PDA

View Full Version : New DVD Film site

dvdspider
12-03-2007, 03:31 PM
Hi all, ive created a DVD Film usenet crawler which i think you guys might enjoy. Its been a headache of mine trying to work out which films id like from the all the releases that are put up on usenet everyday so i ended up doing something about it :-)

I would really appreciate your feedback on it, but dont want to spam or break any rules so i wont post a URL unless a mod or someone says i can?

Cheers.

WakkaJM
12-03-2007, 03:47 PM
Hey man, sounds good. PM me the URL and I'll check it out.

dvdspider
12-03-2007, 03:50 PM
hi mate, pm sent.

cheers.

Broken
12-03-2007, 06:12 PM
I imagine there would be some intrest here to see what you have.
Why not just post the url in this thread?

dvdspider
12-03-2007, 06:21 PM
ok cool, its dvdspider.co.uk (http://www.dvdspider.co.uk) - your feedback would be really appreciated. hope some of you find it useful.

cheers.

Broken
12-03-2007, 06:50 PM
It doesn't look bad.
NZBs for the listings would help a lot.

Till then... not for me.

dvdspider
12-03-2007, 07:50 PM
yeah, i know what you mean. after seeing dvdrs and a few other film nzb sites taken down im a bit apprehensive but i could link to other nzb sites that have the dvds - that surely is well above board...

MultiForce
12-03-2007, 08:08 PM
yeah, i know what you mean. after seeing dvdrs and a few other film nzb sites taken down im a bit apprehensive but i could link to other nzb sites that have the dvds - that surely is well above board...

Easies might be to link to the package on binsearch or something? Then you don't have to worry about copying somebody else's work.

Or else just link to posts on this forum if you are allowed.

dvdspider
12-03-2007, 08:20 PM
ok nice one - ill sort that now and have it ready in an hour or so.

psxcite
12-03-2007, 08:27 PM
There's already a great forum that's been around for years.They review DVD usenet posts, talk about fixes and anything usenet movie related. They are one of the main groups posting DVD scene releases to usenet.

Binaryinvasion.com / altbinariesdvdr.com

Check it out sometime.

dvdspider
12-03-2007, 08:35 PM
cool, psxcite - ive not heard of that forum. will deffo check it out.

ive added a simple search on the site now, it seems to work pretty well, but filenames aren't usually the greatest on usenet so will be a bit hit and miss.

cheers.

dvdspider
12-03-2007, 08:51 PM
the reason i dont display the dvd cover is that imdb doesnt allow you to display or link to their covert art :-(

if you click the title of each film, that'll take you directly to imdb.

dvdspider
12-04-2007, 10:45 AM
ok, everything seems stable enough now so ive set the site to automatically update every 30 minutes.

cheers.

liber8ter
12-04-2007, 07:00 PM
looks pretty good. I prefer usenet for films

sksksk1
12-04-2007, 10:10 PM
looks good. any chance list dvdrip as well?

Detale
12-05-2007, 02:40 AM
I also think it's a nice site. If it's possible DVD rips would go nicely also.

ericab
12-05-2007, 03:47 AM
+3 on DVDRips;

good site, tx!

dvdspider
12-05-2007, 09:25 AM
thanks for the feedback :) ok, ill get a dvdrip section sorted today, should be pretty straightforward.

cheers.

ok, the dvdrip section is up - i've included all sources so there will a lot of the newer releases in there.

enjoy :)

dvdspider
12-07-2007, 04:43 PM
hi all, quick update - ive found a way to directly link to the nzb for every dvd and dvdrip. im gonna do a bit more testing (after i get smashed tonight and tomorrow ;)) and should have it up by monday.

cheers, p.s. CMON RICKY HATTON!

Broken
12-09-2007, 02:14 AM
It looks a lot better than the first time I veiwed it.
Keep going with it.

Windy72
12-09-2007, 06:58 PM
Looks good. I shall add to my favourites. Many thanks for your work.

dvdspider
12-10-2007, 11:06 PM
Hi, i've added the improved NZB searching. There are 3 different types of search, they rank in accuracy, with FILEname being the best and TITLEname being the least accurate. I know it would be easier to just host the NZB's but i have no cash for legals ;)

If you have any other feature suggestions/improvements just let me know and ill see what i can do.

Cheers.

Colt Seevers
12-15-2007, 08:56 PM
good work, thanks for sharing!

supermoe
12-16-2007, 12:48 AM
cheers

ericab
12-16-2007, 12:54 AM
dvdspider;

would you add the ability to:

show only movies above "XX" imdb ratings??

also,

show only movies with "XX" language ??

thanks again, i visit your site daily. now i always have a movie to watch at the end of the day! thanks!!

eric

dvdspider
12-17-2007, 12:03 AM
hi ericab, good idea mate! ive been thinking of putting up some more search filters but wasn't sure of the best way to do it but i really like the idea of being able to select the score you can filter by. ill get it sorted over the next few days.

glad you're all enjoying the site!

xxtonic
12-19-2007, 03:52 AM
nice one mate, looks great

dvdspider
12-20-2007, 05:10 PM
hi all, i have added a results filter so you can sort all films by date added to usenet, imdb rating and film title. once set, this will stay persistent until you click one of the main logo's or change your preference. ive also extended the title search so you can search within a genre.

one thing that became apparent when testing the sorting is that it can look like there are a lot of duplicate titles, but each one is a different release and are sub-sorted by the date added to usenet (so the newest first). i may add some sort of funk to truncate multiple entries of a single title, but i started to consider it and it made me want to cry. so i stopped thinking about it. then drank some lager. it helped.

let me know how you get on, and if there is anything else you want added :)

cheers!

dvdspider
12-28-2007, 11:03 AM
hi, ive found a way to do the same for tv rips - i.e. it would have show the plot synopsis for each episode, the series and episode number etc.

do you think that would be a worthwhile addition to the site?

dvdspider
01-11-2008, 08:07 PM
hi, ive added a few new features. probably most notable is ive included the nfo for each film if its available on usenet - you can view it without leaving the page so no pop ups or anything. ive also added a contact form so you can hit me with abuse or hopefully some features you'd like to see. ive got a lot planned over the next month so keep your eyes peeled :)

gaedeventer
01-15-2008, 12:29 PM
oi mate im curious about your site !:)

lorrebreaker
01-15-2008, 01:15 PM
Interesting site, good work.
One to keep an eye on.

dvdspider
01-19-2008, 10:27 AM
Hi all,

Some updates for you:

Upgraded the database and re-spidered all films picking up more information.
You can now view the extended plot synopsis for each film (if available).
Loads more nfo's indexed.
Added a new NFOname NZB search - very reliable.
Genre search improved, now searches all sub genres

More to follow :-)

Ok, HD-DVDs are now indexed, enjoy!

dvdspider
01-20-2008, 11:58 AM
A final few updates:

You can now view an example filename by clicking on the movie title.
Added imdb and dvd cover search links to each film.

I need a drink after all that :)

petethemanc
01-23-2008, 09:31 PM
Id love to have a butchers.

dvdspider
01-24-2008, 09:57 AM
its dvdspider.co.uk mate

dvdspider
01-26-2008, 10:54 AM
added top 10 listings now so you can see the most popular films across all 3 formats.

cheers.

fuglyness
01-26-2008, 07:01 PM
Nice one Dude.. like the ahh, bollocks when o result found in search..:smartass:

maybe the start ov a huge listing,, :) keep it up dude.. may even put a link to u on my

site.. If i ever finish it....:smoke:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

dvdspider
01-27-2008, 10:11 PM
cheers mate, yeah gotta keep those error messages entertaining or else i couldnt be arsed writing them!

let me know your site url when its finished :)

titofat
01-27-2008, 11:17 PM
looks good

Degenx
01-28-2008, 01:09 AM
Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow i'm impressed, good job!!!!!!!

dvdspider
01-28-2008, 10:40 PM
thanks, really appreciate the comments. ive got a load of updates planned for the week too :)

dvdspider
01-29-2008, 07:15 PM
hi, a few updates. ive added a comments plugin to all films now. it will show an imdb user comment where available and allow you to comment on the film as well.

also, i finally got round to writing a full guide on how to download all these films, so check out the help section for that.

:beer:

dvdspider
03-06-2008, 11:10 PM
Hi all, just to let you know the site is back online :)

Had some well annoying stuff with my host, but thats all sorted now - at last!!

:frusty:

Extremest
03-08-2008, 04:33 AM
If you would be interested I could try to help you out with a nzb search on my site. I can try to customize the search to handle what you are working with better. If you are interested let me know. The site is http://www.binindex.net

yb130225
03-08-2008, 08:37 AM
the site looks nice,i really enjoy it

yestv
03-09-2008, 03:05 PM
ok, could u pm the url?

MultiForce
03-09-2008, 03:17 PM
ok, could u pm the url?

http://www.dvdspider.co.uk/

tiolewis
03-10-2008, 01:35 AM
It seems interesting , i will take a look

Windy72
11-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Anyone still use this site. Updates appear to be lacking. Shame it seemed a good index.

NfoGuru
11-08-2008, 10:01 AM
very useful, keep it going!;)

dvdspider
11-17-2008, 11:00 AM
hi all, well its been a while but ive resurrected the site :)

thanks for all for the emails/comments - it helped me with the effort to get it all back online. the site now has 4 sections, its completely server driven so if i fall off the planet for a while it wont matter as the server will keep things updated!

as always, if theres stuff you would like to see just let me know.

cheers (http://dvdspider.co.uk)!

Windy72
11-17-2008, 07:47 PM
Great news.

dvdspider
11-20-2008, 05:55 PM
Hi, ive been adding more stuff to the site. Two decent additions, the first being the multiple release search. By each film title you will now see a folder search icon: http://www.dvdspider.co.uk/images/folder_find.png

By clicking this, it will automatically search for all the releases for your chosen film, in its chosen format. Its a handy features cos i always like to compare all the available releases for a film i like the look of to make sure i get the best copy :)

The second, smaller feature is just a big dirty listbox on the right hand side which allows you to quickly view every film thats available in the chosen format. Nice and simple way of trawling through all the films.

More features to be added soon...
http://www.dvdspider.co.uk/images/folder_search.php

dvdspider
11-23-2008, 01:15 PM
hi all, another update for you. i have added a web 2.0 ish autocomplete on the search box. its pretty useful at showing you if the film you want is available without actually having to search for it.

ive found it lets you know of a few other films that you forgot about that you actually want :) lets say you want a 1080p version of The Dark Knight, by just typing "dark" there's a few more suggestions:

http://www.dvdspider.co.uk/images/autocomplete.png

the max suggestions it will show is 5, but the more you type, the more it narrows down the matches.

hope you find it useful!

Funkin'
11-26-2008, 09:40 AM
Looks like a great site. Thank you.

dvdspider
11-26-2008, 06:11 PM
thanks Funkin' - always helps to know people are gettin some good use out of it :01:

so, another pretty major update for you all: if you're a bit dumb like me and find yourself losing track which release you downloaded, or end up downloading another release of the same film or forget about the film completely, then you'll like the new bookmarking system.

basically click the http://www.dvdspider.co.uk/images/add.png button to add the chosen film and hit http://www.dvdspider.co.uk/images/delete.png to get rid of it. its all nicely web 2.0 style again, so the page doesnt have to go through a reload or any rubbish like that.

all the bookmarked films are then available in their own section.

right, i really need a drink after doing that, its melted my brain.

dvdspider
12-28-2008, 10:34 AM
are there any new features that you would like to see on the site? i will do my best to get them in there (if they are possible!) :yup:

cheers!

skiners
12-29-2008, 10:33 AM
That is the one great site. Very useful.
Thank you dvdspider.

dvdspider
12-30-2008, 04:35 PM
No worries mate, glad you've found it useful :)

Balix
12-31-2008, 03:33 AM
it would be nice if you included if the DVD is retail,R5,dvdscr etc...keep up the good work, looks like a nice site.

neo24
01-02-2009, 04:54 AM
thx looks good

seh
01-04-2009, 12:44 PM
yeah dvdspider, just want to let u know i also appreciate what ur doin here, site looks good, I use it a lot!
Keep it up!

dvdspider
01-05-2009, 01:45 PM
hi guys, thanks for the comments, it gives me the motivation to keep the site going :)

the hazy drunken mist from new year's partying has almost gone, so i should hopefully be adding a few new features to the site soon!

balix, i have tried many ways to get this data in an intelligent way, but its pretty impossible without some manual intervention - but i may have an idea so watch this space!!

cheers all

dvdspider
01-07-2009, 07:29 PM
Balix, i have managed to get the info you want for each release - i am able to pull out the region, rip source, format and audio type (if/when available). However, how and where should i display all this?! :w00t:

If i add up to another 4 bullet points for each film, its gonna get more bloated than Dawn French on a pie binge. I could have collapsable divs that hide the info before you click it, but i think it might all get a bit confusing.

Any ideas most appreciated! Oh, and i found a bug with the way the top films were being counted so it wasnt accurate - i have blitzed that and cleaned it up, so those will start to populate properly from now on :)

Cheers

dvdspider
02-06-2009, 10:55 AM
hi all, after a lot of requests, i have plugged into opensubtitles so, in the links section for each movie there is now a "Subtitles" link which points to a load of .srt files.

there is a whole range of subtitle languages available, so hopefully that will help you out.

more to come... :)

dvdspider
03-08-2009, 07:57 PM
hi all, well pretty much the #1 thing people have contacted us about is to add more specific individual release information such as the rip's language, source etc...

well, good news! for all releases from about 3 months ago, this information has been captured, and its now shown in a tab format on the main pages (just under the trailers):

http://www.dvdspider.co.uk/images/dvdspiderinfo.png

its also shown on the individual film info pages. i hope this improves the experience for you all, and saves you some bandwidth :01:

as always, let me know if you think of something you want.

dvdspider
03-27-2009, 08:49 PM
Hi all,

Well the size of this job was bigger than Dawn French at Christmas, but its finally done :)

We have back populated pretty much all the attributes for releases up to 240 days old. There was over 10,000 updates, so the days of downloading a film in the wrong language should be finished!!

Enjoy!

hugoblank
03-28-2009, 02:25 AM
For what its worth, I think the site looks nice and professional.

Regards,

Hugo

dvdspider
03-28-2009, 07:45 AM
Thanks mate :cheers:

MCS
04-05-2009, 08:37 PM
site is awesome. thanks a bunch

Funkin'
04-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Yeah, thank you dvdspider for keeping up with this site. Eventhough you may not get too many thank yous, I'm sure a lot of people appreciate your site.

dvdspider
04-08-2009, 07:23 AM
Hey, cheers for the thanks - really appreciate it! I dont have much time to devote to the site at the moment so new features are a bit rare, but at least the site can update itself :)

wickedfeel
05-21-2009, 03:21 PM
OK, I hate to ask but what happened? The site has been down for a couple days now, hopefully not a permanent loss..... BTW, I've never noticed any donate links on the site, otherwise I would have. The indexing on dvd-spider is THE BEST, thanks.

strakekine
05-21-2009, 05:09 PM
Yeah, what happened? I love the indexing system of dvdspider...Makes it so much easier...Hope it is not a permanent loss :-(

dvdspider
05-23-2009, 09:58 AM
Hi all,

Im having a nightmare with my host, the site's bandwidth is getting pretty extreme (for them) and they have pretty much set a ransom to get it back online! Maybe a donate button would help get a better server - but i will try and pay it off to get it online again :)

Cheers!

Edit: we're back!!!

wickedfeel
05-25-2009, 09:27 AM
Welcome back, it would be great if you got a paypal link up and do whatever you can to decrease the bandwith usage, minimize any heavy loading graphics. The only thing that matters is the accurate indexing of what movies are available, everything else is just eye candy (I would suppose most is offloaded from youtube?). Either way, I'd be happpy to make a donation...Thx again!

Stellar
05-25-2009, 10:17 AM
Good to see you got the site back up. If you get a donation link up I'll definitely contribute. :D

dvdspider
05-26-2009, 10:43 AM
hi all, i have cleaned stuff up and removed some rubbish from the code which was eating bandwidth. stuff like the news is gone, cos its just pointless :)

regarding features that you would like to see, just fire 'em at me and ill try to get them sorted.

cheers!

wickedfeel
05-27-2009, 05:32 PM
OK, I see a donation link up now! Thanks for keeping the site around. Don't forget to donate if you rely on this site with regularity and are able to afford it.

executioner
05-27-2009, 08:42 PM
hi all, i have cleaned stuff up and removed some rubbish from the code which was eating bandwidth. stuff like the news is gone, cos its just pointless :)

regarding features that you would like to see, just fire 'em at me and ill try to get them sorted.

cheers!

Any Chance You Would Be Able To Start Indexing Tv Material eg. DVD-R & XviD

kevin matnick
05-27-2009, 09:14 PM
http://www.dvdrsource.org/

i registered today
may be it will be nice like swedvdr later

dvdspider
05-31-2009, 07:39 AM

cheers!

i will look into it mate, its a bit difficult cos some tv stuff like an episode's synopsis isnt on IMDb, but i will see what i can do :)

executioner
05-31-2009, 11:02 AM

i will look into it mate, its a bit difficult cos some tv stuff like an episode's synopsis isnt on IMDb, but i will see what i can do :)

Cheers buddy, just a thought instead of using IMDb for the tv stuff how about TvRage instead, if its possible

AssassiNBG
06-06-2009, 02:47 PM
I've got some suggestions for the your website:

Limit the number of posts displayed on the front page, it causes the whole site to feel 'slow'. Or make sure the youtube script that loads the trailer suggestions is not showed on the main page. I think that slows the whole site down a lot and overall causes poor user experience. At least that's the most obvious thing I noticed upon first glance.

Also get a less popular css design, you website looks just like a lot of other kinds of websites that use the same free css template. If you can find someone to design a unique one just for your website would be best. If I were you I'd do it myself, although I'm no designer, I would get inspiration from or significantly redesign an available template so that it looks unique and more suitable to your specific type of website.

SEO-wise:

Make dynamic title and meta tags, specific to every movie. You could include the genre or one or two the main actors/actresses. This will definitely help in distinguishing posts, as right now the only thing that makes them different is the movie title.

You could scrape movie info (your page content) from multiple websites, not just imdb - this will give you more unique individual pages that will have a higher chance of not ending up in the Google supplemental index. And believe me that's the last place you want to have them.

That's it for now, hope I've helped.

bonkers
06-14-2009, 10:27 PM
would just like to say think ya site is great m8 well done keep up the good work :):):)

Kingpin
06-23-2009, 02:46 PM
thedvdclub

boobly
06-28-2009, 12:13 AM
any chance for bdr in the near future?

djkemp1
08-13-2009, 02:08 PM
hi, just wondered what has happened to dvdspider as the dvd section doesn't seem to show any info? anyone else found this?

JonMichael
08-15-2009, 05:02 AM
Ironically, I came across dvdspider.co.uk on another site and ended up seeing this post about an hour later. Anyway, I like the site - nice work man.

dvdspider_
09-25-2009, 09:25 AM
Just an update for this thread.

The ownership of this site changed hands in July 08, I am now the new owner. The Entire front end of the site has been re-coded (more to come too!) The database as been re-configured and optimised too.

The site re-launched this week and traffic is already building!

We would like your comments on the look and feel of the site, and any suggestions are welcome! Please feel free to use the contact link on the site.