PDA

View Full Version : antivirus on seedbox?

koolyt
12-08-2007, 12:25 AM
got vectoral. do i need to install any antivirus?

N4riX
12-08-2007, 12:27 AM
good question koolyt, i'd like to know this as well

LoKaLiRi
12-08-2007, 12:31 AM
never heard about this b4

josephs911
12-08-2007, 01:12 AM
depends if you are doing alot of web browsing, if it is windows i say yes. If its linux you will be ok...

jr56
12-08-2007, 01:52 AM
It depends on what you will be doing with the server, if you only will be running utorrent there really is no need to run antivirus

fstokebanget
12-08-2007, 05:00 AM
how about the personal firewire like zonealarm ? do I need to install it on the seedbox ?

stoi
12-08-2007, 05:06 AM
depends what you are doing, if its just a seedbox with linux then no antviirus or firewall.

its its a dedi server for running a tracker or any open site, then still no antivirus (if you run linux)if windows then yes get an antivirus but if you secure it well, nothing should get in anyway. and get a very good router off your hosts that will stop DDos attacks etc but you wont need the extra expense of this for a seedbox only.

Artemis
12-08-2007, 05:50 AM
Either Windows or Linux you don't need an antivirus product unless you intend to browse alot of sites from the remote computer (why would you ? its a great deal slower). If your seedbox server is setup correctly with a webui etc, then you don't even need to browse torrent sites from the server.
Your servers are situated in a datacenter which has its own hardware routing and firewalling implemented so there is no need for a software firewall or malware scanning.
Simply put if it is to be used as a seedbox, you do not need to protect it, if you plan to access the internet frequently with it and check mail etc, then it does need to be protected.

SaRkAsM
12-08-2007, 06:37 AM
Either Windows or Linux you don't need an antivirus product unless you intend to browse alot of sites from the remote computer (why would you ? its a great deal slower). If your seedbox server is setup correctly with a webui etc, then you don't even need to browse torrent sites from the server.
Your servers are situated in a datacenter which has its own hardware routing and firewalling implemented so there is no need for a software firewall or malware scanning.
Simply put if it is to be used as a seedbox, you do not need to protect it, if you plan to access the internet frequently with it and check mail etc, then it does need to be protected.

exactly. What i do is disable all the extra users except admin and turn off firewall. OFC set a tough pass and if yu should be good ;)

Fibre
12-10-2007, 02:18 AM
Turning off the Windows firewall isn't recommended. Just add the ports you need and block all others. If a new exploit comes along and you have every port open, you're screwed :)

fstokebanget
12-10-2007, 03:57 AM
Sorry, I think this is still related, how to turn off Windows 2003 web server ? I think leave it open on the seedbox will cause a problem someday

SaRkAsM
12-10-2007, 04:32 AM
Turning off the Windows firewall isn't recommended. Just add the ports you need and block all others. If a new exploit comes along and you have every port open, you're screwed :)

lol. well if your using you box correctly and have a nice tough pass you really have nuthin to worry bout, hell you better off havin ms fook up da server with a update then havin someone hack your server. Anyways worst comes to worst, reflash ftw.

Fibre
12-10-2007, 02:07 PM
You have plenty to worry about. Bots are constantly scanning IP ranges for boxes with vulnerabilities. If you don't have a firewall, they'll be straight in.

Just like bots trying to brute force SSH logins.

SaRkAsM
12-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Just like bots trying to brute force SSH logins.

hehe on linux box, i set one time incorrect pass = BAN, change port to sumthin wierd 9222 (example), and set auto block and ban foreva on anything that visits ports 22,21,80 to name a few.

on windows meh... it windows lol has holes everywhere

Fibre
12-10-2007, 08:49 PM
If you enter your password incorrectly (typo), you'll block yourself out?