PDA

View Full Version : reporting someone's avatar

DanielleD87
11-29-2007, 01:24 AM
I don't know the rules when it comes to avatars, but some (who I do not know) has an avatar I personally think is offensive. It is an animation of someone shooting them self in the head.

I have not PMed this person or talked to them at all on the forum. I don't want to be rude, and honestly I feel like a jerk bringing this up.

Is there a protocol to deal with this issue? For all I know I might be the only one who is offended by this persons avatar and I'm in the wrong bringing this up. If so I apologize.

I'm not going to post his profile here, but if a moderator reads this and wants to look into it then PM me and I will give you a link.

I guess suicide videos have always bothered me, real or not. I apologize if this post is uncalled for.

Thank you,
Danielle

peat moss
11-29-2007, 01:48 AM
I find your pink bunny offensive but will get over it . I do understand how you might feel about suicide issues tho so why not just put the member on ignore . I just thought , if using Firefox and adblock you can right click , block image .

DanielleD87
11-29-2007, 02:35 AM
i don't know what is considered offensive.

if it isn't then just delete this thread and I'll avoid his avatar.

Hairbautt
11-29-2007, 02:36 AM
If using IE with IE7Pro plugin you can do the same. Except its called "Filter This Image." :)

:shifty:

Also, who is it? Just post a link here, ffs.

DanielleD87
11-29-2007, 03:03 AM
i don't know this person so i feel really bad posting this: http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/members/rayman147-188416

i'm using safari btw.

Hairbautt
11-29-2007, 03:06 AM
:unsure: Meh. I wouldn't ever has this as my avatar, but I thought it was going to be worse.

Wait for Rossco, RealitY or maybe some mods' opinions.
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/image.php?u=188416&dateline=1196082540

If I were you I'd just submit a report and say "hey it's offensive and in the board rules it says, 'Signatures and avatars will be restricted in size and content, and must not be offensive in nature' and I'm offended so..."

peat moss
11-29-2007, 03:18 AM
Pimp my Safari link :

http://pimpmysafari.com/plugins/safariblock-12

DanielleD87
11-29-2007, 03:34 AM
i just feel bad reporting something that might only be offensive to me is all.

sorry to bother all of you with this btw

Hairbautt
11-29-2007, 03:39 AM
:blink: Well, you've done made a thread 'bout it so might as well go the whole nine yards.

Broken
11-29-2007, 04:58 AM
I think the avatar in question is kinda neat.

I really hope that you use one of the methods above to block the image if you feel that it is somehow offensive to yourself. I also really hope this wasn't an attempt to try and censer what others here can see, that's just not right.

sear
11-29-2007, 05:59 AM
While I agree that censorship is wrong there is a line...I reported someone this morning for having an Adolf Hitler avatar, though he did go on to say how much he admired him, and that imo is even worse. So if you feel offended make a report and let the mods decide it's their board after all.

Broken
11-29-2007, 07:14 AM
While I would not use a Hitler avatar myself, and I don't think particularly highly of the idea, I wouldn't want it censored. If it's not obscene, or "blatantly" used to offend I think it should be left alone.

Censorship is a very slippery slope.

I'm sure this image could really piss off a bush supporter.
But unless GW is a member here, I don't think it should be censored.

http://www.funny-games.biz/pictures/bush/adolf-hitler-bush.jpg

sear
11-29-2007, 07:48 AM
Censorship is indeed a slippery slope and I wouldn't give a rats arse about you satirizing Hitler...however if I thought you where in fact a neo-nazi I would be offended. Using your example of George W if you had an avatar that was blatantly supporting him and then went on to say you thought he's a great guy I'd disagree but not really care...but then Bush wasn't the architect of the Holocaust :dabs: plus it affects me more because I have relatives who where in the Holocaust. Some survived some didn't so for me it hits close to home. Like I said I made a report and the mods did as they saw fit that's all I wanted, just to have my say. If they'd chosen to not act I wouldn't have argued.

p.s. I like the Bush pic I can see the humour in it and don't mind it a bit.

Snee
11-29-2007, 05:08 PM
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/image.php?u=188416&dateline=1196082540

It's from Sin City, I reckon, he's killing himself to protect someone else, like.

Barbarossa
11-29-2007, 05:37 PM
I can't see that it's offensive... :unsure:

It may be distressing to you, but I wouldn't class it as offensive as I understand the term.

By the way, the usual place to raise these sorts of issues is in the Report Section ;)

Racket
11-29-2007, 06:04 PM
Eh, since I saw this thread...I am reminded of someone else's avatar on another site. Would anyone think that a ghastly (only word to describe it) picture of "Chris Crocker," the scary self-proclaimed idiot girl/boy on youtube, to be offensive? I get very annoyed anytime I see anything about that person that I block said content. He/she drives me nuts! lol

dnero73
11-29-2007, 06:10 PM
I fosmeone had hitler as there avy becuae he admired him I wouldn´t feel offended just wouldn´t really have anything to do with that person now if someomne had an avy that said
kill all (insert race here) or whatever then thats a diff matter altogether

Broken
11-29-2007, 06:42 PM
Eh, since I saw this thread...I am reminded of someone else's avatar on another site. Would anyone think that a ghastly (only word to describe it) picture of "Chris Crocker," the scary self-proclaimed idiot girl/boy on youtube, to be offensive? I get very annoyed anytime I see anything about that person that I block said content. He/she drives me nuts! lol

Yes, I would.
I am also very offended by your avatar and would like it removed. ;)

peat moss
11-30-2007, 02:42 AM
i just feel bad reporting something that might only be offensive to me is all.

sorry to bother all of you with this btw

Your just giving your opinion nothing wrong with that , your choice of forum was maybe wrong ? I'v asked mods (on other forums) to remove member names such as killwitey or fukthatblakbiatch as thats insulting to all members .

Not for me to decide , I'd recommend a mod close this thread if Danielle requests it .

DanielleD87
11-30-2007, 08:14 AM
It's from Sin City, I reckon, he's killing himself to protect someone else, like.
oh geez i feel really bad now! :pinch:
sin city is an awesome movie

if the person starts posting a lot and i keep seeing his avatar then I'll pm him and ask directly and be more civil. I feel like this whole thread is like talking behind his back.

Sextent
11-30-2007, 09:37 PM
I don't personally find that avatar offensive, however I also accept that everyone carries their own baggage and that which may be genuinely offensive to someone else will not always be the same for me and vice versa.

I think that we may be talking at cross purposes here tho'. I suspect that the thread starter actually finds the avatar upsetting rather than offensive. If that is the case then the best solution is for them to block it in some way.

Finally, if it doesn't actually breach any board rule then it's really just a case of like it or lump it. Whether one think it's offensive, upsetting or anything else. Tho' as the bunny chap says, there is nothing to stop one human being contacting another and asking them for a bit of personal consideration.

Something Else
11-30-2007, 10:02 PM
I use the firefox 'my image here' extension and replace the offending imag with a nice fluffy bunny :smilie4:

maddoxro
12-01-2007, 12:06 AM
i'm cool with everyones avatars...but,like others said,you could use a firefox and instal an extension to remove that avatar\avatars that you find insulting

Colt Seevers
12-01-2007, 02:53 AM
It would be different if it was someone actually blowing their brains out for reals like, but for goodness sake Pink bunny dewd, get some lead in yer pencil.

Not everyones Avatar has to be cutsie little cartoon character...

Aaxel21
12-01-2007, 07:21 AM
@Colt Seevers
Thats a heck of an avatar, reminds me of the song by filter - hey man nice shot.

TP635
12-01-2007, 10:32 AM
I don't know the rules when it comes to avatars, but some (who I do not know) has an avatar I personally think is offensive. It is an animation of someone shooting them self in the head.

I have not PMed this person or talked to them at all on the forum. I don't want to be rude, and honestly I feel like a jerk bringing this up.

Is there a protocol to deal with this issue? For all I know I might be the only one who is offended by this persons avatar and I'm in the wrong bringing this up. If so I apologize.

I'm not going to post his profile here, but if a moderator reads this and wants to look into it then PM me and I will give you a link.

I guess suicide videos have always bothered me, real or not. I apologize if this post is uncalled for.

Thank you,
Danielle

I don't find it offensive; but I feel like throwing out when I see that avatar. I scroll down as fast as possible to avoid looking at it. That one really make me sick, and so is the one by Colt Seevers.

But if it does not break forum rule I can bear with it; with a both eyes closed.

Ronnie Coleman
12-01-2007, 11:37 AM
Religious, political and xxx oriented avatars should be forbidden. For the sake of political correctness & humanity. :)

There are also some things about signatures. Some of users have very, very big sigs and it really is disturbing for eyes and scrollbars. :)

You should consider question about avatars and limiting signatures. :)

Sextent
12-01-2007, 12:45 PM
Why should religious or political avatars be banned. So long as it is not of a nature intended to offend others. Personally I have no interest in using one, however I don't see why other people shouldn't. So long as it is something of a positive nature and not being negative or insulting towards the beliefs of others.

Rayman
12-01-2007, 01:07 PM

Thank you,
Danielle
you should :) i've seen worst avatars that that...and you didn't complain...anyway :) i'm waiting for a mod to resolve this :)

JROQuinn
12-01-2007, 04:10 PM
Kinda like an issue I heard about in California, no smoking is allowed even in your own yard. This one guy went outside to smoke his cigar and, the neighbor a few houses down reported him and he got fined. Not sure how true it is but, people can turn their head, turn off the tv, scroll down, or do so many things to avoid the minimal trivial things that they disapprove of but instead they want to worry about something that they can avoid themselvesand want to get it banned, whether it be an avatar, cigar, or whatever. People always meddle with other people when its not necessary. I mean if I had an avatar promoting fundamental Christianity I would probably get banned from the site.

Barbarossa
12-03-2007, 09:49 AM

Thank you,
Danielle
you should :) i've seen worst avatars that that...and you didn't complain...anyway :) i'm waiting for a mod to resolve this :)

There's nothing to resolve :blink:

A concern was brought up, and was addressed. Your avatar could be construed as distressing or upsetting, but it isn't "offensive" as I understand the term.

@ "Ronnie Coleman" - there are limits on signatures and avatars, I suggest you re-read the board rules ;)

I'm going to close this thread now because I think everyone has had ample opportunity to pitch in. :whistling