PDA

View Full Version : Why is my upload so slow?

tweakz
11-16-2007, 11:09 PM
I have a good connection and i always get such slow upload speeds like 10kb. Can someone tell me why it's like that? Thx! :)

This is my connection...

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1276/speedtestgd7.jpg

Brandon
11-16-2007, 11:14 PM
Traffic shaping/filtering? It's a possibility..

tweakz
11-16-2007, 11:15 PM
I'm sorry Brandon...but i don't understand what u mean?

P.S how do i fix it?

Polarbear
11-16-2007, 11:22 PM

P.S how do i fix it?

there can be various reasons for a slow upload:
-not connectable
-an isp that throttles
-encryption on/off
-overseeded torrents
-wrong client settings
and so on

try to be more specific and give as much details as possible.

it's more easy for people to help you if they can narrrow your problem.

Brandon
11-16-2007, 11:27 PM
Traffic shaping or filtering is basically a way for certain ISP's to throttle (slow down) certain type of traffic, like torrents. When I was using the University connection my freshman year of college, they did the same thing. I could download at 11mB/s and upload onto ftp's at 11mB/s, but torrents went at 5kB/s.

Some do it to conserve network throughput, and some do it to thwart people away from filesharing.

What ISP do you have?

tweakz
11-16-2007, 11:27 PM

P.S how do i fix it?

there can be various reasons for a slow upload:
-not connectable
-an isp that throttles
-encryption on/off
-overseeded torrents
-wrong client settings
and so on

try to be more specific and give as much details as possible.

it's more easy for people to help you if they can narrrow your problem.

Well i am connectable...and encryption is on in utorrent...and im not quiet sure how to setup my utorrent....and i dont know if my isp throttles....so i really don't no much more....but what i do know, is that i would love to take advantage of my connection and seed to the fullest. I can't wait untill i fix it!

boobly
11-16-2007, 11:29 PM
what isp do you have, maybe we can help you out. If its comcast your more than likely being throttled

Polarbear
11-16-2007, 11:31 PM
try a different port. use 65000.

but as i said - many possible reasons. hard to sort out in a forum.

tweakz
11-16-2007, 11:42 PM
So if i am being throttled, is it really worth it for me to download from private sites? or can i fix it some how?

boobly
11-17-2007, 12:38 AM
Depends how bad you are being throttled. I would say no unless you get a seedbox

tweakz
11-17-2007, 12:42 AM
Depends how bad you are being throttled. I would say no unless you get a seedbox

So i can't remove my throttle from my loser isp?

I don't get this...now we canadians have the new law downloading for personnel use is ok and they throttle are asses...wtf
should i talk to them

Demigod
11-17-2007, 12:56 AM
I wouldn't recommend complaining to the authorities saying that you're downloading potentially copyrighted content and that your upload speed is too slow.

By the way, has your upload always been so slow or did it just recently become so? If it has always been like that, then it's probably the ISP (either the speed sucks or it's throttling). If not, then perhaps, you need to check some of your settings?

Good luck nevertheless.

tweakz
11-17-2007, 01:07 AM
The only reason why i said should i talk to them, is coz im from canada....read this
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-news-section-95/t-rcmp-tolerates-piracy-personal-use-249151

WhoopDeDoo
11-17-2007, 01:37 AM
Why don't you answer the people's main question of WHAT ISP ARE YOU USING?

You seem to be avoiding answering this. If you told us maybe you could get some actual help out of this thread.

kostnkost
11-17-2007, 01:42 AM
Yes starting from the basics and working from there will help.

What ISP do you use.

Here in New York they not only throttle you but actually cap your uploads to the point where you can not even upload anything.

tweakz
11-17-2007, 01:52 AM
Why don't you answer the people's main question of WHAT ISP ARE YOU USING?

You seem to be avoiding answering this. If you told us maybe you could get some actual help out of this thread.

fine...I'm with cogeco cable ontario canada

I FINALY FOUND OUT WHAT IT IS. I did some google and found out that my isp is throttling me....those C SUCKERS!!!!!!!!
I will change isp coz of this....screw their ass!

Indes
11-17-2007, 03:56 AM
I would go with PolarBear and try using different ports and see if that helps with your throttling issue