PDA

View Full Version : Good Seedbox - Please Help

AkaiDoresu
11-21-2007, 06:45 PM
OK, i know many threads have been posted here but I have specific question.

I need a seedbox up to 50$, and I need to upload about 2TB.
Vectoral has funny limits of 500gb-1TB, i can upload that much using cheap server for 20$, even leeware was capable of uploading that amount of data and it was 2 times cheaper.

I was thinking about ovh, they have not BW limit but they dont sell it to USA, and I dont want to pay right now in foreign currency using dollars since they u.s. dollars are so low right now and price would be even higher that it should be...

I think 50bucks is enough to get a server with 2TB upload possibility. Can you recommend anything?

DanielleD87
11-21-2007, 08:14 PM
from my experience 1tb or unlimited quota. i'm sure there are companies that offer different.

for 50 you could get unlimited with slow speeds or 1 tb where your speed will max out that you are paying for.

fsephie
11-21-2007, 08:17 PM
Any particular reccomendation for something in the 50 dollar 1tb range? And does that include both upload and download? Not trying to hijack the thread, I'm just thinking that with whatever money I'll be getting around Christmas I might invest...

boobly
11-21-2007, 08:24 PM
dedimove is a little higher than your price range but worth the money. I have seen some good speeds so far.

Cheffy
11-21-2007, 10:35 PM
I doublt you are going to be able to find a 2tb dedicated server for 50 bucks. You might find some vps or shared boxes. But not you own 100mbit connection.Think you have to double the price if you want that.

When i was looking for one i looked at around 40 different companies, and none of them could offer something in that price range.

Artemis
11-21-2007, 10:43 PM
the closest I have found is the vectoral Spyro server with 2TB of bw for $69.95, there are cheaper servers with 1TB, and the speed from vectoral is excellent.
http://www.vectoral.info/servers.htm

Cheffy
11-21-2007, 11:04 PM
Artemis, you have to remember that its a 10 dollar setup fee as well.
So the first moth is going to be 80 bucks :)

Artemis
11-21-2007, 11:20 PM
agreed there are set up fees with some of the companies, vectoral do have setup fees on most servers, it really is a case of shopping around though.

fsephie
11-21-2007, 11:56 PM
So with setting up the OS on a vectoral seedbox, how is windows xp? Do I need server edition or what? I'd just rather get a lot of my questions out of the way before I drop bank on this.

arkiebrian
11-22-2007, 12:59 AM
OK, i know many threads have been posted here but I have specific question.

I need a seedbox up to 50$, and I need to upload about 2TB.
Vectoral has funny limits of 500gb-1TB, i can upload that much using cheap server for 20$, even leeware was capable of uploading that amount of data and it was 2 times cheaper.

I was thinking about ovh, they have not BW limit but they dont sell it to USA, and I dont want to pay right now in foreign currency using dollars since they u.s. dollars are so low right now and price would be even higher that it should be...

I think 50bucks is enough to get a server with 2TB upload possibility. Can you recommend anything?

I ordered a seedbox from Vectoral today. I only got the minimum (500 GB) to start and I'll see how that lasts. With having to FTP from the server to my home, that's like DLing the files twice so that will eat up the bandwidth, but hopefully not too quick. It's $30 a month for this and $40 for 1TB.

Mine's set up with Fedora and I haven't decided which client I'll use for sure but I believe I'll use TorrentFlux or Ktorrent.

As of right now setup is still pending...ordered about 6 hours ago.

So with setting up the OS on a vectoral seedbox, how is windows xp? Do I need server edition or what? I'd just rather get a lot of my questions out of the way before I drop bank on this.

Windows will cost about $25 a month more. Running Linux is far cheaper. All you have to do is run a couple of command lines and then you can have VNC Server running which is just like Windows Remote Desktop.

luckyaba
11-22-2007, 06:49 AM
What distro did you get it loaded with?

What did you do to get the VNC setup?

Fibre
11-24-2007, 03:22 AM
Get Debian/Ubuntu.

apt-get install xorg
apt-get install xfce4
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
apt-get install vncserver
vncserver -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16