PDA

View Full Version : Compression

Alfons Åberg
07-22-2003, 10:42 PM
Just wanted to ask you guys if anyone know which archiver is the best? ok ok I know it´s not the best thing to do when sharing, preview wont work and so on but not much of a choice :huh: space space space always trying to get more space :lol:

I got so much of movies, mpeg, avi etc that i cant just throw away (or maybe I should buy a new HD :P , but until then <_< dont have the heart to chuck them and I just need to share them with you guys :rolleyes:

I´ve been trying RAR but it doesn´t seem to be that effective and it´s slow as well.
So i said to myself, why should I sit here trying to compress the same file over and over again to see which archiver is the best when I have a whole bunch of storageholics to ask here :lol:

So what you think, rar, zip, arj, ace or...... :blink:

:lol: I´m just going too..... said Alfie Atkins :lol:

DarthInsinuate
07-22-2003, 11:10 PM
movie files are pretty well compressed the way they are now
the best compression ratio you&#39;ll get is just under 1%

but if you&#39;re really desperate use 7-zip (http://www.7-zip.com), and find another way to free up disk space

EDIT: Horrible grammar

Jibbler
07-22-2003, 11:30 PM
Don&#39;t bother compressing your archives, you won&#39;t save much space. Though, RAR is still the best format in my opinion. Its slow, but it works. :huh:

Alfons Åberg
07-22-2003, 11:56 PM
Thanks,

Think i´m going to give 7-zip a try, looked ok if it perform as well as it said on their homepage <_<

Bye the way Jibbler, how much do you want for you space :D just kidding :lol:

I have a 120GB serial ata coming in next month :lol: so that will fix it but until then :blink: this is going to drive me :huh: C :o R :( A :angry: Z :ph34r: Y :rolleyes:

infamousalbo101
07-23-2003, 12:00 AM
http://www.allamericanguys.com/infopopstuff/emoticons/iamwithstupid.gif

Alfons Åberg
07-23-2003, 12:35 AM
Well said infamousalbo101, we all agree to your xlnt staement:blink:

vegeta
07-23-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Jibbler@23 July 2003 - 00:30
Don&#39;t bother compressing your archives, you won&#39;t save much space. Though, RAR is still the best format in my opinion. Its slow, but it works. :huh:
rar is best out there ^_^

DarthInsinuate
07-23-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by vegeta@23 July 2003 - 13:23

rar is best out there ^_^
for people who still believe that: try 7-zip