PDA

View Full Version : The Hydra Project - Everything in here

RainRoofer
12-03-2007, 02:50 PM
http://torrentfreak.com/the-hydra-project-071203/

So, let's hear opinions ?

Personally, I think this is great, not just for security, but for general BT protocol improvement, quality in all ways(speed, content...). Can't wait to see it in action.

p1r4t3
12-03-2007, 03:25 PM
pretty much the same now. after oink went down, waffles and what came in.

if waffles and what are raided, some more will be born

and theres shitloads of trackers anyway.

I dont think users of private trackers are at risk, only heavy uploaders and stuff , look at oink.

a project like this would only serve to bring the swarm to one place , and make it easier to trap. Lots of distributed unknown sites is what we need, not a central system

Something like this is whats gonna bring BT to an end, if it happens.

Patriot foreve
12-03-2007, 04:28 PM
Interesting Project ,it looks really promising ,wish success to it

IceTee
12-03-2007, 04:39 PM
Interesting Project ,it looks really promising ,wish success to it

:yup:

p1r4t3 (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../members/p1r4t3-160068),
I'm not sure that you understood what this project is all about.
I think you need to have another look at the article.

fsephie
12-03-2007, 04:50 PM
Yeah, even though this doesn't decentralize the tracker (impossible), it does create a limited number of backups so there is never a total site shutdown, it just switches to the next tracker.

ranran1234
12-03-2007, 04:56 PM
I read and i still dont understand what the THP doing??

Hunziker
12-03-2007, 05:33 PM
It's a nice idea but they're still relying on trackers. Decentralization is the way to go and they should be focusing their attention on that instead of continuing to rely on trackers that can easily be taken down.

koolyt
12-03-2007, 08:53 PM
BT is already pretty decentralized. i think this is a step in the right direction. it smooths the process of replacing trackers that are taken down, making it even less inconvenient when it happens and even harder for BT to be disrupted.

my only question...would torrent actually be tracked by multiple private trackers? thats how i understood it. thats an interesting idea

pro267
12-03-2007, 09:52 PM
Having no better term, I'll refer to the set of joint trackers in THP as a cluster of trackers (clustracker.. :P).
A few questions about his project, just from the top of my head:

1) Will "traveling" between trackers participating in a cluster be done on line, as in a hot swap?
2) Will membership shift from a tracker based to a cluster based membership?
3) Sounds like a lot of the code needed for implementation is already available is some of the current tracker implementations. Don't large trackers use a cluster of machines for the site and others to host the databases? If that's the case, then the site-site sync thingy is already implemented, and database synchronization is also available.
4) Won't the "travel" thingy make it easier to IP harvest on all trackers? I.e., anyone will be able to easily shift from tracker to tracker and collect IP data from connected people in all of them easily, rather then having to join each site individually and IP harvest each one separately?

I don't know what to think about this project before hearing more details about it.
It sounds interesting but there are so many synchronization and security issues to consider that it may not be feasible.

DanielleD87
12-03-2007, 10:55 PM
it looks neat but some how i doubt it will be used much. most staff like to keep their site as 'their' site and giving that away into a distributed project kind of kills it.

also, security most likely dies with this. all it takes is one riaa or mpaa bot to connect to a priv trackers network, scan ips, and then everyone is screwed because it will effect all of the trackers not just one tracker. it will also make it harder to catch such groups that want to record IP addresses.

99shassan
12-03-2007, 11:53 PM
its a brilliant idea. but a lot of trackers take pride in some exclusive releases, or releases they get first. Will they be willing to share?

koolyt
12-04-2007, 12:16 AM
it might work well between similar trackers who's admins know and trust each other. although i see what someone on the previous page was saying...it seems the inherent security of private trackers is due to their private, closed nature, especially those that are strict with invites. i'm not sure how this system works exactly, but it may circumvent that whole setup by linking trackers together

Sneakydave
12-04-2007, 12:39 AM
Wont work. If it existed people would seed to the demonoid/TL of the moment and H&R on the sites which its harder to maintain a ratio on.

koolyt
12-04-2007, 12:48 AM
i'm not sure if this system entails that much overlap b/w trackers. like, i don't think trackers are gonna be merged where your transfer to all of them counts together. that would be fucked

Galva
12-04-2007, 01:04 AM
Pffffffff, might as well just backup to a private external source once a day, useless project.