PDA

View Full Version : Questiong About Replacing Mobos

Shiranai_Baka
07-17-2003, 10:41 PM
Would i have to format my harddrive in order to put in my new mobo? if not, would you guys reccomend to format it anyways or no?

jonathan_tijuana
07-17-2003, 10:43 PM
i don't realy know but i think that u don't need to, some weeks ago a upgrade my pc but i did format my hard drive.

Lamsey
07-17-2003, 10:49 PM
You'd probably need to reinstall Windows anyway, as it'll need to set up the drivers, HAL, etc. for your new setup.

Shiranai_Baka
07-17-2003, 11:04 PM
Ok.. i have two hard drives, one for windows and other necessary programs and one for anime and games etc.. would i have to format them both to install my new mobo in or just the one that is used for windows?

pixellated
07-18-2003, 12:43 AM
You actually don't have to reformat the drive .. I know Windows 2000 Setup has the option of deleting the previously installed version of Windows and I'm guessing WinXP Setup has something similar. (However, that can lead to funky folder names in your Documents and Settings folder.)

If you feel that you need to reformat (or want to reformat anyway to clean things up a little), you don't need to reformat both drives. Just the one Windows resides on. I just upgraded motherboards a few weeks ago (replaced a defective board) and I didn't reformat the drive.

So, no .. you don't have to reformat the drive, but doing a clean re-install of Windows (by whichever method) is definitely a good idea.

Rip The Jacker
07-18-2003, 12:45 AM
Yea you don't have to format, but it would be better to get a fresh new start! :)