PDA

View Full Version : FLAC or mp3 ( 320 kbps ) ?

masterbat
11-30-2007, 09:17 PM
this thread is actually for those members who are part of FLAC trackers like E and btmusic .

do you really find any difference in quality ? i cant really tell the difference with my 7.1 creative speaker system and soundcard , so just curious :unsure:

Tokeman
11-30-2007, 09:24 PM
the point of having lossless format isn't really the difference in what you hear, its the fact that if you wanted to encode into a different format in the future, you can do so from an original source, with no quality loss. who knows what formats the future holds...

I dont know anything about 320kbps mp3, but that is the reason why people like lossless.

LoKaLiRi
11-30-2007, 09:40 PM
yep like Tokeman said :D

th0r
11-30-2007, 09:48 PM
I dont know anything about 320kbps mp3, but that is the reason why people like lossless.

So you speak for all lossless enthusiasts now? I can distinguish between qualities of lossy and lossless music ... And yes, it does serve useful for backing up and ripping from vinyl.

predateur
11-30-2007, 10:06 PM
lossless => Ripped from vinyl ?

pro267
11-30-2007, 10:06 PM
I used to be an MP3 guy back when bandwidth was expensive and FLAC wasn't that widespread. Times have changed and today I download almost solely FLAC encoded music. The difference between FLAC and MP3 (even well encoded one) is huge. As an exercise, try encoding a disk in both FLAC and high bitrate MP3, then listen to both consecutively using quality speakers. I'm certain you'll notice the difference in the richness of the sound, the high frequencies and so on.

@predateur:
No, FLAC is a lossless music format. You can encode any music (originating from vynil or anything else) in FLAC.

Submission
11-30-2007, 10:07 PM

So you speak for all lossless enthusiasts now? I can distinguish between qualities of lossy and lossless music ... And yes, it does serve useful for backing up and ripping from vinyl.

dont bullshit, they have done studies. Above 256kbps no one can tell the difference. 192kbps, some experts can tell the difference.

th0r
11-30-2007, 10:17 PM
Are you using Walmart-brand speakers or something? With a decent sound system, headphones, a good sound card, and a good ear you can.

xxzzxx
11-30-2007, 10:37 PM
this thread is actually for those members who are part of FLAC trackers like E and btmusic .

do you really find any difference in quality ? i cant really tell the difference with my 7.1 creative speaker system and soundcard , so just curious :unsure:

just of curiosity, which 7.1 creative and sound card do u use ?

i use creative gigaworks s750 and xfi platinum.

i definitely tell the difference and i believe that even a deaf,
would be :lol:.

btw, u should listen to music in a 2.1 speakers configuration.

Lizard King
11-30-2007, 10:39 PM
If you listen music only at your computer you dont need lossless music. But if you want listen music on hi-fi or encode to other formats, flac is the best solution.
For example mp3 256 kbps encode from flac sounds better than 256 kbps encode form 320 kbps.

Grind$oFine
11-30-2007, 10:43 PM
I can find a huge difference between different bitrates of MP3.
But 320 and FLAC are pretty close in my opinion.
FLAC of course has the edge, so I like listening to it on the computer/burned discs,
but with my ipod I have to convert to MP3 and 320 is what I use for my 160GB ipod and v0 is what convert to for my smaller 15GB ipod/PSP.

FLAC is the best for backups since it's pretty much like having the actual disc, but that's definitely not the only reason people like FLAC.

mysterious
11-30-2007, 10:49 PM
Flac all the way

slimdogp
11-30-2007, 11:48 PM
I can tell the difference between flac (if its properly ripped) and V2 VBR. Currently all scene music rips are V2, I wish they would upgrade to V0 :(

Its really really tough to tell the difference between V0 and FLAC or 320 and FLAC, but sometimes I can a little.

The real reason I like FLAC is that if I burn a CD for the car, or for my home stereo, I KNOW that its perfect quality as if bought in the store. With any lossy format I just feel like I might be missing something.

Usually v2,v0 are fine for me, I try to stay away from 320cbr, and I go for FLAC for really good albums that will stand the test of time.

Papps78
12-01-2007, 12:45 AM
I can tell the difference sometimes, but I only download lossless cds when the cd deserves it..

kyrcer
12-01-2007, 01:37 AM
For some reason mp3. Sometimes FLAC.

Dr_Green_Thumb
12-01-2007, 02:07 AM
320 sounds good enough for me, especially since there never seems to be enough hard drive space on my putter

t0mmy
12-01-2007, 02:13 AM
i like my FLAC for my trance music, only then i can really tell the different :D DJ TIESTO at 900+ *orgasms* :whistling

Roy.A
12-01-2007, 02:23 AM
I used to think 320 CBR is the best now my favorite format is V0 ...
amm .. my sound-card is "Realtek AC'97 Audio" i dont know what its worth ...
But im using my black "JBL Creature II" speaker system (2.1) ... i love them, they are pretty loud for their size =P

MaaxHimself
12-01-2007, 02:26 AM
flac week at waffles!

t0mmy
12-01-2007, 02:27 AM
hehe we have the same sound driver :P, im using on-board LOL :whistling

WarrenBuffet
12-01-2007, 02:56 AM
Im sick of uninformed ppl. Someone posted in here early about a study where no one can tell the difference in properly encoded 256 or higher and Flac. It is quite true. I produces music and play guitar/violin, quite well. At home, I have a sound blaster x-fi platinum and logitechs z-5500's. For headphones i have Ultimate ears triple fi 10. In the studio, I use a typical professional setup with 2 stereo speakers. Now heres the interesting part. With properly encoded 192, it is relatively easy for my (trained) ears to see the difference in high frequencies and low frequencies, especially with a powerful sub. The difference in the mid is barely noticeable, if it all between 192 and flac. Maybe on some occasions there is a more "surround" or "full" effect of the mid. When I ran comparison tests with a 320 bitrate and flac, there is NO DIFFERENCE. none, zip, nada. Even the bass is just as defined. So flac only has 2 purposes: 1. OCD ppl that need a "perefect rip" and 2. Ppl that need 2 show off thier e-diks by having a 500gb collection with 50 albums lol.

Skiz
12-01-2007, 03:44 AM
Im sick of uninformed ppl. Someone posted in here early about a study where no one can tell the difference in properly encoded 256 or higher and Flac. It is quite true. I produces music and play guitar/violin, quite well. At home, I have a sound blaster x-fi platinum and logitechs z-5500's. For headphones i have Ultimate ears triple fi 10. In the studio, I use a typical professional setup with 2 stereo speakers. Now heres the interesting part. With properly encoded 192, it is relatively easy for my (trained) ears to see the difference in high frequencies and low frequencies, especially with a powerful sub. The difference in the mid is barely noticeable, if it all between 192 and flac. Maybe on some occasions there is a more "surround" or "full" effect of the mid. When I ran comparison tests with a 320 bitrate and flac, there is NO DIFFERENCE. none, zip, nada. Even the bass is just as defined. So flac only has 2 purposes: 1. OCD ppl that need a "perefect rip" and 2. Ppl that need 2 show off thier e-diks by having a 500gb collection with 50 albums lol.

Absurd.

You're assuming that every album ever made is recorded the same way.

I'd gladly submit myself to A/B comparisons of MP3/lossless, or any other comparison between striking the spectrum. Would I get it "right" 100% of the time? I don't suspect so, but I bet I would notice a lot of the time. Heck, I do notice a lot of the time.

The whole reason I bothered with lossless was because I accidentally loaded a Grateful Dead show in shn and in MP3 in WinAmp and noticed the drastic change as it switched from one to the other. I used to grab lossless and then use Razorlame on the highest sensitivity setting to 224base/320high VBR encode. I did this for several weeks until this little mishap with throwing both types files into WinAmp at once. I admit that it was stupid to not do this comparison from the beginning, but years ago file storage was all new to me. I could hardly believe the difference as I continued to compare for a few weeks after that.

I grew up around a stereo nut for a father, so I don't know if listening to details is learned or innate. It just seems pretty obvious to me most of the time.

Also, if you want accurate answers, submit your questions to the Music section and not the Bittorrent section. :dabs:

WarrenBuffet
12-01-2007, 04:20 AM
Skizo, if u hate me so much, just ban me

TP635
12-01-2007, 04:42 AM

What test did you run?
Just think, if 320 sound the same as flac (=.wav) then why ain't CDs made compressed to 320;
Some thing just does not sound right here and I am not uninformed.

sleepyy
12-01-2007, 04:49 AM
I prefer flac at the moment because it's new to me i'm still trying to learn about this format besides it not being compressed in anyway i can't tell the difference much i may hear the intraments more but that's just a guess i have no really compared the two yet i don't know what to look out for.

Personaly i think if the general user can't notice any difference it really does not matter for the majority of us i guess the majority being mp3 listeners.

DyNast
12-01-2007, 05:01 AM
Wow, you're fearless!
:O

masterbat
12-01-2007, 05:25 AM

just of curiosity, which 7.1 creative and sound card do u use ?

i use creative gigaworks s750 and xfi platinum.

inspire t7900 with x-fi elite pro :)

ok . so you need a real high end audio system to enjoy the FLAC . correct ?

and most people use it for backup purpose .

Also, if you want accurate answers, submit your questions to the Music section and not the Bittorrent section. :dabs:

sorry about that . this question was aimed at Btmusic and E users that is why i posted in the BT section

i only listen to music on my pc , so i think for me wasting my HDD space for the tiny difference isnt worth it

thanks everyone for those valuable comments

mbucari1
12-01-2007, 05:41 AM

dont bullshit, they have done studies. Above 256kbps no one can tell the difference. 192kbps, some experts can tell the difference.not bullshit at all. If you have a GOOD speaker system, they you can hear the difference. For me, mp3s can't capture the dedth of the music that was encoded and ends up sounding metalicy. I have used 320Kbps and have also adjusted the lowpass in many configurations, but the mp3s simply are not capable of the same fidelity.

aysomc
12-01-2007, 07:01 AM
i cant ever hear the difference so long as its over 192 kbps so i have no use for flac but as its been said here it makes it nice so you can rip to any other quality you want. atm i have no need to do that though.

Wow, you're fearless!
:O

we call that stupid.

Night0wl
12-01-2007, 08:42 AM
High bitrate vinyl rips and sometimes Aucoustic or electronic FLAC is better. But I only download FLAC if possible.

BTW since asked. Both BTMusic and E user

mee2wo
12-01-2007, 10:00 AM
I always upload in FLAC & V0 but only dl 320 or V0, almost never FLAC because l can't hear the difference between FLAC & 320.But l understand why people dl in FLAC, if you can get music in the best quality possible than why not.If iPods supported FLAC I would dl a lot more in FLAC .

DrQwerty
12-01-2007, 11:11 AM
As many have said, it all depend on what equipment you are using... After a friend of mine upgraded his stereo-system (about $35 000) he is no longer able to listen to any mp3-rips what so ever. But he is totaly in love with FLAC. It's a huge different, believe me! Btw, he cried blood when Oink shut down :) Check out his system (http://www.minhembio.com/Z3M-johan/4146) (text in swedish but you'll see the equipment)

However I cant hear any different on my own system (H/K AV435 + H/K DVD25 + JM Labs Chorus) so I'm still fine with mp3s :)

Roy.A
12-01-2007, 01:45 PM
Flac is cool ... but the file size and format is annoying to deal with ...
How can you burn Flac to cd and make it readable ? =/
( sorry for my lack of knowledge at this area mates :) )

Skiz
12-01-2007, 01:46 PM

Please make a separate thread for these questions.

Roy.A
12-01-2007, 02:02 PM

Please make a separate thread for these questions.

Sorry , if ill make such a topic it will be legit in the BitTorrent or the Sound section ? :mellow:

Skiz
12-01-2007, 02:03 PM
Neither. The "Music" section. :P

masterbat
12-01-2007, 02:08 PM
Check out his system (http://www.minhembio.com/Z3M-johan/4146) (text in swedish but you'll see the equipment)

:w00t:

wow . awesome entertainment system .

god, make me rich :mellow:

ROFL-LOL
12-01-2007, 03:32 PM
i hear the difference especially in classic music. It sound better if it's lossless. old jazz and Blues sounds better in lossless than in mp3.

Polarbear
12-01-2007, 03:49 PM
flac? - best digital format for ripping.

sound? - ever listened to a 200g original vinyl pressing on a good system? compare it with a "xx bit" remastered cd version and you won't believe your ears.