PDA

View Full Version : legality of newsgroups?

troyk1
11-30-2007, 10:21 PM
I've always been a little confused about this... sounds like there's many thousands of people using them and all the data is stored on these servers and people are charged money to access it? I'm just curious why torrent sites get shut down and newsgroups don't when they're actually hosting the physical file.. and getting paid for it? Is there some kind of loophole I'm just not aware of or something?

link2009
12-01-2007, 04:36 AM
I've always been a little confused about this... sounds like there's many thousands of people using them and all the data is stored on these servers and people are charged money to access it? I'm just curious why torrent sites get shut down and newsgroups don't when they're actually hosting the physical file.. and getting paid for it? Is there some kind of loophole I'm just not aware of or something?

GTFO:happy:

Agreed. :frusty:

rapidmovies
12-01-2007, 04:50 AM
the newsgroups sites/servers claim they have to control over it and thats what is keeping it legal. Im sure there are going to have some serious lawsuits sooner or later. Piratebay is staying though.

Broken
12-01-2007, 05:17 AM
To stay within US law all they have to do is respond to take-down notices and terminate the accounts of offenders that repeatedly post copyrighted material, which they do.

On top of that this a big money business. And the threat of a lawsuit will not cause them to tuck tail and run away.

dvdspider
12-04-2007, 10:56 AM
surely, all they are hosting is binary data which is essentially useless. surely its the actual act of converting the binary data into a useable file (unrar-ing it) that is the illegal bit? Thats the angle i'd go for anyway ;)

psxcite
12-04-2007, 01:15 PM
I suppose ISP should be shutdown since most people use the internet connection to download illegal files? Yes, there are individuals that pay for usenet access that do not download copyrighted content.

lightshow
12-05-2007, 03:26 PM
Hmm could that be filed under conspiracy to commit piracy?

..:: c.R ::..
12-10-2007, 11:09 AM
Troyk1,

Usenet providers are categorized as an ISP equivelant. Their servers are the equivelant of proxy-servers. The data that is passed between their servers are uncontrollable. Below is a link to some additional info, that might better explain it.

http://tinyurl.com/y5f3go

Psxcite made a great point, go after usenet providers, then the ISP's are just as liable.