PDA

View Full Version : Best Release of Windows XP

respect
11-26-2007, 08:42 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm in doubt on what release of Windows XP I should install on my computer. What is the best Student, Rentail, Corporate or OEM?

I don't carry if requires a activation or something like that, what I want is that works perfectly including the updates.

Thanks

mbucari1
11-27-2007, 05:36 AM
well, if you want it to work perfectly then you're out of luck for any os.

But seeing as you want XP, I'd recommend the XP dark edition v.3. It pretty recent with hotfixes, has a nice vista look, and has tweaked default registry settings.

ButI'd suggest you make you're own "best" version. Use nlite and a copy of xp corp. integrate updates and change default settings. There are also website where you can downloadsoftware packages top integrate with windows.

mr. nails
11-27-2007, 11:58 AM
i've seen the name thrown around in here and never really bothered. this time i looked into it. i honestly don't see why ppl get this dark/black edition. i like the theme, but i read he adds a lot of his own crap as well. it does however look really good. is it's performance the same as regular winxp? is it pure bloatware or can u not install "this guys" addons and what not? i googled the name and have some up with 2 names. one is called win dark the other is called win black. what's the difference?

my add: sp3 should be released here soon. maybe wait and get a copy of that. all reviews have been positive and a favorable boost in performance. :o

Source (http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,139911/article.html).

plap
11-27-2007, 12:12 PM
From what I know dark edition often contains trojans.

respect
11-27-2007, 01:06 PM
I can wait for sp3 because I gonna buy a new computer and I need one OS for him but I don't know what I should install, Maybe I gonna install the Student or Rentail, anyone can say what is the difference of this two releases?
Thanks

t0mmy
11-27-2007, 03:15 PM
yeah ive heard good things about sp3, it will run faster aswell :) like a 10% increase :whistling

clocker
11-27-2007, 03:30 PM
Maybe I gonna install the Student or Rentail, anyone can say what is the difference of this two releases?
Thanks
There is no functional difference between OEM, Retail and Student.
In theory (at least as I understand it), the licensing restrictions are what differentiates the three.

-Retail allows for installation on any PC as long as only one PC is activated at a time.
This means that as you upgrade the hardware (say from s939 to Intel Core2) the OS can be transferred as well.

-OEM is tied to the hardware on which it was originally installed by the manufacturer.
In theory, when your eMachines with XP dies, that copy of XP dies with it.
In practice I have found this is not true. OEM versions seem to require phone activation more frequently than the other two but I have never been denied a new code.

-Student is simply a budget priced version of the OS sold through special agreements with schools.
My version of XP Pro is over 4 years old and was purchased through the U of Iowa for $6.70...brand new and legal.
It's still in use (on this very PC), has seen multiple hardware configurations and been activated countless times with no problems.

zdzichu007
11-27-2007, 06:21 PM
I use Linux ubuntu :-) But seriously i have else windows xp prof sp2

zapjb
11-27-2007, 08:19 PM
I like straight up Corp/VLK nLite'd by me.

lightshow
11-28-2007, 02:40 AM
I usually just grab the latest integrated eth0 release of Xp Pro Corp Sp2 off irc

peat moss
11-28-2007, 02:50 AM
I like any Corp but have been giving XP Black "Gold " to my friends minus the Trojan of course . :cool:

MaaxHimself
11-28-2007, 02:51 AM
I like any Corp but have been giving XP Black "Gold " to my friends minus the Trojan of course . :cool:
Thats no fun! :whistling

peat moss
11-28-2007, 02:56 AM
Thats no fun! :whistling

Well any good Virus scan picks it up anyway and has been included in every Black , Indego or Slipstreamed flavour or XP . Very simple to delete after set up , its in the Key folder , just scan and delete .

AmpeD
11-28-2007, 03:07 AM
I just get the untouched w/ the latest version

mr. nails
11-28-2007, 05:53 AM
I just get the untouched w/ the latest version

w3rd

mrbombastic
12-01-2007, 03:15 PM
ive been using windows essential 1.. its good much better than the standard xp edition and it contains the bare neccessities.

Hackerx72
12-01-2007, 05:13 PM
Maybe I gonna install the Student or Rentail, anyone can say what is the difference of this two releases?
Thanks
There is no functional difference between OEM, Retail and Student.
In theory (at least as I understand it), the licensing restrictions are what differentiates the three.

-Retail allows for installation on any PC as long as only one PC is activated at a time.
This means that as you upgrade the hardware (say from s939 to Intel Core2) the OS can be transferred as well.

-OEM is tied to the hardware on which it was originally installed by the manufacturer.
In theory, when your eMachines with XP dies, that copy of XP dies with it.
In practice I have found this is not true. OEM versions seem to require phone activation more frequently than the other two but I have never been denied a new code.

-Student is simply a budget priced version of the OS sold through special agreements with schools.
My version of XP Pro is over 4 years old and was purchased through the U of Iowa for $6.70...brand new and legal.
It's still in use (on this very PC), has seen multiple hardware configurations and been activated countless times with no problems.WTF xp for 6 fuking bills

clocker
12-02-2007, 01:57 PM
WTF xp for 6 fuking bills
Indeed.
Arguably my best computer purchase ever.

maddoxro
12-02-2007, 03:44 PM
XP Student...best

Skiz
12-02-2007, 03:54 PM
Microsoft.Windows.XP.Professional.Corporate.SP2.Integrated.October.2006.MULTI.IMAGE-ETH0

That has worked perfectly for me for around 14 months now. Zero problems.

peat moss
12-02-2007, 04:44 PM
Microsoft.Windows.XP.Professional.Corporate.SP2.Integrated.October.2006.MULTI.IMAGE-ETH0

Yep the Etho releases are very good too as they use a Student key and have all the Windows SP2 updates . I think I have one from this year , Oct/07 in my collection .

Its almost become a hobby collecting different Windows to try , I have over 10 XP pro disks not counting my original Corp disk that I used to slipstream with drivers and software . :happy:

helsing
12-02-2007, 08:33 PM
just use the corporate sp2 release, and you'll be fine

grimms
12-04-2007, 05:07 AM
Just get the etho's corp releases or retail.

Swift
12-04-2007, 06:09 PM
i`ve got sp3 (beta) i don`t have anything to argue about it , it works just fine !

QMX
12-05-2007, 08:53 AM
The eth0 releases are the best, corporate edition..

Forged
12-07-2007, 07:11 AM
I use a student edition I payed $10.00 for years ago. I've reformatted and installed it with every computer I have ever bought, better than OEM.

godfather00
12-09-2007, 10:28 PM
I'm using now Win XP Pro SP2, and it's fine for me...

IceTee
12-10-2007, 04:41 PM

Yep the Etho releases are very good too as they use a Student key and have all the Windows SP2 updates . I think I have one from this year , Oct/07 in my collection .

+1 :yup:

Fibre
12-12-2007, 12:33 PM
Student. If you can't locate it, look for Corporate :)

trotest
12-16-2007, 12:06 AM
I think the student release is a good choice as well. This version is actually a real full XP Pro which includes all of known features that the XP Pro has. Plus, you don't have to activate and can still download bugfixes from Microsoft "legally."

wrongun92
12-16-2007, 12:35 AM
I think the student release is a good choice as well. This version is actually a real full XP Pro which includes all of known features that the XP Pro has. Plus, you don't have to activate and can still download bugfixes from Microsoft "legally."

yep the plus point of the student edition is that it does not require a validation test
which is always a good thing and there is no patching required either.