self extracting, maybee someone else can chime in while I am gone.

Or if you really can not figure it out just get the rip it is by far the best rip ever done, only thing missing are theradio stations and you can just bput your own MP3's in.

toddiscool
07-17-2003, 09:40 PM
Sorry posted this in the wrong topic

Edit: Erased

callum
07-17-2003, 09:47 PM
I don't think it is a self-extracting zip. If it was it would say application in the file properties.

Have you tried right-clicking on the file, selecting open with, then selecting winrar to open it with.

idontbelieveit
07-17-2003, 09:55 PM
The "Open With" option is not available. When I tried to open the file with Winrar the folder did not show a file (compressed) that Winrar could open.
Perhaps I should abandon this game, eh?

tHe LiNk
07-18-2003, 12:59 AM
Have you got file extensions turned on? Go to control panel > Folder options > View tab > Untick "Hide extensions for known filetypes".

Does "grand theft auto 3" now show the filetype next to it? Eg, does it now say : "grand theft auto 3.exe" ?

idontbelieveit
07-18-2003, 05:20 AM
Sorry for the delay, but been to bed.
I have enabled file extensions, but the file still only states ... grand theft auto 3, but no file extensions.

idontbelieveit
07-18-2003, 05:25 AM
Could my problem be when I used Ksig to download. If I pasted the hash and called the file gfa and not gfa.exe, unbeknowing to me that is what it is finally called. Is there no turning back, I can't DL 750KB again. Is that it?

tHe LiNk
07-18-2003, 05:45 AM
Try simply adding .exe to the end of the filename, should work.

idontbelieveit
07-18-2003, 05:49 AM
Off now, I will try later , many thanks

toddiscool
07-18-2003, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by idontbelieveit@18 July 2003 - 06:25
Could my problem be when I used Ksig to download. If I pasted the hash and called the file gfa and not gfa.exe, unbeknowing to me that is what it is finally called. Is there no turning back, I can't DL 750KB again. Is that it?
I do not think that k-sig will rename a file on you, but if it did then
Try simply adding .exe to the end of the filename, should work

idontbelieveit
07-18-2003, 05:59 AM
Before I go I have to tell you that manually adding the exe file extension worked. It then unzipped to 4 files which I will deal with later. I must thank Toddiscol and the rest of you for your help and I must say patience. It appears that when using Ksig the file name you enter must be exact and not a personal one although one might think the hash was the only important thing.
I will see If it works or I'll be back tonight (my time that is) Bi

toddiscool
07-18-2003, 06:19 AM
Good shit, wow id did not know that k-sig would rename the file when downloading. hmm. Well I appoligize for back when I was like "just tell me the f**kin filename. haha.

idontbelieveit
07-20-2003, 06:16 PM
My problems are continuing. Now I have the 2 disk images, I cannot burn them so that the CD's install the files. I just get a copy of the image file on the CD (I'm using nero) . I don't seem to be able to find the write image file command in Nero.
What am I doing wrong. How do I burn a disc image so that intelligable files are on the CD?

callum
07-20-2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by idontbelieveit@17 July 2003 - 21:30
It states on the dialogue box of download that it contains the nero disk images of 2 CD's and a crack exe. How do I read this data file. Please
If they are nero images all you have to do is start up nero and cancel the wizard.
Then go to the file menu and select burn image, then select the image you want to burn.

idontbelieveit
07-20-2003, 07:55 PM
When I've burned that image, it is just a duplicate image of the one on Hd, which I cannot open to install the files.If I enter the Cd and try to open the file all I get is Nero opening again.

toddiscool
07-20-2003, 09:18 PM
See the link in my sif for how to burn an image file using different programs, Nero is not there because I do not like it but that info for other good programs is there, start by mounting to a virtual drive, it is all in there

callum
07-20-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by idontbelieveit@20 July 2003 - 20:55
When I've burned that image, it is just a duplicate image of the one on Hd, which I cannot open to install the files.If I enter the Cd and try to open the file all I get is Nero opening again.
It sounds like you haven't selected burn image from the file menu.
You can still use the cd's you have already burned if you don't want to burn anymore.
All you have to do is download Daemon tools, install it.
Then mount the image on the virtual drive daemon tools creates.
You can do this using the image file on the cd's you have burned.