PDA

View Full Version : Task takes 100% CPU on close

Money Fist
11-29-2007, 07:18 PM
I've been noticing a strange problem on XP where if you exit an application via the close "X" on the top right of the window the task hangs at 99 CPU in task manager.
You have to end the task to stop it.

It kind happens at random. A restart usually fixes it but it's just annoying. It happend before on my old AMD XP system.

The problem also stacks, so if you close three apps then you'll have em all hogging CPU.
http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/88/121111ee8.jpg

Anyone else seen or noticed this happening? Solutions?

I have removed my AV and FW for testing purposes.
I suspect it could be somthing to do with Unlocker or ATI Tray Tools because they are the only things I had the same on my last system.

mr. nails
11-30-2007, 08:18 AM
how many processes do u have running in the background @ start-up?

clocker
11-30-2007, 01:40 PM
This is not necessarily a XP problem, some apps are just poorly written.
On my XP install, SpeedFan likes to hang at exit.
I have that program set to run at startup and tried relocating it to various places in the registry but it still acted wonky.
This fixed it...
-Go to Run and enter “Regedit“.
-Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
- Here you will find a string called as “Auto End Task“, set its value to “1” by double clicking it. This means any hung program will be killed instantaneously.
-Now suppose if you want to give some time, as some programs come back to normal in few minutes, Find a key called as “WaitToKillAppTimeout“, change the value to the value you want. You have to enter value in milliseconds though.
Default is 20000 and I reset mine to 4000.

Money Fist
12-01-2007, 03:42 PM
how many processes do u have running in the background @ start-up?
I keep all my start ups and tasks to a minimal
6 start ups
22 tasks on login

This is not necessarily a XP problem, some apps are just poorly written.
Are you saying Notepad, MS Paint & Calculator are poorly written?
Like I said this problem occurs randomly and it effects ANY program you close during that windows session.

Will give that "WaitToKillAppTimeout" a shot when it next happens.
Thanks