PDA

View Full Version : Password Storer

TRshady
07-23-2003, 04:33 PM
After signing up at so many forums and sites it gets hard remembering all those bloody passwords and I try not to use the same passwords for obvious reasons.

So what I want is want is a password storer which would store all my passwords and when needed I can simply open the program and type in the site and it'll show me the password, or similar.

Also, I want the actual program to have a password to activate or open before use so other people can't use my passwords. I know passwords can be stored in windows but thats not secure and I regulary clear cookies and temps etc so it forgets them anyway.

tite-wad
07-23-2003, 04:40 PM
I keep mine in a text file.

Then I zipped the file so I could add a password.

If the number of entries is large, you can search for site names using "find next" (F3).

http://members.roadfly.com/tite-wad/thumb.gif

TRshady
07-23-2003, 04:41 PM
well, I was looking for something a bit more .... professional?, lol.
But I suppose that would do for now ... thanks. :)

I.am
07-23-2003, 07:50 PM
Hey Shady, I used to use "Account Login". You can store all password and sites there and there is a master password to open it. To open a forum or a site just right click on it(its in the taskbar) and select the site you want to go. Rest it does automatically...filling usernames and passwords etc.

Hope this helps!

Illuminati
07-23-2003, 07:54 PM
All I'll say is this :-

Immediately stop listening to anyone who recommends Gator ;)

TRshady
07-23-2003, 07:59 PM
lol, yep common sense helps I suppose.

Thanks a lot I.am, I take it 'account login' is the name of the software and it sounds just what I need, I'll go looking for it now. Thanks again.

Livy
07-23-2003, 08:00 PM
or u could maybe create an excel worksheet.

TRshady
07-23-2003, 08:13 PM
While looking for the program I.am mentioned at download.com I came across This (http://download.com.com/3000-2092-10164259.html?tag=lst-0-15), I think it's amazing and was exactly what I needed.

Thanks to all. :)

shn
07-23-2003, 08:25 PM
You dont need a program. All you need is a text file and file and folder encryption enabled in xp (ntfs file system). Put your passwords and everything on it and encrypt it. Thats all a simple password storing program does anyway is keeps all your passwords in encrypted format.

TRshady
07-23-2003, 08:27 PM
yeah, thats the obvious option but the program really does make things easier.

I.am
07-23-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by TRshady@23 July 2003 - 15:27
yeah, thats the obvious option but the program really does make things easier.
Yup Shady. The advantage using these programs is you dont have to copy and paste back from the text file or excel for that matter where you are storing. Just store your passwords once and indicate the login page. Next time just open the site and the software will fill out everything for ya and save time too ;)

MetroStars
07-23-2003, 09:27 PM
I would rather use XP's Trusty Notepad...

LTJBukem
07-23-2003, 10:33 PM
Well..... I might be shot down as being naive for saying this....

But is it really necessary to have different passwords for every site or board you visit? I use the same for all my 'memberships', apart from my web email account.

Hmm. Am i wrong for saying this?? Probably :unsure:

shn
07-24-2003, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by LTJBukem@23 July 2003 - 16:33

But is it really necessary to have different passwords for every site or board you visit? I use the same for all my 'memberships', apart from my web email account.

I agree with you on that. But as long as its just a forum or other site where you dont have pertinent information on. However, if your a moderator or an admin on the site then you should obviously do the opposite.

TRshady
07-24-2003, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by LTJBukem@23 July 2003 - 22:33

You're right to a certain extent but don't forget that most sites send you a password to use which I often forget to change so I just forget it, It's better security as a non trusted could try it out on other sites they know you belong to.

Also, if someone was to find out your password for a certain site they have access to them all ........