PDA

View Full Version : Nav 2003 S*** Itself

Adster
07-23-2003, 01:34 AM
Ok I wake up this morning and I see MY NAV 2003 Pro has auto Protect off email scanning says error and live update has been turned off wtf??? I try to turn them back on press ok but it does nothing I go back and the box is unticked. wtf??? is going on :huh:

Adster
07-23-2003, 02:17 AM
Ok I tryed unistalling I tryed rinstalling still it comes up witha internal error :(

I cna't get the damm auto protect to work

Storm
07-23-2003, 03:12 AM
is it a legal version???? cause maybe they updated a patch 2 make sure serialed versions dun work.............

Adster
07-23-2003, 03:16 AM
umm cough no its not legal but it doesnt matter becaseu when I unistalled and reinstalled again from scratch the same crap happened so i know thats not the problem

ultimatejester
07-23-2003, 03:18 AM
i dont no, my live update used to work fine and now its fucked up, i havent received a update in 20 days. :lol: :lol: . i will try nis now.

Adster
07-23-2003, 03:26 AM
i dont no, my live update used to work fine and now its fucked up, i havent received a update in 20 days.  . i will try nis now.

lol I forgot to mention that

balamm
07-23-2003, 03:48 AM
You gotta go through your registry and program files and get rid of anything that says NAV SYM VBOX LUCOM and a bunch of others. Norton has a removal tool but it won' get all of it out. You could try installing Norton Corporate instead. If you want the regular norton back after, then the corporate uninstall should hopefully reset things.

Adster
07-23-2003, 05:25 AM
Well Unfortunlyl I think i'm f*ked and have to format my HD and start from scratch :(

EnJoi
07-23-2003, 05:27 AM
yup same happened to me when i tried to installed XP after Me it sucked i feel ur pain

summond_skull
07-23-2003, 12:54 PM
i had the same problem as u and i later found out it was a virus it disables auto protect and live update the only way around it iz to delete a recent file u dled or put all ur files to a cd(S) then restall windows then install ur internet and norton only then update norton then install everything else and u'll be fine.

sorry to brake the bad news to u :(

TRshady
07-23-2003, 01:04 PM
NAV always used to cause problems for me, maybe due to it being the version of kazaa whichis whyI have stuck with AVG and it has served me well.

I love norton systemworks though,does this meanthe 2004 edition is due out soon too?

Adster
07-23-2003, 01:31 PM
i had the same problem as u and i later found out it was a virus it disables auto protect and live update the only way around it iz to delete a recent file u dled or put all ur files to a cd(S) then restall windows then install ur internet and norton only then update norton then install everything else and u'll be fine.

thanks for that could be the problem

My next question is what the hell is the point of a anti virus?? then if it doesn't work??

Whats the name of the virus?

summond_skull
07-23-2003, 01:44 PM
this happened to me quite recently but i cant remember the virus properly but i think it waz called big blue.

that will only take effect if u didnt update norton. thats how i got the virus.

did u dl a emulator or a microsoft product form kazaa lite?

mm ur rite whats the point of an antivirus if it doesnt work :angry:

if u have to re-install windows at least u'll have all of ur files (execpt the virus)

u may find that after a while ur internet starts to go slower unless u have dsl or something like that

Adster
07-23-2003, 01:48 PM
hmmm I dont get it the only things Ive downlaoded were varifieds and music off soulseek

Im only 56k user and still am getting speeds of 5.2 maz so hmmm not sure

btw how did you find the virus?

Cage72
07-23-2003, 04:59 PM
Seeing this post confirms things for me. I recently had to Uninstall and Reinstall NAV 2003 but after installing and it going through the Defintions Update of the install It wouldn't complete..and after being told by a few people that it might be a server problem on the end of Symantec Now i know it wasn't as it seems they have figured it out..and Now Updates can't be installed. I definitely knew something was wrong when after reinstalling a second time and the Subscription Date was the same as the time before and this was even after going in and Using Ashampoo Optimizer to wipe files. Anyone have any luck with the Corporate Edition or is the same thing going on with Virus Defintion Updates wit that version also?

slick nick
07-23-2003, 05:09 PM
ditch norton's I got kaspersky which is far superior off irc. I'd create a hash but I hardly use kazaa.

summond_skull
07-23-2003, 05:43 PM
rit this topic waz MADE so the guy could get help not for being told how good or crap norton is.

slick nick
07-23-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by summond_skull@23 July 2003 - 18:43
rit this topic waz MADE so the guy could get help not for being told how good or crap norton is.
Sorry but telling someone the software they use is crap and to get a better product instead of reinstalling the same junk is help. Moderate a post and tell someone what theycan reply with when you're a moderator. Kaspersky catches virus norton's misses. Norton IS crap. That's my HELP. Don't agree? TOUGH!

toddiscool
07-23-2003, 09:11 PM
Ant new hardware installed, i had this problem. Norton drivers conflicting with my peice of shit scanner. I disabled autostart autoprotect then after i booted up enabled it until I got a better scanner. If you have installed any new hardware lately it could be a driver conflict, because antivirus does use drivers and they are not really that solid.

pol
07-23-2003, 09:21 PM
just to try and rule out the point that the updates on the version from k-lite are whats messing it up - i use the d/l'd version and my updates and virus definitions are still working fine

LTJBukem
07-23-2003, 10:56 PM
Have you disabled task scheduler?

shogunxxx
07-23-2003, 11:30 PM
June 25, 2003
Symantec Security Check ActiveX Buffer Overflow
Risk
Moderate
Overview
A vulnerability was discovered in a component of Symantec Security Check's online interface. The vulnerability is a buffer overflow in an ActiveX component. An exploit of this vulnerability can lead to unauthorized system access.
Components Affected
Symantec Security Check rufsi.dll dated prior to June 23, 2003.
Description
Symantec was made aware of Symantec Security Check's ActiveX buffer overflow vulnerability on Monday June 23, 2003 through a public posting on the Internet. Since hearing of the exploit Symantec has worked diligently to replace the ActiveX Control on Symantec Security Check. Through Symantec's customer support, we are working with users who may have downloaded the exploited ActiveX Control to remove it from their systems. Although Symantec Security Check is available to both PC and Mac users, this issue only affects PCs.

Symantec Security Check is a free web-based tool that enables users to test their computer's exposure to a wide range of on-line threats. As part of running the check, users may install an ActiveX Control, which remains on the user's system even after the check has completed.

The current ActiveX Control - which can be named Symantec RuFSI Utility Class or Symantec RuFSI Registry Information Class - contains a buffer overflow exploit. The buffer overflow can be exploited when the user with this ActiveX Control visits a malicious website intent on exploiting this vulnerability. The exploit can cause Internet Explorer to crash and/or the execution of arbitrary code on the user's computer.
Symantec Response
Symantec has replaced the current ActiveX Control on the Symantec Security Check website so that new visitors will not be affected by the exploit.

Recent visitors to Symantec Security Check should revisit the site and run a new Security Scan. By running a new scan, the previous ActiveX Control will be replaced by an updated ActiveX Control that fixes the buffer overflow condition.

Advanced users can attempt to delete the ActiveX Control by rebooting and then going into the system folder: %SystemRoot%\Downloaded Program Files\ and delete "rufsi.dll". This must be done by using the command prompt and the user must not be on the Symantec Security Check site at the time.

A removal tool has been developed [URL=http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/CleanSSC.exe]

i had the same problem so i reinstalled nav2002 and it work's fine.
i have since been told that if you use the clean up tool it could solve the problem in the 2003.
i don't know if it work's but it can't hurt to try it:P

chalkmongoose
07-24-2003, 12:20 AM
I don't use antivirus, so I have nary a clue. I have NAV 2004 Beta installed, but just as eye-candy, it doesn't serve any purpose. The corporate build (currently build 8) works VERY nicely. I would recommend getting that.

LTJBukem
07-24-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by chalkmongoose@ 24 July 2003 - 01:20

I don't use antivirus
Grrrrr...... Why the hell not?????????

Adster
07-24-2003, 12:37 AM
thanks guys for the views and help you have posted very mixed posts which still keep me thinking wtf?? could it be that the downlaoded version off kazaa of NAV 2003 Pro has been worked out?? or is my computer just decided to go BOOM!

To answer that other persons questions No I Havn't installed any new hardware

basics
07-24-2003, 12:55 AM
i got nav 2003 prof edition from kazaa it works fine, auto update is regular as clockwork and subscribed till next may!

skelley521
07-24-2003, 01:33 AM
First uninstall your copy of nortons antivirus then try Nortons Removal tool HERE (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606?Open&src=&docid=2002061016251406&nsf=nav.nsf&view=8d071816eedd7cac88256c0e005a96e5&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=). Then re-install your copy of nortons again. I would also suggest running an on-line virus scanner or installing AVG to check for a possible infections before the re-install.
What OS are you running? I would also recommend restarting both before and after the uninstall/removal tool and the new install. Also, running your favorite REG Cleaner before the new install wouldnt hurt.
As for the corporate version, I would recommend v8.1. The corporate version doesnt scan email in outlook express; only in outlook; but will detect any viruses during the real time scan.

Hope this helps,
Steve

Adster
07-24-2003, 02:39 AM
I tryed that nortons removal didnt work same thing :( i tryed unistalling reinstalling on different partition used reg cleaner same thing.

Im using Xp prop too

summond_skull
07-24-2003, 03:07 PM
hogster is ur internet going slow?
if it iz then u definatly have a virus.
does it let u update?
is autoprotect diabled?
if these things r occuring then u have a virus 100%

the cure is simply pur all ur data to cd(s) then re-install windows then install norton only and internet then update notron then install everything else and u will find out that the virus should be fixed

johnboy27
07-24-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Hogster@24 July 2003 - 03:39
I tryed that nortons removal didnt work same thing :( i tryed unistalling reinstalling on different partition used reg cleaner same thing.

Im using Xp prop too
Are you trying to install from the exact same DL'd copy that you first installed from? If you aren't then that is likely why you can't get it to work.It has happened to me inn the past so I got smart and burned off the right one when I found it.
Run the removal tool(Rnav2003.exe) and then try a reinstall.If it doesn't work properly then try downloading another copy and trying again. I believe the reason that this happens is because you actually register with norton when you install and if you try to reinstall with a different copy it doesn't match on their end. I highly doubt that Norton has even tried to "fix" the 2003 model or any other for that matter,why bother when you have a new release coming out with copyright protection? I have the kazaa version and haven't had any problems.

johnboy27
07-24-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by summond_skull@24 July 2003 - 16:07
hogster is ur internet going slow?
if it iz then u definatly have a virus.
does it let u update?
is autoprotect diabled?
if these things r occuring then u have a virus 100%

the cure is simply pur all ur data to cd(s) then re-install windows then install norton only and internet then update notron then install everything else and u will find out that the virus should be fixed
Or an even easier solution would be to find out what virus it is,go to www.symantec.com and download the corresponding removal tool and remove the virus.After removal, do a repai install of windows and Voila ,all fixed.
Sometimes formatting doesn't repair viruses,sometimes they copy themselves to your boot sector which makes for a bitch of a time when you keep reinstalling windows and have the same problem over and over again.

summond_skull
07-24-2003, 05:21 PM
mmmmm u have a point some viruses do that. BUT when i re-installed windows coz of the same virus i was cured but ur way is good and easy as well.