PDA

View Full Version : Can't play NFS Pro, good Setup.

worldpease
11-17-2007, 07:33 PM
Well, I just got Need For Speed Pro for PC(RELOADED release) but I have not been able to get it to work properly,
as soon as the race starts, my PC wont respond,
for example, if I want to go 'left', it takes like half a minute to respond,
basically the controls respond as if I had a very poor setup, like when you install a new game on an old PC.

my setup is:
- Core 2 Duo E4400 2GHz
(2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz)
- 2GB Ram
- ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro
- Turtle Beach Riviera 5.1
- 80GB + 300GB HDD (not sure if important)
- (Game is mounted with Daemon)

so from what the minimal requirements for this game are,
I would think that my PC could easily play it.
Any thoughts or idea of what the problem might be?

From what I've heard of this game, it might not be worth all the truble,
but still I believe it would be good to know if this setup can handle it, so I have an idea if I get more games in the future.

- -

Shiranai_Baka
11-18-2007, 04:47 AM
What settings are you playing it at?

worldpease
11-18-2007, 05:29 AM
What settings are you playing it at?

The lowest settings, I turned all the audio effects, video detail and quality to the lowest setting, also the video resolution.
But still it wont work, freaking game.
It might have to do with the processor being a dual core
and the game not taking full advantage of it.
I dunno.

Shiranai_Baka
11-18-2007, 07:38 AM
It should definitely work fine with low settings. Try reinstalling the game?

BawA
11-18-2007, 08:27 AM
its m8 be Defragment or Driver Issue, with those hardwares you should be able to play on more then medium setting.
try reinstalling DX, you can find it on N4S disc.

worldpease
11-18-2007, 05:03 PM
It should definitely work fine with low settings. Try reinstalling the game?

with those hardwares you should be able to play on more then medium setting.
Right!, That what I thought,
I will try the re-install stuff today, and I'll let you know.

peat moss
11-18-2007, 05:20 PM
You mounted with Daemon right ? Mabye burn the ISO , install the game then try . Have you looked at the game site for answers , mabye theres a fix or a driver update . You seem to have all the goodies to play it . Hell it might just be a bad file you D/L 'd ?

hvymetal86
11-18-2007, 07:42 PM
I just ran the demo the other day on my AMD 64 3400+ (single core, OCed to 2.58GHz), 1Gb RAM, ATI X800 Pro (256Mb) and it was playable on the lowest settings (although it looked like shit). I don't think your hardware is the problem. I would guess something in the installed went wrong or some other software problem with the OS or a conflicting problem. You should defrag like BawA mentioned:

its m8 be Defragment or Driver Issue, with those hardwares you should be able to play on more then medium setting.
try reinstalling DX, you can find it on N4S disc.

and also run a chkdsk.

worldpease
11-18-2007, 08:37 PM
I works!!! Lol.
I did defragmented, re-installed and even updated drivers,
and still it wouldn't run.
Then I did what 'peat moss' suggested, I went to the EA forums and among lots of stuff
someone mentioned that from the Task Manager you could set the priority the processor would give each process, so I went, right click the nfs.exe prosseces and set the Affinity to one core only... and there, it worked.
I dunno what the deal is, I would have thought that Two cores would be better but well, I guess I just don't understand Dual Core as good as I thought.
Thanks guys, always helpful.

Shiranai_Baka
11-19-2007, 10:23 PM
are you using AMD or intel? AMD has a dual core optimizer program. That program fixed several games for my other friends who've had to set the affinity.

lynx
11-20-2007, 01:46 AM
This sort of problem comes when a system has been tested on a single processor system, but the software actually has multiple threads.

With a single processor, the cpu is released to another thread and the main thread is forced to pause. Consequently any changes to shared data areas can be detected by the other threads. In a multi-core/processor system the main thread rarely pauses, and if the software is poorly written the changes made by one thread may be overwritten by another thread.

The result in this case seems to be that there are big delays because the main thread is waiting for the subsidiary thread to signal an input, while at the same time overwriting the marker telling it that there has been an input. There are software mechanisms to prevent this, but it sounds like they haven't been implemented properly.

The problem is worse when you've got two distinct pieces of software, particularly if one is a driver. In this situation you can't lock them to the same core/processor. I recently had to overcome this problem with a Cherry keyboard driver (built-in credit card stripe reader). Fortunately Cherry had tested their software and allowed for a delay so that you could actually process some data before they fired the next character into the buffer. The problem would have been resolved a lot quicker if they had documented why they had allowed this delay, instead of making me guess at the solution. :rolleyes: