PDA

View Full Version : Soon Kazaa Will Be Dead

PAULIANER
07-22-2003, 09:16 AM
:(
Seems that from an usual number of 4,000,000+X users, we're facing a drop in user numbers (average 3 mn now) and therefore I guess that soon Kazaa wil be finished :angry: .
Took me 3 weeks to get one 750MB file (whereas I needed a night to get this download a few months ago)...
I like Kazaa (and I got lots of stuff from it :ph34r: , so I am quite thankful :rolleyes: ) but if the traffic keeps on being that slow, I'll switch to some other client...
...and I think some hundred thousand users already did that. :(

clocker
07-22-2003, 09:17 AM
Bye.

D!mensio_x
07-22-2003, 09:27 AM
:ph34r: Hey, it's summertime. A lot of people are on vacation and the weather is too good to sit behind your computer. So, it's not strange that there are less people online at this time...

Greetz, D!mensio_x :ph34r:

PAULIANER
07-22-2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by clocker@22 July 2003 - 09:17
Bye.
Very funny! :lol:
I might just be that last user to disconnect, but I still can't believe that some client that served up to 2,2GB every night now transfers a max. of 35 MB... :angry:
You might think I am kinda newbie but I know how to configure my KaZaa, and I know how look for files offered with a broad bandwidth. B)

PAULIANER
07-22-2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by D!mensio_x@22 July 2003 - 09:27
:ph34r: Hey, it's summertime. A lot of people are on vacation and the weather is too good to sit behind your computer.
You don't need to sit behind your computer to be online and sharing.

Maybe you are right, summertime could be a reason.
Let's hope that this gets back to normal again...

WARSUPPORT
07-22-2003, 10:58 AM
B) I think alot of people that have been using Kazaa for years are just sick and tired of the limited file sharing on Kazaa. Sure most the community in here shares, but that's just a drop in the bucket compared to the millions of users out there. So alot of people including myself are trying other programs to get the files your looking for. It blows me away on the amount of leechers out there and idiots that change their registry settings so you download off them at almost zero speed. But you look in their shared folder and these are the same people that have a bunch of movies 700mb + in size.....gimme a break! I think this is a big turn off for alot of people and their not spending as much time online with Kazaa. Instead their trying other programs.

PAULIANER
07-22-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by WARSUPPORT@22 July 2003 - 10:58
So alot of people including myself are trying other programs to get the files your looking for.
What prog would you recommend?
What could be the p2p-client of the future?

I tried some other progs already but none of them had so many search results as Kazaa used to have...

Icey
07-22-2003, 11:18 AM
Bittorent/Soulseek/mIRC

loz
07-22-2003, 01:24 PM
Kazaa is #1 for me, I've tried others but always come back
Try Shareaza if you want a good alternative -over 300 users on 1 file :o
If you like to trade, especially tv episodes then I'd say WinMX but there's a lack of users & speeds are often slow

N£MO
07-22-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by PAULIANER+22 July 2003 - 12:13--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PAULIANER @ 22 July 2003 - 12:13)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-WARSUPPORT@22 July 2003 - 10:58
So alot of people including myself are trying other programs to get the files your looking for.

I tried some other progs already but none of them had so many search results as Kazaa used to have... [/b][/quote]
You could also try Earthstation5,Emule or Shareaza :)

D!mensio_x
07-22-2003, 05:29 PM
:ph34r: By the way, I don&#39;t know what you are crying about. At this very moment there are 4,020,031 users online sharing 851,597,156 files (6,204,032 GB). So what is your problem?????

Greetz, Dimensio_x :ph34r:

D!mensio_x
07-22-2003, 05:32 PM
:ph34r: 4,065,719, users online and it keeps getting higher. So again, what is your problem????

Greetz, D&#33;mensio_x :ph34r:

PAULIANER
07-22-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by D&#33;mensio_x@22 July 2003 - 17:32
:ph34r: 4,065,719, users online and it keeps getting higher. So again, what is your problem????

My problem is, that I get "More sources needed" and "Remotely Qued" for the last 3 weeks, and if I have someone online AND connected, which rarely happens, then I get transfer speeds like 1,00kb/s or 0,78 kb/s
and it keeps saying that there are 10 people online......
I am very frustrated :blink:

D!mensio_x
07-22-2003, 06:28 PM
:ph34r: Maybe, it&#39;s not the number of online users that is causing your slow speeds and remotely queueds. Maybe there&#39;s an other reason why this happens. I was just reading the thread called "Kazaa lite will not download files anymore". These people seem to have similar problems as you have. Maybe it would be a good idea to check out what these people are saying and which solutions might help, instead of blaming your problems on the declining number of online users, which is clearly not happening (4,169,532 users online at this moment).

I hope you can solve your problem :ph34r:

shatteredillusions
07-22-2003, 06:57 PM
there are 4166259 people on kazaa right now as i speak but anyway there is normal fluctation in the network and also some people has left and went to other programs and some has left p2p for good but the majority is still there. Ever condisidered using winmx. I use winmx and kazaalite the ultimate combination

PAULIANER
07-22-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by D&#33;mensio_x@22 July 2003 - 18:28
I was just reading the thread called "Kazaa lite will not download files anymore". These people seem to have similar problems as you have.
Thanks for your compassion... :)
Of course I already read those posts, that&#39;s why I am that frustrated. :(
If you read all of the trouble-shooting suggestions, there is noone that says: "Cool, thanks&#33; It&#39;s really workin&#39; now. I got back to the transfer-speed I was used to have 3 months ago....&#33;"
So many people are having problems, even being online via DSL and faster. Thats scary&#33; :unsure:

I just see my tranfer-status: sent - 589 MB, recieved - 35,5 MB (after 12 hours) It should be "recieved - 2 GB"

35 MB&#33;&#33;&#33; That&#39;s not funny. I don&#39;t even know why I keep sharing my files to those parasites that don&#39;t share shit. <_<

Something in KaZaa has become different... :blink:
But I aint quittin&#39; yet, they will have to throw me out to make me stop using it. :ph34r:

But thanks again by trying to help me&#33;

D!mensio_x
07-22-2003, 08:49 PM
:ph34r: Don&#39;t mention it, we&#39;re all here to help one another. By the way what&#39;s that programm "winmx" that Shatteredillusions is talking about???:ph34r:

shatteredillusions
07-22-2003, 09:47 PM
WinMX is another filesharing program not as popular as kazaalite but in my opinion its ten times better for finding music than kazaa i am not saying abadon kazaa but use this too. WinMX also has chat. It mainly runs on the frontcode winmx network but it also can run on opennap networks. It contains no adware or spyware whatsoever. Just goto www.winmx.com

MetroStars
07-22-2003, 10:35 PM
Soon Kazaa Will Be Dead,,, LOL, what a JOKE

WARSUPPORT
07-22-2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by PAULIANER+22 July 2003 - 11:13--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PAULIANER @ 22 July 2003 - 11:13)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-WARSUPPORT@22 July 2003 - 10:58

I tried some other progs already but none of them had so many search results as Kazaa used to have... [/b][/quote]
B) I suggest you try Shareaza v1.9. I&#39;ve been using this program for about 2 months now, and I&#39;ve downloaded various large files such as games and movies. Things I would of had a hell of a time getting on Kazaa. What makes this a good P2P application is it combines various networks into one. Such as Emule,Gnutella2 and the original Gnutella,Bittorent,Magnet,piolet and all the people using the Shareaza program. Also it&#39;s up to you what networks you want to connect too at any given time. The only thing is it&#39;s a little more advanced to use than Kazaa but once you get the hang of it & no what servers to use,it works pretty damn good.

TRshady
07-22-2003, 10:55 PM
You are probably very right, kazaa will be dead soon.

But then again, we will all be dead soon, but theres always that chance of us living forever.

Bubble
07-22-2003, 10:55 PM
I think that most of the content inn this thread is bollocks,

if you have dl s queued for some time, its obvious what to do FIND ANOTHER SOURCE&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; stop bitching about nothing and find out why its not working. Blaming it on declining user numbers is nonsense.

come on, stop acting like victims and get on with it.

PAULIANER
07-22-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Bubble@22 July 2003 - 22:55
I think that most of the content inn this thread is bollocks,

if you have dl s queued for some time, its obvious what to do FIND ANOTHER SOURCE&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; stop bitching about nothing and find out why its not working. Blaming it on declining user numbers is nonsense.

come on, stop acting like victims and get on with it.
Ill install the new Kazaa Version released today...
If it keeps being slow, I&#39;ll have to live with that&#33;
I got plenty of time, flatrating 24/7... <_<

PAULIANER
07-22-2003, 11:49 PM
I installed version 2.4.1, released today.... :rolleyes:

At least I got 1 fast download (around 13 kb/s). :P
That&#39;s a start... :)

RGX
07-23-2003, 12:00 AM
I have relied on bittorent for a bit now, only using kazaa lite for audio fles, because it tends to corrupt bins and cues which are 90% of the files i download, however when my office XP download got stuck at 99% ( :blink: ) and I needed it desperatley, and the office1.cab was not completed, guess who helped me?

One 5 min search and a 45 min download later and 215Mb of OFFICE1.CAB was sitting on my hardrive, ready to go, got a download speed of 80kbps and over 10 users constantly, and my faith in Kazaa lite was restored

Kazza lite is a great tool, if you know what your looking for

slammy_dunken
07-23-2003, 12:48 AM
Like a lot of us, we would probably move on to other P2P programs. I&#39;m using BitTorrent right now for fansubbed anime, iso/bin/cues, and emulated games. But lately, since a lot of the major BT sites shut down, I&#39;ve been using K-lite for the main things again, like CD images, video files, and music. I also use eDonkey for some things, but not much.

Adster
07-23-2003, 01:03 AM
I think basiclly people have found better P2p clients that arn&#39;t fake bulls*** like myself using soulseek for music and torrent for music. I blame the stupididy of the users and lazyness for not knowing how to rename a damm file or deleteinga it. I still don&#39;t understand why soem people would like to share a blank 7000 meg video file. and think that the user u/ping it off them willl download the whole damm think I can relise in about 5 seconds that its imposibble for a 56k to download at 22k. I myself was someone who used kaza lite since it started and was addicted to it till about 4 months ago when it become corruped with crap.

I finally managed to find some p2p clients where you can get what you want without having to go through the frustation of downloading crap fiel for days. it also ammuses me that 41 users will share a blank file and you can never get any source for a REAL varified.

That wraps it up from me B)

L0rD_S0tH
07-23-2003, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by WARSUPPORT+22 July 2003 - 22:50--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (WARSUPPORT @ 22 July 2003 - 22:50)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by PAULIANER@22 July 2003 - 11:13
<!--QuoteBegin-WARSUPPORT@22 July 2003 - 10:58

I tried some other progs already but none of them had so many search results as Kazaa used to have...
B) I suggest you try Shareaza v1.9. I&#39;ve been using this program for about 2 months now, and I&#39;ve downloaded various large files such as games and movies. Things I would of had a hell of a time getting on Kazaa. What makes this a good P2P application is it combines various networks into one. Such as Emule,Gnutella2 and the original Gnutella,Bittorent,Magnet,piolet and all the people using the Shareaza program. Also it&#39;s up to you what networks you want to connect too at any given time. The only thing is it&#39;s a little more advanced to use than Kazaa but once you get the hang of it & no what servers to use,it works pretty damn good. [/b][/quote]
Agreed.

Kid1A
07-23-2003, 04:06 PM
New things come along, look a bittorent, its popularity grows daily. move with the times

abigspidermonkey
07-23-2003, 09:45 PM
it wont die for 4 or 5 years or so........ :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

phylo
07-23-2003, 10:31 PM
i think the same users are still online but less are sharing

phylo
07-23-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by shatteredillusions@22 July 2003 - 18:57
there are 4166259 people on kazaa right now as i speak but anyway there is normal fluctation in the network and also some people has left and went to other programs and some has left p2p for good but the majority is still there. Ever condisidered using winmx. I use winmx and kazaalite the ultimate combination
there are less users sharing thats the problem

N£MO
07-23-2003, 10:34 PM
Kazaa is crap now,there are plenty of great ways to fileshare without the same old drone and limitations that kazaa has. ;)

imported_The__One
07-23-2003, 10:53 PM
I used to use kazaa for everything, I didn&#39;t even know about any other p2p appz, and didn&#39;t care.....but ever since like the end of last year, kazaa became virtually usless for images (CD images: bin, iso, nrg..) besides beeing riddled with tons of fake crap <_< so now I only use kazaa for the files that I can&#39;t find on any other network...but I still leave it open for ppl to upload (don&#39;t know for how much longer tho.....bunch of leechs downloading off me :angry: ) And I don&#39;t think there is one best p2p app today, the best U can have is a combination, like Bittorent, Shareaza, Soulseek and emule (Earth Station 5 looks like it&#39;s comin&#39; strong, but it&#39;s still rather poor)

Anyway, I&#39;m sure kazaa will be dead in a short while, but wich p2p app didn&#39;t or wont also die eventually? The question is for how long it lasts ;)

jetje
07-24-2003, 06:33 AM
Well there is a pretty big loss of users for all filesharing programs atm..
It seems for a lot (i read somewhere over 1 million) that stopped by the media campaign from the RIAA... Well scaretactics are working for them.. <_<

Well the more sources... i also have that to lately... But see people ul at 50k from me while my ul ars 0,7k or like that.. ? That made me check the uploaders for a while.. about 4 hours... Well i&#39;m not obsessed about leechers, but i think i hit 9 out of ten not sharing (some had just shared some shitty files like matrix reloaded:filesize 1kb :angry: ) I know still no prove the others don&#39;t share so i send pm&#39;s to them (cause of course i know about the tools hidding your shared files) but most people did reply... And gues what, no one was mentioning that tool... ? So my guess whe have farr less then that number of people online that really share these days.. :(

* but i need to mention i still have to switch to the latest version, maybe that will fix some problems :rolleyes:

stillwater
07-24-2003, 07:21 AM
rite now there only 3053978 users on which is quite horrible

but guess its da time of da day and the summer time as well

klite remains quite the essential for me
added with bittorrent and soulseek i do have a more than satisfactory combo for me...thinkin about adding mirc to my arsenal ...therz not much more u cud possible use without not being happy ...which i am even without mirc rite now B) ;)

default_12
07-24-2003, 08:01 AM
no worries. we can still get files and songs almost with the same speed. thats all i care about. :P :ph34r:

junkyardking
07-24-2003, 09:05 AM
The future of kazaa is in Sharman networks hands, if they introduce partial filesharing, anominity, error correction and some system to root out fakes either thought some rating or marking system they may totaly reverse and even make it more popular but there latest offering kmd2.5 doesnt, who knows if sharman even has the business sense to do this. :(

So Sue Me
07-25-2003, 01:02 AM
There&#39;s one thing I would like to add here, and you have to forgive me if I sound really really pretentious here. I want to get the point across here but I don&#39;t want to bore you.

I&#39;ve got graduate degrees in Mathematics and Statistics, and I&#39;ve seen lot of examples in nature and in technology where weird shit like what we are seeing on Kazaa these days is commonplace.

Notice that Kazaa-lite and other filesharing programs, as well as support programs like Speed Up, are always being upgraded. Every time one of these programs change, the overall behavior of the network changes. Also, every time one of these programs changes, the behavior of the user changes, which also changes the behavior of the overall network.

Now you as an individual probably do not change your filesharing behavior frequently, and you probably do not upgrade your software frequently, but if there are say 10 million users of Kazaa (which is a low number I think), then in aggregate there are perhaps a 100 thousand people upgrading or changing their software and changing their behavior EVERY DAY.

Under these circumstances there is no way in Hell that the Kazaa network will work exactly the same way from day to day, hour to hour, or even minute to minute&#33; The strategy you used to get quick DLs last week may not work this week, but it may work fine next week.

Kazaa has the largest filesharing network, and as a consequence it has the potential to show the most chaotic behavior. Are other programs better? Well, once they get big enough they&#39;ll hit the same problems. Will Kazaa die? No way. As long as good people like the ones behind K-lite and K++ keep upgrading the software, Kazaa will last as long as filesharing itself lasts. As more people leave Kazaa, then Kazaa will run better and people will come back. So on and so on forever.

Okay -- end of preaching.

By the way, I set the accelerator options so that it only cycled through the first 3 items in my DL list, but twice as fast as the default settings. Of course I set it so that completed items were removed from the list. Then I set my total DLs to 3 and total ULs to 3. During the previous 12 hours I hadn&#39;t downloaded more than 20 MB. Five hours later I had downloaded 1.5 GB and finished off about 10 files -- and they were pretty obscure files. Will this work again? I have no idea.

See ya.

Switeck
07-25-2003, 01:40 AM
Like So Sue Me said, the network changes as people&#39;s actions change.

Many people have become leeches no doubt with the RIAA&#39;s many dubious announcements of suing anyone and everyone sharing quantities of MP3s gets around. Not that they are completely safe, as there has even been an instance of a leeching DOWNLOADING-ONLY user being busted for downloading a movie by MPAA. (And RIAA and MPAA no doubt contract to many of the same copyright scanner companies.)

Also, as more people get broadband and extra computers, more people are also getting software firewalls and routers -- which makes them INACCESSABLE to other firewall and router users UNLESS they make their firewalls transparent to
Kazaa and/or run KaNAT with port-forwarding if using routers.

Combined together, both will have an EXTREME effect on reducing apparent download speeds.
However users who are not firewalled (and find &#39;good&#39; supernodes) may not notice any slowdowns at all... particularly if it&#39;s NOT MP3&#39;s that they&#39;re after&#33;

jfrantz11
07-25-2003, 07:22 PM
maybe people are scared there going to hafe to pay for downloads
read the news lately

blainemcintosh
07-25-2003, 07:55 PM
USE SHAREAZA

here

http://www.shareaza.com/download/

its there

soo good it connects to 3 networks, not just 1, but 3&#33;

chalkmongoose
07-26-2003, 03:43 AM
I got sick of Kazaa awhile ago, but I still use the forums. Why? I like it, the environment here is friendly. Also, I still make tools for p2p users (like those who use Kazaa.)
And no, I don&#39;t share my files anymore on FastTrack. I don&#39;t have any files. I went slowly down from more than 10 gigs (a bit small on average) to 5, then to 2, then to less than 1. Files take up space, and they slow down my computer.
Now I have no files, no movies, songs, etc., unless you count my classical music.
I do use Piolet rarely to find some more classical, but mostly I just go to artists.mp3s.com and hit play all...
And when I do need the occasional piece of software, I use Shareaza (G2, Legacy G, ED2k). It has simply fewer errors then FastTrack.
So yes, by my hands, I have smote mine enemies. And they be FastTrack.

Arm
07-26-2003, 02:09 PM
Seeing as how there are 3 million users on Kazaa at any given time I see no dorp in users. That&#39;s twice as many users as Napster had at it&#39;s peak so I wouldn&#39;t call it less users. :rolleyes:

stonecold1203
07-26-2003, 02:27 PM
I&#39;ve noticed a drop of 500,000 people. But then again its summer time as said before. And its morning here.

You gotta think, not all of the 4 million people live in the US. The majority probably do, but not all. Atleast 1 million don&#39;t live in US. So they will not care.

So technically kazaa will never die.

Kazaa is only good for music. Everything else IRC is the king.

internet.news
07-27-2003, 01:03 PM
Kazaa is the fastest client - you can use it in your own network too -
so far - not so fast as audiogalaxy unfortunately (in this part the
RIAA seems to be successful for the moment).

Why many peple seems to leave or not to use the client?
I think many people using KAzaa also were living in the United States
and due to recent actions of the RIAA they are afraid and try not using
the client in the next time - next weeks or how long this is going on:
but the RIAA only have law possibilities in US, in other states there other
laws: e.g. in Columbia the government has other more important issues,
than copyright ones: drugs and the fact that people are taken away by criminals,
you know what I mean.

Because in other countries there other laws, people there will continue
sharing and do not worry so much. Although I know that people living in
us will also continue sharing their thoughts also if offline with each other
together to understand each other better :)

but the best is Kazaa never dies and the idea behind sharing also: we have to
share our thoughts openly to understand each other better. And you can use Kazaa
on your own network, too.

And if everybody would share few amounts, it would not heart the file archiv
of the users if one would disappear, probably. But to answer your question for another client: After audiogalaxys closing, I always search for stuff on Kazaa and
SoulSeek (It is not so fast due of queueing sometimes/often, but there not few
music). Other Clients have to few users :( n

thanks anyway, david.

randyleepublic
08-04-2003, 03:03 AM
THE FILE SHARING MANIFESTO

So now the music industry greedheads want to play rough. What’s the matter, their coke dealer won’t front anymore? Those techno-ghouls have been living high on the hog for the past 100 years and now they’re upset because the river of gold is down 10%. If they want to play rough, so can we. The only reason they can afford to pay their lawyers is because we all still buy CDs.

There is only one proper response to the file sharing attack – a complete and total boycott of all new recorded music purchases. Imagine if you got a summons in the mail. We must support our file sharing brothers and sisters. I SAY NO PURCHASES OF ANY NEW CDS OR DOWNLOADS UNTIL THEY CHANGE THE LAW ON FILE SHARING&#33;&#33; If you want music go to a show, or buy or trade used CDs.

Copy this and spread the word&#33;

To those who are concerned about artist&#39;s royalties, you&#39;ve been brainwashed. Music is a performing art - the key word here is performing. If artists want to get paid, they need to perform. Not live like ghouls on the ghosts of old echos.

Consider the artists who have been most commercially successful on recordings. They have almost all been destroyed by that success. On the other hand an old dope fiend like Jerry Garcia survived for years despite his self destructive ways, largely, IMHO, because his recordings were not money makers and he had to tour.

Besides the whole industry is only the result of a technical glitch where it was easy to record, but difficult to copy. Those days are over. They all need to accept the new paradigm or fade away.

3pc.ChickenDinner
08-04-2003, 05:53 AM
My speeds are getting better everyday. I wouldn&#39;t mind seeing about a million or so fake filers leave anyway. :rolleyes:

Digital Jammer
08-04-2003, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by PAULIANER@22 July 2003 - 09:16
:(
Seems that from an usual number of 4,000,000+X users, we&#39;re facing a drop in user numbers (average 3 mn now) and therefore I guess that soon Kazaa wil be finished :angry: .
Took me 3 weeks to get one 750MB file (whereas I needed a night to get this download a few months ago)...
I like Kazaa (and I got lots of stuff from it :ph34r: , so I am quite thankful :rolleyes: ) but if the traffic keeps on being that slow, I&#39;ll switch to some other client...
...and I think some hundred thousand users already did that. :(
Kazaa&#39;s traffic WILL keep going down untill it&#39;s dead- I totally agree here. After all the RIAA is almost entirely focused on Kazaa/K&#39;Lite right now.

The good news is that the P2P sharers will simply move on to a more secure system (like Earthstation 5).

Kazaa may be history, but P2P will go on. ;)