PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remember this software?

KazaaBoy
11-26-2007, 04:51 AM
They used to compress games from 700MB to around 12MB. I remember they used some programing with a compression programe and it was insane. Anyone remember what was the name or how they done it?

optimus_prime
11-26-2007, 01:44 PM
no such thing :noes:

AuReDo
11-26-2007, 02:45 PM
i don't believe it exists such kind of program ..... but if it exists , it will be awesome
:)

KazaaBoy
11-26-2007, 07:07 PM
It does exist. I remember people posting about them in 2002-2003 in the old forums. We downloaded games from kazaalite. It was some sort of extreme compression that can compress files from 90MB to 9MB. But you had to do some programing with it in a DOS format or something like that.

Damn I forgot the name!

zapjb
11-26-2007, 08:25 PM
Yeah a magical 50/1 compression. As said before. No such thing. Otherwise it'd be everywhere & have a GUI.

KazaaBoy
11-26-2007, 09:53 PM
It does exist but I guess there is no point in aeguing about it. I remember it very well and clear. Nevermind, I guess its lost now.

Appzalien
11-26-2007, 10:21 PM
KGB compressor, it will compress to really small files but it takes forever to compress and extract the files as well. Not many gamers use it anymore, it just takes too long for todays multi gig games.

4play
11-26-2007, 10:28 PM
yeah i do remember something along these lines but it was not kgb. I once downloaded command and conquer generals and it was 300mb compressed and 1.5 gigs uncompressed. In fairness it took 3 hours to uncompress.

might be uharc (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WinUHA)

KazaaBoy
11-26-2007, 11:16 PM
That is the one. Thanks for backing me up 4play. Thats it. Where is the best place to download it with a gui?

optimus_prime
11-26-2007, 11:28 PM
no there is no such thing :)
kgb compressor often makes broken archives.
it will unpack but unpacked files won't work. there is NO such compression :)

Appzalien
11-27-2007, 01:28 AM
http://www.klaimsoft.com/winuha/

mbucari1
11-27-2007, 05:28 AM
I downloaded civil 3d 2007 from demonoid about a year ago and it was packed VERY tight. wasn't 10:1 compression, but at least 5:1. It also took FOREVER to extract as others have said. The archiver was winuha. I 3was impressed and tried to use it for other things, but it was just too damn slow.

optimus_prime
11-27-2007, 09:44 PM
nah, "i remember", "i saw", "i heard" won't really help :)
civ 4 is 1.4G and you claim you saw it compressed to 280MB?
you could see something like that on demonoid, maybe even more likely on some public tracker. but there's a reason why you won't find that kind of files on any decent tracker. and that's no conspiracy to keep mega-compression secret. they just don't allow corrupted files :)

as for winuha, uharc has smaller compression ratio than both paq and winrk. after it's marathon compression sessions are over, it's a bit ahead winrar, even less ahead 7-zip, and way below magic.

mbucari1
12-01-2007, 10:57 AM
nah, "i remember", "i saw", "i heard" won't really help :)
civ 4 is 1.4G and you claim you saw it compressed to 280MB?
you could see something like that on demonoid, maybe even more likely on some public tracker. but there's a reason why you won't find that kind of files on any decent tracker. and that's no conspiracy to keep mega-compression secret. they just don't allow corrupted files :)

as for winuha, uharc has smaller compression ratio than both paq and winrk. after it's marathon compression sessions are over, it's a bit ahead winrar, even less ahead 7-zip, and way below magic.This isn't something I "saw". I downloaded the file, had to figure out which tool i needed to extract, then extracted a file which bloated to several times its original size. I then proceeded to INSTALL and USE the application. It was not corrupt, and worked flawlessly.

Tell me, did YOU download that release? if not, please hold your tongue.

optimus_prime
12-01-2007, 04:20 PM
This isn't something I "saw". I downloaded the file, had to figure out which tool i needed to extract, then extracted a file which bloated to several times its original size. I then proceeded to INSTALL and USE the application. It was not corrupt, and worked flawlessly.

Tell me, did YOU download that release? if not, please hold your tongue.

now you're just plain lying. can you find that magical 280mb civ4 anywhere on the internet for us to see?

KazaaBoy
12-01-2007, 10:21 PM
optimus_prime, you are in denial. Most of us have shown you that it is possible but yet you refuse to accept it. This thread is not for you because you are not being helpful.

codester
12-01-2007, 10:44 PM
well it depend on files mainly multimedia one, the type of compression is UHARC i cant remember the exact group that employ it usage, but it was mainly for their RIP releases. But the compression ratio isn't what you stated "700mb to 12mb" thats a bit exaggerated IMO. It was more along the line of 700mb to 250-300mb.

mbucari1
12-02-2007, 08:34 AM
Hell, I could make a 1GB binary file that could be compressed to a few KB with winrar (have done it). Compression depends on the compressibility of the file. It also depends on what type of file is being compressed and how the algorithm processes the data. 7z probably offers the best compression on average, but it sucks at compressing wavs. However, ape is phenomenal at wav compression.

I don't know the theory behind winuha's algorithm, but SOMETHING about it makes it more efficient at compressing specific files (such as the libraries of an application).

optimus_prime
12-02-2007, 10:09 AM
optimus_prime, you are in denial. Most of us have shown you that it is possible but yet you refuse to accept it. This thread is not for you because you are not being helpful.

yeah, right :)
neither of you actually shown anything, and that's no wonder, because such compression doesn't exist. if your goal is to confuse or entertain people, i don't mind you claiming you personally performed nuclear fusion in your room. but then keep it in the lounge section. there is no way your blatant misinformations will pass here :)

Hell, I could make a 1GB binary file that could be compressed to a few KB with winrar (have done it). Compression depends on the compressibility of the file. It also depends on what type of file is being compressed and how the algorithm processes the data. 7z probably offers the best compression on average, but it sucks at compressing wavs. However, ape is phenomenal at wav compression.

you can make a 4 byte file that would unpack into 2TB :) it would contain letters "2TBx" and on unpacking special unpacker would create 2TB file filled with letter x. but that's besides the point. also, multimedia compression algorithms are whole different ball game, let's for now stick to general data packers.
compression algorithms are under development and focus of specialized communities, there is no mystery, and no unknown magical compression. highest level of packing comes with paq and winrk. for normal usage 7z offers just a bit stronger compression than winrar. that said i would still pick winrar, and the scene obviously agrees :yup:

optimus_prime
12-02-2007, 10:19 AM
*delete*

optimus_prime
12-02-2007, 10:20 AM

yeah, right :)
neither of you actually shown anything, and that's no wonder, because such compression doesn't exist. if your goal is to confuse or entertain people, i don't mind you claiming you personally performed nuclear fusion in your room. but then keep it in the lounge section. there is no way your blatant misinformations will pass here :)

you can make a 4 byte file that would unpack into 2TB :) it would contain letters "2TBx" and on unpacking special unpacker would create 2TB file filled with letter x. but that's besides the point. also, multimedia compression algorithms are whole different ball game, let's for now stick to general data packers.
compression algorithms are under development and focus of specialized communities, there is no mystery, and no unknown magical compression. highest level of packing comes with paq and winrk. for normal usage 7z offers just a bit stronger compression than winrar. that said i would still pick winrar, and the scene obviously agrees :yup:

mbucari1
12-03-2007, 01:15 AM
compression algorithms are under development and focus of specialized communities, there is no mystery, and no unknown magical compression. highest level of packing comes with paq and winrk. for normal usage 7z offers just a bit stronger compression than winrar. that said i would still pick winrar, and the scene obviously agrees :yup:agreed. While you still don't believe me, I know what I saw. I tried to find the same torrent last night, but it was on demonoid and haven't found it on any other site.

and forgot to mention this. The version of civil 3d I saw was stripped down. no documentation or support files. It was between 700 and 800 MB unextracted. That seem a lil more plausible?

Chewie
12-08-2007, 08:43 PM
no there is no such thing :)
kgb compressor often makes broken archives.
it will unpack but unpacked files won't work. there is NO such compression :)
So, two people remember such a program and one provides the name, yet you still insist it doesn't exist?
Back in the day almost all gamez would have a lot of files packed with uharc; you'd need to un-ace the archive to a folder then run the batch file to decompress the archives (often the sound files) to play the game.
I saw a scene rip packed this way fairly recently, though I don't recall the group or the game in question.

optimus_prime
12-26-2007, 03:15 AM
bump!

well just after looking for some other thing, i realised you two answered this post. i get no other posts after mine until i hit reply. i blame that on rossco :)
http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/9040/c1tw5.th.jpg (http://img247.imageshack.us/my.php?image=c1tw5.jpg)

anyway,
@mbucari1, civ 700MB packed to 280 even if existent, obviously ain't 5:1 compression you were talking about :)

@chewie, i don't deny uharc exist i deny it compresses to silly ratios you claim it does :)
and i was there too "back in the days", i don't remember "almost all gamez" had been packed with uharc either, but whatever...

let's refrain from using memories as arguments, scene rips you saw recently make me wander what group rips games today.
anyway, here (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/p-winrar-post2440609/postcount14) is an example of a real proof, this guy noticed huge compression and kept the file, then asked on the forum and got answer. that's the best thing to do with those elusive compressors :)

jeanmik
12-28-2007, 03:56 AM
If the 700mb file had 670 Mb of 0's or an obvious pattern like 101010, then any simple compression like .rar or .zip can compress it to 12mb. Even a file of 10Gb file can be compressed to 12mb.

I don't think the compression scheme was really the reason why the file was so small, but rather how the original file was structured...

stoi
12-28-2007, 05:39 AM
hmm command and conquer was 300meg and 1.5gig uncompressed with uharc, i remember it well, but obviously do not have the file now. but that does not mean it never existed.

I even compressed Breakout on the PS1 with winrar, 700meg CD down to 8meg. again though, dont have it handy so cant prove it, but that doesnt mean it never happened.

But i have to agree with optimus, Uharc is horrible, KGB takes ages same as 7zip (7zip is good for small roms, no good for big ISOs,) Winrar is the one we should all use, and like was already mentioned, the scene use winrar so who are we to argue.

PS: uharc is still used today in PC Game Rips, you never realy see ISO done with uharc.

http://nforce.nl/index.php?switchto=nfos&menu=sections&sectionid=1

most if not all of those will be uharc, even though i havnt downloaded a game rip for years.

PPS: Command And Conquer Generals was actually 180meg, and it was the full game, you just couldnt update it or play online with it.

Real copy was 2CDs, so about 1.4-1.5gig in size.

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-games-22/t-cc-generals-7265

its amazing what crap you remember isnt it :)