PDA

View Full Version : UK driving test question

Skweeky
11-18-2007, 03:26 PM
Would I lose points for shifting gear whilst going round a roundabout?

BawA
11-18-2007, 03:31 PM
you must change to 2nd before going round, more then that you cant cuz you must use both hands while starring, only in str8 line you can change between gears.

Skweeky
11-18-2007, 03:34 PM
hmmm... but what if I'm standing still before going on it? I can't pull away in 2nd

BawA
11-18-2007, 03:37 PM
thats what am saying, before going round!! once you enter roundabout you must change to 2nd, anyway you'll fail if you dont change to 2nd in 4 sec's(after 20km).

Skweeky
11-18-2007, 03:41 PM
How can I change to 2nd before going round if I'm standing still???
I'd be in 1st to pull away, so that would get me on the roundabout :huh:

BawA
11-18-2007, 03:43 PM
listen...
you take last lane on left to enter a roundabout if going str8 or left once you enter roundabout you're still going str8 so you have time to change but once you take curve you cant change.

Snee
11-18-2007, 03:47 PM
So, you got a uk driving license, then, bawa?

solaris
11-18-2007, 03:48 PM
just give some bribe it works all the time :whistling

BawA
11-18-2007, 03:50 PM
no but here in UAE driving rules are pretty much same, it was taken from British... but since some years they started to replace roundabouts by Yellow Junctions, their better in busy cities.

Sextent
11-18-2007, 05:34 PM

:lol::earl:

Sextent
11-18-2007, 05:43 PM
Skweeky

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070338

Not and definitive as bAWa but may give you some clues.

With regard to your question, if I was going onto a roundabout from a standing start I certainly wouldn't leave the car in first gear the whole way. Several reasons for that. Firstly you would not be able to build up sufficient speed to drive safely. Secondly it would not demonstrate sympathy for the vehicle, over-revving it. Thirdly I can think of no reason not to change gear.

Obviously if you are moving and don't have to stop then on approach you should adjust your speed and gear to make the manoeuvre. However the same goes for a corner, a bend in the road or a junction. Bearing in mind that by doing so you can use engine retardation to slow the vehicle which is better than using the brakes.

Elysium
11-18-2007, 06:52 PM
just as i guideline for taking the test, if its minor roads or B roads, they usually teach you to take it in 2nd. If you have to give way and stop, then of course its ok to pull away in 1st gear as long as you shift up a gear as soon as you are up to speed and dont ride the clutch (dont "roll" round the corner, "drive" around it).

When youre on A or M roads (dual carrigeways, motorways etc) approaching a roundabout at speed, then they normally teach you to bring your speed down to prepare for it, but take it in 3rd gear.. Same applies as before if you have to give way and stop.

Sextent
11-18-2007, 06:59 PM
Roundabout on a motorway. :blink:

Elysium
11-18-2007, 07:05 PM
sliproad junctions etc...

Sextent
11-18-2007, 07:35 PM
There's no motorway driving involved in the test, unless there's been a substantial change in the law since last year.

Skweeky
11-18-2007, 08:11 PM
No, there's not, but if, for example you would take the A road from Airdrie to Auchenkilns roundabout ( a dual carriageway with 70mph speed limit), you would come accross some roundabouts.

Anyway, thanks for the replies

Rat Faced
11-18-2007, 08:45 PM
Just put your foot down.

If he has his eyes closed he cant specify what you failed on...

Skweeky
11-18-2007, 08:46 PM
:lol:

Sextent
11-18-2007, 09:14 PM
No, there's not, but if, for example you would take the A road from Airdrie to Auchenkilns roundabout ( a dual carriageway with 70mph speed limit), you would come accross some roundabouts.

Anyway, thanks for the replies

The chances of you getting to that roundabout, from that direction, during daylight hours and not having to stop are fairly slim.

Bottom line, pull away in first and change to second when appropriate. If you were going towards Castlecarry and tried to do that roundabout in 1st you would be a mental. Fuck you'd almost certainly be in 3rd by the time you cleared the hazard.

Skweeky
11-18-2007, 09:33 PM
Yeah, it's kinda self explanatory when the roundabout is big enough, it's the wee ones I worry about, like the ones at Lenziemill

Sextent
11-18-2007, 09:47 PM
Yeah, it's kinda self explanatory when the roundabout is big enough, it's the wee ones I worry about, like the ones at Lenziemill

Same rules apply. If you have to change gear then do so.

Bearing in mind that you only ever use 1st for pulling away and will generally only be in that gear for a matter of seconds.

The trick to passing the test, if such a thing exists, is to show that you are a thoughtful driver and are conscious of what you are doing. Preparing in advance for each manoeuvre. So ideally you won't stop at a roundabout you will slow on approach and drive straight on. Only if you are 100% certain it is safe to do so tho'.

Never go over the speed limit, I know that sounds obvious but it's a must.

Never be so close that you can't see the bottom of the tyres of the car in front, even when stopped. Otherwise you are too close.

Make sure the examiner can see you using mirrors etc when appropriate. Mirror, signal manoeuvre.

Always adjust everything before moving off, or at least appear to do so.

The biggest tip - drive within your ability. Your instructor has put you forward because you are ready to pass the test. The examiner is there to see if you are safe to be on the road, that's all. He / she is not there to see how good a driver you are. People fail because they want to show the examiner that they are a good driver and they try to drive to their limit, or beyond. You don't need to do that. Keep it simple and safe and you will pass.

Number 2 son failed a couple of times because he was trying to show the examiner he was good. I told him to have as his mantra "drive within yourself" and he passed the next test.

True story.

Skweeky
11-18-2007, 09:50 PM
Interesting

I've not had a lesson yet from an instructor though. Will just get a few before sitting my test

Sextent
11-18-2007, 10:02 PM
That's a good idea. Also make sure you sit the test in a driving school car, immediately after a lesson. It just looks better and you are warmed up.

We did the opposite tho', after number 2 had a few lessons and learned how to drive he failed a couple of times. I took him out and taught him how to pass the test, in addition to showing him how to do real driving. He was driving on dual carriageways at 60, accelerating properly away from roundabouts, moving onto busy main roads all that sort of stuff. It meant that when he next sat the test it was a piece of pish, driving within his limits. We just booked 3 hours. A refresher with the instructor, then 2 hours for the day, one for the pre-test lesson and one for the test.

Another true story.

Skweeky
11-18-2007, 10:11 PM
I don't want to sit my test in a driving school car, I find it difficult to adjust to new biting points

Rat Faced
11-18-2007, 10:14 PM
I find it difficult to adjust to new biting points

Not what you told me :whistling

Skweeky
11-18-2007, 10:17 PM
Shut up you :lol:

Sextent
11-18-2007, 10:23 PM
I don't want to sit my test in a driving school car, I find it difficult to adjust to new biting points

That's why we got the other lessons.

Once he had got the "refresher" he didn't drive mine again, for exactly that reason. Then he drove the same car for an hour prior to the test, so he was used to it.

However you should do what makes you comfortable and relaxed. Make sure your car is totally clean inside and out tho'.

Skweeky
11-18-2007, 10:31 PM
Can I ask the examiner to sit in the back seat?

Sextent
11-18-2007, 10:37 PM
Can I ask the examiner to sit in the back seat?

:lol: No.

TAKING THE PRACTICAL DRIVING TEST

Remember you can't take the practical driving test until you've passed the driving theory test and hazard perception test. The practical driving test is about making sure that those who pass are competent and safe in the basic skills of driving.

Before the practical driving test begins you will be required to pass an eyesight test. You must be able to read a new style number plate from a distance of 20.5 metres. If you fail this test then the practical driving test will go no further. You will fail full stop. If you pass the eyesight test you will then take the show me, tell me test. For information on the show me, tell me test follow the link above.

During the practical test you will be expected to drive for about 40 minutes in various road driving situations. You will be asked to perform two of the three reversing manoeuvres, either parallel parking, reversing into a side road or bay parking. You may also be required to perform an emergency stop.

IN ORDER TO PASS THE PRACTICAL DRIVING TEST, YOU MUST DRIVE

Without committing any serious or dangerous fault or without committing more than 15 driving errors of a less serious nature.

Dangerous Driving Faults - a fault that results in actual danger. Commit such a fault and you will fail the practical test immediately.

Serious Driving Faults - this is when a potentially dangerous incident occurs, when the candidate reveals a recurring driving fault or fails to perform a manoeuvre (parallel parking, bay parking, reversing into a side road, turn in the road, emergency stop) correctly. Receive a serious fault and you will fail the practical test.

Minor Driving Faults - less serious faults, such as hesitating too long at a junction, faults that don't provide any immediate danger. Receive 15 or more minor driving faults and you will fail the practical test.

TOP TEN REASONS WHY PEOPLE FAIL THE PRACTICAL DRIVING TEST

Observation at Junctions : Ineffective observation and judgment

Reverse Parallel Parking : Ineffective observation or lack of accuracy

Use of Mirrors : Not checking or not acting on what is seen

Reversing Around a Corner : Ineffective observation or lack of accuracy

Incorrect Use of Signals : Not canceling or giving misleading signals

Moving Away Safely : Ineffective observation

Incorrect Positioning : At roundabouts or bends

Lack of Steering Control : Steering too early or too late

Incorrect Positioning : to turn right at junctions and in one way streets

Inappropriate Speed : Going too slow or being hesitant

http://www.driving-test-success.com/

Rat Faced
11-18-2007, 10:38 PM
Can I ask the examiner to sit in the back seat with me?

Thats certainly one way to pass... :unsure:

Sextent
11-18-2007, 10:39 PM
:drummer:

Skweeky
11-18-2007, 10:41 PM
My brother in law said his examiner sat in the back seat when he sat his test for the 7th time

Sextent
11-18-2007, 10:47 PM
My brother in law said his examiner sat in the back seat when he sat his test for the 7th time

Sometimes there is another person in the car. That is someone who is checking up on the examiner, they are nothing to do with the test per se. They sit in the back seat, normally behind the driver, so as not to be seen.

I have never heard of the actual examiner sitting anywhere other than in the front seat beside the driver. I don't see how that would be legal, given that the driver only has a provisional licence.

Rat Faced
11-18-2007, 10:55 PM
True, the examiner has to be in the front so that (s)he can see everything the driver does and to allow the driver to stay within the law.

Skweeky
11-18-2007, 11:02 PM
excellent... that means they won't be able to see my speedometer :lol:

WarrenBuffet
11-19-2007, 02:46 AM
ARE YOU FUCKS SERIOUS? In the US, or at least Kentucky, You answer 20 multiple choice questions and if you get at least a 60 percent, you get a license.

Jiggles
11-19-2007, 03:01 AM
^ thats because the u.s is crap compared to the U.K.

and im assuming its the same when getting a gun license in the u.s. :dry:

Hairbautt
11-19-2007, 03:08 AM
ARE YOU FUCKS SERIOUS? In the US, or at least Kentucky, You answer 20 multiple choice questions and if you get at least a 60 percent, you get a license.
Florida too., tho' we have to be able to perform an actual driving test with an instructor which is total BS. You're only going 5 MPH and they take points off for the stupidest shit like "Not properly seated." Apparently, you have to get a ruler out and make sure you have 10 inches between the wheel and your chest.

:rolleyes:

I remember when we did a "pretend park" I got a point off for not turning off my engine. FFS, if I was really parking and not doing this half-ass bullshit, I wouldn't of forgotten.

MaaxHimself
11-19-2007, 03:28 AM
In the US, we got to drive an automatic trans, didn't have to parallel park, and took an easy ass test to get a license. 1.9 years running and no speeding tickets/wrecks!

n18
11-19-2007, 03:11 PM
In the US, we got to drive an automatic trans, didn't have to parallel park, and took an easy ass test to get a license. 1.9 years running and no speeding tickets/wrecks!
It all depends on the state, don't generalize "In the US".

Barbarossa
11-19-2007, 03:12 PM

Yes, if you shift it into reverse... :whistling

Skweeky
11-19-2007, 06:10 PM
Yargh

I just drove home from work
I'm exhausted! It was pissing it down as well

Sextent
11-19-2007, 07:46 PM

Yes, if you shift it into reverse... :whistling

Unless you'd passed your exit, then it would make sense to reverse back to it.

Something Else
11-19-2007, 07:47 PM
Don't tell her that! She's probably dangerous enough....