PDA

View Full Version : Patio Heaters

bigboab
11-17-2007, 08:19 AM
In the light of the threats of global warning should patio heaters be banned? A few public houses that I know have outside 'smoking area' where people are sitting under large canopies or umbrellas. They are surrounded by patio heaters to keep them comfortable. How much energy is this wasting?

In my area and I am sure a few others they have become the latest status symbol. Come to think of it, having glass in your windows in my area is a status symbol.:lol:

Skiz
11-17-2007, 08:43 AM
Should we ban lawn mowers, too? Surely the combined heat from them is far more than a few patio heaters.

bigboab
11-17-2007, 08:54 AM
Should we ban lawn mowers, too? Surely the combined heat from them is far more than a few patio heaters.

You lawn does need to be cut however. I don't mean yours in particular.:)

Skiz
11-17-2007, 09:06 AM

Needing to be cut and using a modern lawn mower are two different subjects. The traditional push style mower (not sure the exact name) work just fine for plenty of years. My Father in fact still uses one at their second home.

Like patio heaters, modern lawn movers are a luxury. As are plenty of other heat producing objects - Boats, go-carts, leaf blowers, snowmobiles.... there are a thousand mechanical luxuries that expel heat.

If Global warming it hot on your list of priorities (no pun intended), then patio heaters should be #1001 on list of item to eliminate.

Besides, I'd be willing to bet that the winter cold where they are being used, neutralizes that heat after about 10 feet of air travel.

bigboab
11-17-2007, 09:10 AM

Needing to be cut and using a modern lawn mower are two different subjects. The traditional push style mower (not sure the exact name) work just fine for plenty of years. My Father in fact still uses one at their second home.

Like patio heaters, modern lawn movers are a luxury. As are plenty of other heat producing objects - Boats, go-carts, leaf blowers, snowmobiles.... there are a thousand mechanical luxuries that expel heat.

If Global warming it hot on your list of priorities (no pun intended), then patio heaters should be #1001 on list of item to eliminate.

I agree about the other energy using objects. Nearly all of them have a purpose. The sole purpose of the patio heater is to heat the atmosphere.

Skiz
11-17-2007, 09:17 AM
I agree about the other energy using objects. Nearly all of them have a purpose. The sole purpose of the patio heater is to heat the atmosphere.

Sure they have a purpose; so does the patio heater - it keeps people warm. A leaf blower blows leaves around while putting off heat and blowing fairly hot air.

Both are luxury items that put hot air into the environment. The reason is moot.

clocker
11-17-2007, 03:36 PM
Both are luxury items that put hot air into the environment. The reason is moot.
I don't think that in either case the issue is the "heat" the device puts in the air, rather, it's the energy required to produce the heat in the first place.

Skiz
11-17-2007, 03:41 PM
That was essentially my point in post #4.

100%
11-17-2007, 03:44 PM
But patio heaters sure do make the outdoors more comfy,
hence they motivate people to be outside,
hence closer to nature,
hence causing awareness of the natura.
win win

The only thing i miss with patio heaters is that they don't give you a sun tan.

Busyman™
11-17-2007, 08:13 PM
In the light of the threats of global warning should patio heaters be banned? A few public houses that I know have outside 'smoking area' where people are sitting under large canopies or umbrellas. They are surrounded by patio heaters to keep them comfortable. How much energy is this wasting?

In my area and I am sure a few others they have become the latest status symbol. Come to think of it, having glass in your windows in my area is a status symbol.:lol:

Are you joking?

The heat from patio heaters has nothing to do with global warming.

Maybe you should talk about banning fire pits since that's much more applicable.

You have got to be joking unless you are talking about what's used to fuel patio heaters....like propane and gas.

The ones I've seen personally, use electricity.

bigboab
11-17-2007, 08:52 PM

Are you joking?

Maybe you should talk about banning fire pits since that's much more applicable.

You have got to be joking unless you are talking about what's used to fuel patio heaters....like propane and gas.

I was referring to the unnecessary use of power. Whether it be electricity, gas etc.
I honestly don't know what fire pits are. I would be guessing if I said those deep pits where they roast full carcasses. I most areas in the UK you are not even allowed to burn garden rubbish.

Busyman™
11-18-2007, 01:53 AM
Are you joking?

I was referring to the unnecessary use of power. Whether it be electricity, gas etc.
I honestly don't know what fire pits are. I would be guessing if I said those deep pits where they roast full carcasses. I most areas in the UK you are not even allowed to burn garden rubbish.

Unnecessary? It's an outside heater.:blink:

This is a fire pit, btw.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51MlOZVJiJL._AA280_.jpg

At my last cookout it was a wee bit chilly and many of us sat around one.

I thought about a patio heater but realized it was a very low priority.

bigboab
11-18-2007, 08:29 AM

Unnecessary? It's an outside heater.:blink:

This is a fire pit, btw.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51MlOZVJiJL._AA280_.jpg

At my last cookout it was a wee bit chilly and many of us sat around one.

I thought about a patio heater but realized it was a very low priority.

That is the first time I have ever seen one of them. Thanks.:)

Barbarossa
11-19-2007, 10:22 AM
Why pick on patio heaters?

If you're going to ban patio heaters then conversely you should ban air-conditioning, which I would reckon is a much greater contributor to global warming. (if it has any contribution at all)