PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Usenet

josephs911
11-28-2007, 01:52 AM
Well I finally decided to make the jump, but now I have a question what service would you recommend. Currently The two i have in mind are NewsDemon, and Giganews what does everyone else use, and are there any tips or anything I should know before starting the whole usenet thing. I have also looked at Newshosting & UseNetServer but neither of them seemed to meet my needs. So any help with this will be wonderful.

Thanks

Tenth
11-28-2007, 03:44 AM
I like Giga it provides encryption. I'm not sure if newsdemon does.

josephs911
11-28-2007, 04:06 AM
I was a little unsure about the whole encryption thing, is that like the encryption in torrenting meaning it disguises your traffic, and is it slower?

start
11-28-2007, 04:06 AM
I just switched from UseNetServer to Giganews and I LOVE IT. Speeds are awesome and you can't beat the 200 day retention.

Skiz
11-28-2007, 04:15 AM
I was a little unsure about the whole encryption thing, is that like the encryption in torrenting meaning it disguises your traffic, and is it slower?

Encryption disguises what you're downloading essentially.

Even IF someone were to look at what you're downloading, they wouldn't be able to tell whether you're downloading movies, to ebooks, or text files.

Also, I highly recommend Giganews.

make sure to use one the referral links (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-newsgroups-79/t-giganews-promotion-newshosting-newsdemon-accepting-paypal-118271) from FST. :)

Broken
11-28-2007, 04:30 AM
I just switched from UseNetServer to Giganews and I LOVE IT. Speeds are awesome and you can't beat the 200 day retention.

I also switched from UseNetServer to Giganews. DO NOT go with UseNetServer, they are having issues with speed. They have too many users without the infrastructure to handle them. Also do not go with Thundernews, they are a sub-company of UseNetServer and are having the same problems.

I can not say enough good things about Giganews. Not a single issue, and 200 days retention really comes in handy. You don't really need encryption unless your ISP is doing some kind of traffic shaping.

Giganews is the most expensive Usenet provider, but they are worth it.

ericab
11-28-2007, 05:10 AM
giganews or Ngroups.net

hands down.

Neoworld
11-28-2007, 05:33 AM
Ngroups.Net

psxcite
11-28-2007, 05:54 AM
Giganews, if you can afford it, is the BEST usenet provider in the business. Noone can argue this point. It's a fact.

But, for $10 a month Ngroups.net is nice. :)

Hellmonkeys
11-28-2007, 06:19 AM
Yeah, Ngroups.net is great. I am paying $10/month for unlimited bandwidth and 12 connections. The speeds are actually really good, using 12 connections I would get 6MB+/sec on my 100Mbit box. However, I have noticed once in awhile the speeds were really slow... but that's rare. For the price, it's worth it... Screw $25/month :D It does only have 100 days retention, but still, that's good...

lukaz
11-28-2007, 08:24 PM
Another one for Ngroups.NET, also on the $10 unlimited price plan and had no problems.

DiZzA
11-28-2007, 10:33 PM
I use Newsdemon. Unlimited with 110 completion for 14 euro. I'm very pleased with speed, always capping my DSL.

saulin
11-29-2007, 05:46 AM
I think $25 /mo is too much as well. Then again 200 days of retention is a lot. I usually get the $39.95 for 3 months with Usenetserver. The speed is great for me. I max my 10Mbit connection. I was getting the too many connections BS but I splitted the connections between servers and adjusted my setttings in Newsleecher and is good now.

Ngroups sounds even cheaper but I have never been with them so I can't provide feedback.

Oh yeah there is also Easynews. I still use it. $9.99 for 20 gigs though and you can get free gigs doing a weekly survey too. Nothing beats it with their web interface and all the features it has. The speed is amazing too. I have over 350 gigs banked because I have been with them for like 4 years. I wish I could use all those gigs but lol I just can't.

I wish it had better retention though. Then I would not use Usenetserver at all. I just read that their new NNTP farms in US and Europe have 70 days retention.

Skiz
11-29-2007, 06:09 AM
I think $25 /mo is too much as well. Then again 200 days of retention is a lot. I usually get the $39.95 for 3 months with Usenetserver. The speed is great for me. I max my 10Mbit connection. I was getting the too many connections BS but I splitted the connections between servers and adjusted my setttings in Newsleecher and is good now.

Ngroups sounds even cheaper but I have never been with them so I can't provide feedback.

Oh yeah there is also Easynews. I still use it. $9.99 for 20 gigs though and you can get free gigs doing a weekly survey too. Nothing beats it with their web interface and all the features it has. The speed is amazing too. I have over 350 gigs banked because I have been with them for like 4 years. I wish I could use all those gigs but lol I just can't.

I wish it had better retention though. Then I would not use Usenetserver at all. I just read that their new NNTP farms in US and Europe have 70 days retention.

No need for the 24.99 one. The $19/month one is fine. :)

r77
11-29-2007, 02:26 PM
$19.99 for the 1st month and after this $29.99
2 months diamond unlimited=(19.99+29.99)/2=$24.99/month
1 month platinum unlimited=$24.99
this is too much for me, i use Ngroups $9.99 promo

Skiz
11-29-2007, 02:38 PM
Well I finally decided to make the jump, but now I have a question what service would you recommend. Currently The two i have in mind are NewsDemon, and Giganews what does everyone else use, and are there any tips or anything I should know before starting the whole usenet thing. I have also looked at Newshosting & UseNetServer but neither of them seemed to meet my needs. So any help with this will be wonderful.

Thanks

Sooo.... what did you go with?

josephs911
11-29-2007, 03:29 PM

Thanks

Sooo.... what did you go with?

I am still trying to decide I havent had time to look at all my options, so this weekend I will sit down and make a decision alot of good information here thanks guys

josephs911
12-01-2007, 04:27 PM
Well I did it, I signed up for Giganews today :)
Cant wait to dive right in...

r77
12-01-2007, 04:34 PM
bravo,the best choice for sure

Skiz
12-01-2007, 04:37 PM
Well I did it, I signed up for Giganews today :)
Cant wait to dive right in...

Welcome to the mountaintop. :smilie4:

Broken
12-01-2007, 04:52 PM
Wise move.
:thumbsup:

lukaz
12-02-2007, 01:27 AM
Yes wise move, hopefully you will never go back to torrents.