PDA

View Full Version : Saddam Hussein's Sons Killed In Raid

slammy_dunken
07-23-2003, 02:00 AM
Tuesday, July 22, 2003

MOSUL, Iraq -- Saddam Hussein's sons Odai and Qusai were killed in a six-hour firefight Tuesday when U.S. forces, acting on a tip from an Iraqi informant, surrounded and then stormed a palatial villa in this northern Iraqi town, a senior American general said.

Four coalition soldiers were wounded and two other Iraqis were killed in the raid, but Saddam was not among them. The house belonged to one of Saddam's cousins, a key tribal leader in the region.

"We are certain that Odai and Qusai were killed today,'' said Lt.-Gen. Ricardo Sanchez at a news conference in Baghdad. "The bodies were in such a condition where you could identify them.''

The deaths of the sons could have a major impact on the Iraqi resistance, which has been mounting about a dozen attacks a day against U.S. occupation troops. The guerrillas are thought to be former military officers and Baath party leaders loyal to Saddam and his family _ especially the sons, who played primary roles in the military and feared security services.

Both Odai and Qusai ranked second only to their father in the deposed regime, officials have said. They were Nos. 2 and 3 on the U.S. list of 55 top former Iraqi officials wanted by Washington. The United States had offered a $25 million US reward for information leading to Saddam's capture and $15 million each for his sons.

In Washington, L. Paul Bremer, Iraq's top civilian administrator, said he did not want to comment on how the deaths of Saddam's sons would affect security in Iraq.

However, Bremer said: "It certainly is good news for the Iraqi people.''

"This will contribute significantly to reducing attacks on coalition soldiers,'' said Ahmad Chalabi, a delegate from the Coalition Provisional Authority, speaking at the United Nations.

Asked whether the killing of the sons would reduce the incessant attacks on American forces, Sanchez said he thought the security situation now would improve.

"I believe very firmly this will have an effect. This will prove to the Iraqi people that these two members of the Iraqi regime will never come to power again,'' Sanchez said.

Hours after the raid in Mosul, gunfire erupted throughout Baghdad, making travel very dangerous. The shooting was believed to be celebratory as news of the killing of the sons spread through the capital.

"It's probably very appropriate that they would be celebrating about now,'' Sanchez said.

Fighting broke out after soldiers from the 101st Airborne Division surrounded the stone, columned villa.

When troops approached the building, gunmen inside opened fire with small arms. The "suspects barricaded themselves in the house'' and "resisted fiercely,'' Sanchez said.

"They died in a fierce gunbattle,'' Sanchez added.

He told reporters that soldiers from the 101st Airborne Division were working on a tip from an Iraqi informant that the sons were present in the house.

Asked if the $15 million rewards would be paid, Sanchez said: "I would expect that it probably will happen.''

According to witnesses in Mosul, a small force of American soldiers went to the house about 9 a.m. and asked permission to search it. The occupants refused, and the patrol withdrew until about 10 a.m., when 100 more soldiers arrived in 25 vehicles.

The Americans opened fire but received fierce return fire from inside the home, the witnesses said. Kiowa helicopters arrived and fired rockets into the villa. The interior of the house was destroyed and two adjacent homes were badly damaged.

Once the fighting died down, Iraqi police arrived to help the Americans search the building.

"When we saw the people in the house shooting back, we knew Odai and Qusai were there,'' said the 31-year-old Jamal.

Afterward, about 1,000 people gathered, some expressing delight, others cursing the Americans.

The soldiers removed four bodies and did not let photographers near enough to take pictures.

The building, in the al-Falah neighbourhood, was left charred and smoldering, its high facade riddled with gaping holes from bullets and heavy weaponry. Helicopters roamed the sky.

Some Mosul civilians appeared to have been caught in the crossfire. It was not known how many people were injured, but several were taken to a hospital.

Officials gave conflicting reports on whether anyone was captured during the assault. The officials said they had no initial information that would suggest Saddam was present during the raid.

Experts conducted DNA tests after the bodies were flown from Mosul to another location, officials said.

Throughout the day, Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld briefed President George W. Bush personally about the assault.

Qusai was probably intended as Saddam's successor, according to U.S. intelligence officials. He ran much of Iraq's security apparatus, controlling several militias, internal security services and the military forces of the once-vaunted Republican Guard.

He was described as quiet and level, particularly compared to Odai, Saddam's eldest son, who had a reputation for brutality and flamboyance. Odai controlled Saddam's Fedayeen, the paramilitary force that fought U.S. troops during the war; many of its survivors are thought to be part of the ongoing guerrilla campaign in Iraq.

Odai also controlled information and propaganda in Saddam's Iraq, and was chairman of the country's Olympic committee.

Saddam has a third, younger son, according to some reports, and three daughters. All kept a low profile in his regime.

Mosul, a town 390 kilometres northwest of Baghdad that housed Iraqi army bases, is outside the so-called Sunni Triangle in central Iraq _ home to much of the remaining support for Saddam, a Sunni Muslim who used his party to oppress the country's Shiite majority.

The triangle is also a centre of anti-American resistance: In the latest attack, Tuesday, a U.S. soldier was killed and another wounded in an ambush along a dangerous road north of Baghdad. His death brought to 153 the number of U.S. troops killed in action since the March 20 start of war, six more than during the 1991 Gulf War.

The U.S. Central Command said the attackers used rocket-propelled grenades and small arms in the assault staged along the road between Balad, 80 kilometres north of Baghdad, and Ramadi, 100 kilometres west of the capital. It gave no other details.
Source: canada.com (http://www.canada.com/national/)

...No comment...

Mr. Blunt
07-23-2003, 02:31 AM
Wow, i guess they really did kill them.

Now they should try and find Saddam and Osama. :rolleyes:

Black Crow Dog
07-23-2003, 02:43 AM
Sweet.

kAb
07-23-2003, 03:42 AM
hooah!

bastards :angry:

now time for osama and saddam to die :angry:

Jay
07-23-2003, 07:45 AM
just saw it on the news

denis123
07-23-2003, 07:54 AM
I would have rather seen them go on trial

Makaveli-tha-don
07-23-2003, 12:05 PM
i dont think they are really dead, its all America who is now trying to show the world that they can do some shit

i wouldnt blieve untill i see their dead bodies

they are dead like America first killed Saddam Hussain but he turned out to be alive :lol: :lol: :lol:

hypoluxa3k
07-23-2003, 01:03 PM
bollocks

The US used a few hundred soldiers and helicopter gunships to take down four Iraqis. Wow! That's something to be really proud of. The assholes in the media are playing it up as if it were the Battle of the Bulge. This "victory" is as credible as awarding Pvt. Jessica a Bronze Star for surviving a car crash. :lol:

***"When we saw the people in the house shooting back, we knew Odai and Qusai were there,'' said the 31-year-old Jamal.

and how's that u asshole? btw, did the americans not think for a second that there may be women and kids in this 'house'.
"hey some iraqi just told us Saddam's kids are in this house, let's bombard it with bullets and bombs!"

****The soldiers removed four bodies and did not let photographers near enough to take pictures.

bingo&#33; where&#39;s the proof&#33;? <_< <_< <_<

and now they&#39;re talking about dental records&#33;? <_< <_< <_<
well i guess we&#39;ll just have to take thier word for it eh?

bollocks

ilw
07-23-2003, 01:31 PM
Hypoluxa, ur comments show a strong bias.

Why would they claim they were dead? That would end up a propoganda victory for the resistance as they (resistance) would know if they were alive or dead and could undoubtedly provide proof. They are IMO almost certainly dead, apparently the bodies are recognisable, also dental records, old injuries and other stuff makes them think its them http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_ea...ast/3088991.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3088991.stm) (though of course u&#39;ll probably dismiss this as American lies)

As for the rest of the operation:

All the reports i&#39;ve read said the following: as US troops approached the house (which is at the centre of some of the most heavy resistance in all of Iraq) the troops came under heavy fire (ie the americans didn&#39;t just start shooting at a house, they were instead fired upon.) the Americans responded and to avoid casualties they called in helicopter support.

As for women and children in the house, thats wouldn&#39;t have been the American&#39;s fault would it as that would count as the Iraqi&#39;s possibly using them as human shields. Anyway thats academic cos there were no female casualties. Qusay&#39;s teenage son (they reckon) is reported dead, but then I would assume he was involved in the fighting.

Admittedly all the info we have must come through the american military, but that doesn&#39;t mean its all carefully constructed lies.

echidna
07-23-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by ilw@23 July 2003 - 23:31
Hypoluxa, ur comments show a strong bias.

Why would they claim they were dead?
what unlike the three or so times we&#39;ve been told that saddam is dead

you show a strong bias to want to believe ilw

what does it mean anyway two US servicemen have been killed since this great coup, so it&#39;s not improving security too fast

i&#39;m so sick of the bias label being used by obviously biased people :sleeping:

ilw
07-23-2003, 01:55 PM
No i don&#39;t think i show or have a strong bias. When did they ever say we have saddam&#39;s body have done numerous tests on it and claim he is dead. With saddam they just launched raids and said they reckoned they might have got him. No bodies, no tests and no definite claims.

And my comment about "why would they claim this&#39; was supposed to link in with the comment after it, as the comment after it states the obviosu reason they wouldn&#39;t claim it.

I&#39;m so sick of people so biased that they look for it when it isn&#39;t there. <_<

hypoluxa3k
07-23-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by ilw@23 July 2003 - 13:31
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_ea...ast/3088991.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3088991.stm) (though of course u&#39;ll probably dismiss this as American lies)
yep.

and anyway, why were saddam&#39;s two sons still in iraq?
bingo again&#33; it doesn&#39;t make sense&#33;
go back to yr drawing boards you yanks, and come up with something more credible. :lol:

ilw
07-23-2003, 02:44 PM
Are u sure none of u guys used to have a certain job in a certain absent government
http://www.welovetheiraqiinformationminister.com/images/07-minister.jpg
:-"
Don&#39;t worry theres no price on your head ur always far too amusing

crazy_billy_bats
07-23-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by denis123@23 July 2003 - 07:54
I would have rather seen them go on trial
totally agree.

And not to get the "death sentence".

Should have let them rot away in prison the rest of their lives. I didnt read all the story but that if they are guilty of similar henous crimes as their father, they deserve to rot in prison, make them think about what they have done each day of their lives instead of killing them outright.

hobbes
07-23-2003, 05:34 PM
Unlike other reports, which were qualified, this report was very direct and concrete. Whomever wants to keep their head in the sand, feel free.

Why should photos have been allowed? It is not standard practice to put dead faces on American TV. Is Enis in Ada, Oklahoma expected to see these pictures and call Washington to ID the dead brothers. "Yep, that ol&#39; boy is Qusay, I reckon"&#33;

It is amazing how minds can twist the info see what they need. I declare that the brothers are dead and this statement will not be retracted.

I wish they had been taken alive, much more valuable that way. I guess when you need to call in tow missles to break down fortified walls, casualities are inevitable.

MagicNakor
07-23-2003, 08:10 PM
It&#39;s highly unlikely that, even with the best of efforts, they would&#39;ve let themselves be taken alive.

:ninja:

Rat Faced
07-23-2003, 08:29 PM
I dont care how much of a bastard someone is...

Celebrating Death is sick...

J'Pol
07-23-2003, 08:43 PM
They were torturers, murderers and rapists.

The older one was a total psychotic, who ripped a man&#39;s tongue out for saying bad things about his father. He did this in person. He also locked a woman in a garden and set starving dogs on her, because she would not willingly have sex with him.

The younger one ran the security service and the republican guards. He was being groomed to take over from his father.

They executed people by attaching explosives to them and blowing them up, videoing the result.

They were if anything worse than their Father, at least now and carried on with his traditions.

I believe that they were actually running their fathers regime for him, as he is quite old now. They people of Iraq lived in terror of them, as they had the power of life or painfull death over everyone in the country. They also assisted their father in stealing the country&#39;s wealth, rather than using it to improve it&#39;s infrastructure.

They were amongst the most evil men in the world.

I feel that it is reasonable to celebrate their deaths, if for no other reason than they will not be able to do any of the above. I am sure a lot of the people who suffered at their hands will agree.

abigspidermonkey
07-23-2003, 08:52 PM
Good they got the retards...http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38234000/jpg/_38234991_qusay.jpg :lol:

Rat Faced
07-23-2003, 11:34 PM
I never said they didnt DESERVE to die JPaul...

But CELEBRATING someones death is still, in my opinion, sick...

slammy_dunken
07-24-2003, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Rat Faced@23 July 2003 - 17:34
Agreed. How would you feel if your family was killed except for you, and your neighbor starts celebrating? It doesn&#39;t just sicken me to know that someone celebrates someone&#39;s death. It also tells me how people don&#39;t have respect for their own kind. Sure, Saddam&#39;s sons may be losers, but they should be respected as a human being.

evilbagpuss
07-24-2003, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Friedrich Nietzsche
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss gazes into you..."

the_faceman
07-24-2003, 04:31 PM
US releases photo&#39;s of what they say is Uday and Quasay Hussein.

Photo Link (http://search.news.yahoo.com/search/news/?c=news_photos&p=uday+qusay+corpse)

Not horrific photo&#39;s, but not pleasant either.

geitje3
07-24-2003, 04:52 PM
Yesterday also in the paper :bush happy the brothers are dead

I thought yeah duuh&#33; who not

Or you don&#39;t maybe sorry&#33;

:P

hypoluxa3k
07-24-2003, 05:10 PM
Yahoo Photos

either that&#39;s not them, or both of em put on some weight, grew larger beards and went bald <_<

J'Pol
07-24-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Rat Faced@24 July 2003 - 00:34
I never said they didnt DESERVE to die JPaul...

Sorry to disagree, normally I wouldn&#39;t, with regard to this issue.

However there is a difference when the people involved are actually evil. Not just very bad - evil.

The world is a far better place having lost them. I see no reason not to celebrate.

the_faceman
07-24-2003, 05:55 PM
My personal opinion is that the dead in those pictures are Uday and Quasay Hussein. I&#39;ve seen enough on Ogrish.com and various other sites to know that a violent death can leave someone looking a lot less than their normal self.

Hypoluxa3k, i think that the US Government would be crazy to risk further embarrassment by releasing pictures claiming to be the sons without being sure it&#39;s them. That being said, the US Government&#39;s middle name is "Crazy-Mc-Craze".

Still, i think when the dust settles it&#39;ll be proven that Uday and Quasay are both dead, and i&#39;m sure the world is a better place without them alive in it.

leonidas
07-25-2003, 09:13 AM
http://salebetesurleouaibe.free.fr/Page(s)%20Ben%20Laden/IMAGES/cin%E9ma%20afganistone.jpg

TRshady
07-25-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Makaveli-tha-don@23 July 2003 - 12:05
i dont think they are really dead, its all America who is now trying to show the world that they can do some shit

i wouldnt blieve untill i see their dead bodies
You would say that wouldn&#39;t you .................... j/k

I don&#39;t really care much much about the current war events which probably explains why this is my first ever post in this section.

Neil__
07-25-2003, 02:30 PM
How stupid would it be to claim their death falsely.
They would prove their still alive and then nobody in Iraq would believe another woed America said.

Neil.