PDA

View Full Version : Windows to vista help

Acid_death69
11-30-2007, 12:54 PM
Hi im currently running XP and im looking to go to vista. I have bought a vista home premium BUT it says on the box upgrade. Will this matter when i formatt my pc and try to install vista? Have i bought the wrong one?
Thanks

clocker
11-30-2007, 01:33 PM
The "upgrade" package will do a clean install, no problem.
In fact, the upgrade option is only available for certain versions of XP- Pro 64 bit can't "upgrade" at all- and even then, only if you upgrading to certain versions of Vista.

Clean install is the way to go anyway.

Acid_death69
11-30-2007, 01:43 PM
so i should have no problems then, i just wipe my hard drive and shot the disk in like with any old format?

clocker
11-30-2007, 01:46 PM
Yup.

It's a lot slower than a XP install, so be prepared to sit a while and don't remove the disk till you actually hit the desktop.

Edit:
You can save yourself some time (and ultimately some hard drive space) if you usevLite (http://www.vlite.net/download.html) and slipstream your drivers and cut out some unneeded bloat.
It's free and, in a geekiy way, kinda fun.

You can build and burn the disk from within XP and if you screw up, the original Vista disk is unharmed so you can always use it instead.

Acid_death69
11-30-2007, 01:48 PM
Lol cheers will do, uim releaved now i thought that i would have to partition my hard drive or something like that. :D

clocker
11-30-2007, 01:53 PM
See edit above...

Acid_death69
11-30-2007, 02:00 PM
But if i use that, it'll only get rid of certain that vista can actually run without?

clocker
11-30-2007, 02:15 PM
No, you can fuck it up big-time if you want.
The safest way to do it is just "integrate drivers" and leave everything else alone.

Once you successfully do that you could always make another disk and try the other options till you get it right.
This assumes you have the time and inclination to perform a few installs...if not, just slipstream the drivers and let it be.

Acid_death69
11-30-2007, 02:25 PM
think i'll just slipstream the drivers tis the easiet way mi thinks:) cheers clocker

clocker
11-30-2007, 02:35 PM
All you have to do is...
-create a folder in My Docs (or anywhere that's convenient) and copy the Vista disk into it.
-create another folder and find the drivers you want to slipstream. Put the drivers in this folder and unpack them with WinRAR (or whatever you use...).
-open vLite and it will ask where the OS is...point it to the folder you made.
-In the left hand pane of vLite check "integrate drivers" and it will ask where they are...point to the second folder. Pick the ones it can deal with (must be "inf." files- cannot deal with Creative drivers or any other straight "exe." drivers).

You should also look at the "unattended" section.
You can preload the serial#, username, timezone, etc. so it doesn't stop and ask for them...this can save a lot of time.

Acid_death69
11-30-2007, 02:40 PM
when i do this will it wipe everything else on my hard drive?

clocker
11-30-2007, 02:46 PM
Um...the vLite app will only make an .ISO that you burn to disk (in Vista's case, a DVD) and then boot to/install just like any OS disk.
Just running the program and burning the .ISO doesn't affect anything...same as burning a music CD.

Acid_death69
11-30-2007, 02:49 PM
ah right kk

clocker
11-30-2007, 02:51 PM
Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Acid_death69
11-30-2007, 02:58 PM
Aye i will do like just hope everything goes well now:d waiting till my external hard drive comes before i make the jump just incase anything were to fuck up.

Broken
12-02-2007, 04:47 AM
From what I understand an upgrade copy of Vista has to be installed from inside a working legit version of XP.
For what you want to do you'll have to do a fresh install of XP (home or pro), activate it through MS, and inside of that copy of XP you'll have to start the install of Vista. BTW, installing Vista using an upgrade invalidates your copy of XP.

http://www.dailytech.com/no+more+clean+installs+using+upgrade+discs+with+windows+vista/article5887.htm

Best wishes to you....

Acid_death69
12-02-2007, 02:09 PM
Yerr i heard about that, but i aint fussed that it invlaidates my XP im keeping all my soft ware and that and doing a format, if you get me.

clocker
12-02-2007, 03:06 PM
Worse comes to worst...before attempting the "upgrade", install 2000Pro.
If an inplace OS IS required (and I'm not convinced it is, but ...) then the 2000 key would be considered expendable and XP would be safe.

Thanks to Microsoft for creating such a clusterfuck.

BTW...
I was perusing a Microcenter ad yesterday and was amused to see that all the PCs with Vista preinstalled also included the option to "upgrade" back to XP.
Not sure what this entails exactly but do you ever remember seeing this option with an earlier OS?
"Comes with XP BUT you can revert to ME if you so choose...!"

Acid_death69
12-07-2007, 10:33 PM
What is the point in that? isnt that just taking up space?

Broken
12-08-2007, 05:58 AM
I have a copy of Vista that MS sent me.

I tried it, and I really wanted to like it. I gave it a whole month. It really does look nice, and that's about it. When I found out that Vista can't even delete, rename, move, or copy files in an efficient manner and that MS had no plans to patch the problem it had to go.

Today I did a reinstall of XP. Vista should have never come out of beta testing, it's just not ready. MS delayed Vista forever and rushed it out the door when they should have delayed it again. Vista is more of a joke than Windows ME.

Do yourself a favor. Don't open the package, send it back for a refund. I'd rather run a pirated copy of XP than a legit Vista Ultimate.

Acid_death69
12-08-2007, 01:06 PM
Well my Xp is starting fuck up cos ive done so many mods:s vista just seemed the right way to go. My mate has the home premium and it works fine. he's got all the hot fixes and it works well does everything he wants and we both do the same thing.

Acid_death69
12-15-2007, 01:00 AM
Well i managed it i slipstreamed my drivers and installed vista upgrade it was simple though i was sat on my for quite a while:s

fisherman
12-15-2007, 02:44 AM
Firstly I didn't read the whole thread so shoot me down if I'm wrong...

Firstly, I wouldn't have Vista as my OS until I HAVE to.

I'm glad u got it sorted mate :) But if ur XP was givin u gip, just format the son o bitch and start fresh.

I'm a pc tech so I have to deal with Vista but it's very "Buggy".

I'm gettin a laptop for my kid for xmas but I'm changin it to XP.

If I can help u with any questions, just let me know :)

Acid_death69
12-15-2007, 01:51 PM
cheers mate, originally i would have done what you said but my Xp disk is at my mums so i thought well i may aswell upgrade. it has been giving me some problems but im not sure if its vista or NOD32 not u[dating correctly:s

Broken
12-15-2007, 05:45 PM
You were able to do a clean install of Vista (without a copy of XP already on the machine) with an upgrade disk?

Acid_death69
12-15-2007, 06:34 PM
It did have XP already on, and then i did a clean install with an upgrade disk.