PDA

View Full Version : what do you do with your seedbox?

kooftspc11
11-26-2007, 11:15 PM
what do you guys do with your seedbox? do you use the rss and just download everything that gets posted on the site? or do you just pick a few popular torrents and seed the living shit out of them?

exactly how much money do you make off of huge buffered accounts? i figure there has to be some sort of REAL incentive for you to spend hard earned money on something so trivial like the little number under your username on torrent sites.

t0mmy
11-26-2007, 11:17 PM
i download the torrents, that i will eventually download myself, i just try and grab them as quick as possible, so im given a bigger buffer so i have the flexibility of downloading older torrents, which are insane to seed :)

who sells buffered accounts :s

Bad Blue Boy
11-26-2007, 11:18 PM
why do we use seedbox because we love torrent world m8 and we like to go fast!!! yeah we love the speeds...that is the main reason

kooftspc11
11-26-2007, 11:22 PM
i was being sarcastic about the money.

t0mmy
11-26-2007, 11:26 PM
it gives a greater sense of security some what, because im currently capped and my speeds are atrocious :P, so it helps me able to seed back what i leech instead of waiting to become uncapped, then seeding it back may become a nightmare :whistling:

kooftspc11
11-26-2007, 11:48 PM
it gives a greater sense of security some what, because im currently capped and my speeds are atrocious :P, so it helps me able to seed back what i leech instead of waiting to become uncapped, then seeding it back may become a nightmare :whistling:

point well taken

i guess i never took into consideration that some people really do have terrible bandwidth at home

LoKaLiRi
11-26-2007, 11:53 PM
Seed All my Acc of 1 TB Lol :D

MaaxHimself
11-26-2007, 11:56 PM
What do you I with my seedbox you ask.

Usually go swimming with it or take it for walks...
Maybe thats why it doesn't work?! :frusty::noes:

kooftspc11
11-27-2007, 12:09 AM
What do you I with my seedbox you ask.

Usually go swimming with it or take it for walks...
Maybe thats why it doesn't work?! :frusty::noes:

have you ever seeded all over an open port and then inserted a trojan into the backdoor?

shygrrrl
11-27-2007, 12:37 AM
I jump on new, popular torrents and seed them like crazy to build a buffer for the older, more obscure things I really want to download - which no one ever wants to download from me. :P

I'm on Comcast at home and BT is blocked from school, so it allows me to participate in a way that I wouldn't be able to otherwise.

Artemis
11-27-2007, 12:49 AM
There are three reasons for me, two have already been mentioned I have a bad internet connection so cannot compete with others who have far superior cable connections, and to build a buffer on a/c's so that I can download what I like without having to worry if it will negatively affect my ratio since there is a big enough buffer so that I can download what I like even if it is an old torrent.
But the third reason is security, the IP address that is madly uploading and downloading torrents is in Germany on the other side of the world from me :) no C&D letters for me :naughty::D

Fibre
11-27-2007, 01:12 AM
Not everything is about money :(

mr.Dman
11-27-2007, 02:41 AM
There are three reasons for me, two have already been mentioned I have a bad internet connection so cannot compete with others who have far superior cable connections, and to build a buffer on a/c's so that I can download what I like without having to worry if it will negatively affect my ratio since there is a big enough buffer so that I can download what I like even if it is an old torrent.
But the third reason is security, the IP address that is madly uploading and downloading torrents is in Germany on the other side of the world from me :) no C&D letters for me :naughty::D
I'm with you on this one!I hope it is safer this way.
Because that's what I'm doing also.

SiNa
11-27-2007, 02:54 AM
the one thing i dont agree on is to get the files faster. how the hell is it going get you the file faster when you have to download the file all over again with your real internet connection? if it would go straight to your pc then that would be good, but its not

SgtMajor
11-27-2007, 03:12 AM
the one thing i dont agree on is to get the files faster. how the hell is it going get you the file faster when you have to download the file all over again with your real internet connection? if it would go straight to your pc then that would be good, but its not

But my home up speed is only 1/10 of my down speed (and that is good for here, most are only 1/20), so I can grab & seed from the seedbox and be 1:1 in no time, at the same time FTPing the files back to me at home, believe me - it is quicker! :)

I also upload to other sites, which I like doing, and never in a million years could I do that from home

And my ISP has just cut in half my ISP costs, so it nearly pays for my monthly seedbox, and as mentioned, it keeps your home IP from appearing in the swarm when something big appears and you never know who is watching :)

And considering my phone bills were absolutely huge 10 years ago by being on a 56k modem 20 hours out of 24, what I pay today for my ISP, phone & a seedbox are a pittance in comparison.

I cannot imagine being without my little seedbox these days tbh, it has dramatically improved my torrenting habits.

Sylar666
11-27-2007, 10:24 AM
But my home up speed is only 1/10 of my down speed (and that is good for here, most are only 1/20), so I can grab & seed from the seedbox and be 1:1 in no time, at the same time FTPing the files back to me at home, believe me - it is quicker! :)

I also upload to other sites, which I like doing, and never in a million years could I do that from home

And my ISP has just cut in half my ISP costs, so it nearly pays for my monthly seedbox, and as mentioned, it keeps your home IP from appearing in the swarm when something big appears and you never know who is watching :)

And considering my phone bills were absolutely huge 10 years ago by being on a 56k modem 20 hours out of 24, what I pay today for my ISP, phone & a seedbox are a pittance in comparison.

I cannot imagine being without my little seedbox these days tbh, it has dramatically improved my torrenting habits.
Agree with almost every words, what Sgt. told here. I only add that having a seedbox is a little bit like a game: what to seed, tactics, strategy etc. Not buffering nowadays that much - I already to be considered a ratio- whore on most sites. ;)
And at last but not at least I spare my home computer...It does not have to be on 24- a-day. It lives (nad serves) longer. For example I downloaded Heroes s02e10 in the morning (1 min. 20 seconds), transferred it to my home computer via TotalCommander -FTP, went to work, and I'll watch it when I get back home!

thechile
11-27-2007, 12:01 PM
i use it to download while at work and ftp the stuff down to home pc at night.. i also use it to proxy while in work so i bypass the works stupid content blocking system. nice.

t0mmy
11-27-2007, 12:02 PM
i also take mine for long walks on the beach ;)

Schoolboystuff
11-27-2007, 12:05 PM
At what point would you recommend a Seedbox (in terms of volumes etc)?

SgtMajor
11-27-2007, 06:41 PM

The minute you need to upload more than you download, if you find you are needing that more & more each day, and your up speed is severely curtailed, that is when you need a speedbox, especially if you are from the UK as your flag implies?

Schoolboystuff
11-27-2007, 08:22 PM

The minute you need to upload more than you download, if you find you are needing that more & more each day, and your up speed is severely curtailed, that is when you need a speedbox, especially if you are from the UK as your flag implies?

Thanks - I'll look into it. Can you point me in the direction of the best place to start:unsure:

aysomc
11-27-2007, 08:25 PM
i wish i had a seedbox, i got more done in the 3-4 days i was allowed to borrow one then i have in months of trying to do this on my own and i didnt even have internet for those couple days, i had to add torrents from my dads comp so i could only do that for an hour or 2 a day. :(

t0mmy
11-27-2007, 09:43 PM
yeah thats true, i uploaded more then i could in a few hours that wouldve took me days even weeks :whistling

whiteboy
11-27-2007, 09:52 PM
Boxes are great and it is fun to try to jump on torrents quick . I love the speeds but I dont think you need to always have one. Its defenitly a luxury.

I had mine for 3 months, buffered all my favorite accounts so I could download whatever I want with no worries of ratio.

SgtMajor
11-27-2007, 10:01 PM

Thanks - I'll look into it. Can you point me in the direction of the best place to start:unsure:

Here is good.

Use the search function, look in the tuts forum for an excellent guide, then when you have an idea of what you want to achieve, open a thread here with what you are looking for, those with the knowledge will do their best to point you in the right direction for sure.

Schoolboystuff
11-27-2007, 10:56 PM
Thanks - I'll check it out, it's very interesting

Adman65
11-27-2007, 11:07 PM
If i had a seedbox, i would use it to download all my torrents and then transfer them via FTP at night. Why? Because the xfer rates I could get from my seedbox are faster then what I could get through my ISP. Plus NICE upload speeds. My upload from my isp isn't that great.

gigsy
11-27-2007, 11:10 PM
i download and upload new torrents on my seedbox my isp speed is rubbish id be lost without my box now

t0mmy
11-27-2007, 11:12 PM
your isp is rubbish? look at your speedtest ._.

Adman65
11-27-2007, 11:14 PM

prolly his seed box :(

kooftspc11
11-27-2007, 11:18 PM

prolly his seed box :(

thats rubbish too. i get faster speeds on my bicycle :P