PDA

View Full Version : How old are you and why do you illegaly download?

cubkiller89
12-08-2007, 08:53 PM
My research paper for a class I'm taking is about illegal file sharing. So where else better to go for information than filesharingtalk.com. If you could help me, please answer this simple questions and feel free to add anymore about file sharing.

How old are you and why do you illegally download?
And why did you start file sharing.

Did you start because of high cost of albums?
More convenient to be able to sit at home and download?

Edit:

Another question I have to answer is..for the people who file share illegally is it any why isn't it any different than stealing from store? Is there any different from going to Target and stealing the album or staying at home and downloading it off a tracker? Is one of the reasons that you "steal" because it is easy to get away with?

As far as the argument that it is simply too expensive so are high end computers and my devices that you are being ridiculously over charged. I'm sure all of us here can agree alienware computers are way over priced and only milking the consumer. But yet we don't steal other items we either don't buy them or just pay the price. Why is music/movies/games/etc. any different. Think about that.

Again let me just state that I download not here to bust your balls for downloading just doing it for the paper.

kooftspc11
12-08-2007, 08:58 PM
My research paper for a class I'm taking is about illegal file sharing. So where else better to go for information than filesharingtalk.com. If you could help me, please answer this simple questions and feel free to add anymore about file sharing.

my age is in my info...i started downloading because i dont like the concept of being charged 5 dollars for a soda at a movie theater. im not some cow that they can steer into the theater and milk the shit out of me...that means that they have absolutely no respect for the customer.

i also dont like limits on how many times i can copy music or rootkits being placed on my operating system or my car/home stereo eventually breaking down because of bad cd's that the record companies put out

fOrUmAs
12-08-2007, 08:59 PM
lol what is next to tell u my name and where i live?

LoKaLiRi
12-08-2007, 09:00 PM
Good luck in ur class and this is the simple answer

i am 18 years old , i dont think it's illegally download :P as i cant Buy all , High Cost as u said

PirateEagle
12-08-2007, 09:01 PM
since 13 i started to download pirated filez

peat moss
12-08-2007, 09:02 PM
Cause I can , and would of done at any age .

DanielleD87
12-08-2007, 09:03 PM
i'm 20 right now and who ever said anything about me downloading anything illegal?

i pay for cable tv. is it a crime to download tv shows you pay for? i think not!

edit: i download tv shows because i don't like the ads (especially the ones on the bottom while the show is playing) and I like more of the video on demand style where i can watch what i want when i want. for a while i capped. there is even a plugin that will auto remove commercials for you after recording from your own cable tv stream, but at the same time it turned into a lot of work. i became lazy and realized it was easier to download the same material that i was making at home.

spark
12-08-2007, 09:05 PM
lol what is next to tell u my name and where i live?

No, What is your IQ

bikernin
12-08-2007, 09:06 PM
lol spark
im 80 and i will DOWNLOAD TILL I DIE!

YoYoY
12-08-2007, 09:08 PM
I don't care it's illegal or not I just download what I like and If you can get it for free and high quality so why you have to buy it :P

mbucari1
12-08-2007, 09:11 PM
I'm 20 and I download because I'm not rich enough to buy the things which I download. I still buy the occasional music CD and computer game, but most of the time I just want to explore and NOT be charged out the ass while I'm doing it.

cubkiller89
12-08-2007, 09:17 PM
A question I have to answer is..for the people who file share illegally is it any why isn't it any different than stealing from store? Is there any different from going to Target and stealing the album or staying at home and downloading it off a tracker? Is one of the reasons that you "steal" because it is easy to get away with?

As far as the argument that it is simply too expensive so are high end computers and my devices that you are being ridiculously over charged. I'm sure all of us here can agree alienware computers are way over priced and only milking the consumer. But yet we don't steal other items we either don't buy them or just pay the price. Why is music/movies/games/etc. any different. Think about that.

Again let me just state that I download not here to bust your balls for downloading just doing it for the paper.

spark
12-08-2007, 09:19 PM
I think you are the true God!!

V For Vendetta
12-08-2007, 09:25 PM
Cause I can , and would of done at any age .

that would be my answer too
-V

th0r
12-08-2007, 09:27 PM
I'm 20, and sometimes I can't afford to buy a DVD because I happen to be ~$75,000 in debt.

gg College.

cubkiller89
12-08-2007, 09:28 PM
I'm 20, and sometimes I can't afford to buy a DVD because I happen to be ~$75,000 in debt.

gg College.

Read what I said above. Do you think downloading is ok? Why not go and steal other things as well.

mrnobody
12-08-2007, 09:31 PM
i download legally (most of the files at least).

< what is legal and what is illegal depends differers from law to law but for most country this is how it is...>

- distributing non legit copies for profit is illegal....sharing without profit isn't.

- as long files (not .torrent file though) aren't hosted by tracker...it's legal. However, if a tracker owns seedbox...i suppose it's considered hosting...and it might be considered illegal. Yet, if a user owns seedbox it does not matter.

Actatoi
12-08-2007, 09:32 PM
A question I have to answer is..for the people who file share illegally is it any why isn't it any different than stealing from store? Is there any different from going to Target and stealing the album or staying at home and downloading it off a tracker? Is one of the reasons that you "steal" because it is easy to get away with?

Yes it is a difference, you steal from that affair as well. But yes it is stealing we are doing and greed is a part of human nature. One saying something else is just making up lame excuses for what one is doing.

I am very sure that if it were as easy to steal something else or do something else that is illegal as filesharing are, people would do that too. If it profited them.

mbucari1
12-08-2007, 09:38 PM

downloading illegally and stealing from a retail store are NOT the same thing. A retail store has purchased their CDs from the manufacturer with the expectation of reselling them for a proffit. When someone steels a CD from them, they lose the money that they invested in purchasing that CD.

Downloading is a different story. One copy was purchased initially (usually) and was then distributed an indefinite number of times. This distribution, while illegal, only hurts the manufacturer if download was a substitute for purchasing a legitimate copy. There is no tangible loss by anyone. I'll admit that I have downloaded albums which I would have purchased if I was unable to download it, but this is pretty rare. While I am still stealing music, it is not nearly as bad as lifting from a store.

cubkiller89
12-08-2007, 09:43 PM

downloading illegally and stealing from a retail store are NOT the same thing. A retail store has purchased their CDs from the manufacturer with the expectation of reselling them for a proffit. When someone steels a CD from them, they lose the money that they invested in purchasing that CD.

Downloading is a different story. One copy was purchased initially (usually) and was then distributed an indefinite number of times. This distribution, while illegal, only hurts the manufacturer if download was a substitute for purchasing a legitimate copy. There is no tangible loss by anyone. I'll admit that I have downloaded albums which I would have purchased if I was unable to download it, but this is pretty rare. While I am still stealing music, it is not nearly as bad as lifting from a store.

That's the most flawed argument the label's are still losing money. If you want to go on tangible loss we can assume that there are 1/20 albums that you download you would have bought. Just because the loss isn't direct doesn't mean there still isn't a loss. If you want to think about it that way as well than think about if there wasn't any downloading to speak off how many more albums would be purchased.

LET IT BE KNOWN: I'm pro file sharing, just playing advocate for the sake of creating discussion.

staphofpower
12-08-2007, 09:49 PM
im 10 yrs old and i LEGALLY download torrents.

Grind$oFine
12-08-2007, 09:49 PM

That's the most flawed argument the label's are still losing money. If you want to go on tangible loss we can assume that there are 1/20 albums that you download you would have bought. Just because the loss isn't direct doesn't mean there still isn't a loss. If you want to think about it that way as well than think about if there wasn't any downloading to speak off how many more albums would be purchased.

LET IT BE KNOWN: I'm pro file sharing, just playing advocate for the sake of creating discussion.

http://www.demonbaby.com/blog/2007/10/when-pigs-fly-death-of-oink-birth-of.html

That might help for your paper regarding why people download music.

mbucari1
12-08-2007, 09:50 PM
[

LET IT BE KNOWN: I'm pro file sharing, just playing advocate for the sake of creating discussion.[/quote]I agree that more albums would be purchased, but not nearly as many as are downloaded illegally. In that regard, it is the same as shoplifting but on an much smaller scale.

And for the sake of discussion, do you think that the music industry would care one bit if this pandemic of music theft WAS shoplifting? I think that they'd prefer it.

DanielleD87
12-08-2007, 10:21 PM
- distributing non legit copies for profit is illegal....sharing without profit isn't.
ding ding ding!!!!

if you can't agree with morality then side with the law and what squirrel said is true.

peat moss
12-08-2007, 10:38 PM
I think the Recording Industry misses the whole point sometimes , I still buy as gifts , movies or music cd's for family . If just sharing a copy of Heroes , I go nuts .

KravenX
12-08-2007, 10:44 PM
think of it this way: if someone offers you a candy for free and another one offers you the same candy but in a beautiful box and asking for money... what would you pick? :P

mbucari1
12-08-2007, 10:45 PM
think of it this way: if someone offers you a candy for free and another one offers you the same candy but in a beautiful box and asking for money... what would you pick? :P

does the box have lace and tassels?

arkiebrian
12-08-2007, 11:13 PM
Who says it's illegal? You better research your laws a little better...

:angel1:

Cmon
12-08-2007, 11:24 PM

Edit:

Another question I have to answer is..for the people who file share illegally is it any why isn't it any different than stealing from store? Is there any different from going to Target and stealing the album or staying at home and downloading it off a tracker? Is one of the reasons that you "steal" because it is easy to get away with?

I feel old enough
Why..? um.. because I like to share perhaps

I started because I can't find some stuff, even if I want to buy it, & maybe to use internet as effective as possible, lately maybe because it's cheaper/easier/free

Steal.. I don't know, I don't think so, I'm not really bother about "easy go get away with", it's more like sharing than stealing imo

arkiebrian
12-08-2007, 11:25 PM

Here's your answer for school...

Copyrights are outdated. They do not take into consideration modern technology. The RIAA and MPAA flipped out over VCRs when they came out in the late 70s also and then they figured out a way to make money with the new technology...by selling movies on video cassette. So here we are again, 25 years later and the industry is fretting again...this time they are largely ignoring using the technology and are trying to slay a many-headed hydra that will never die. It is not the music or movie industry's position to define what is legal and what is illegal when it comes to consumers sharing their wares.

Studies have shown that downloading music does hurt the record sales of some of the more popular artists(who I have a hard time feeling sorry for when they appear on MTV with their Lamborghinis), but that it actually helps the more obscure artists because it gets their music out there. I know this is true with software, etc. also. I work in the IT industry and people regularly ask me to recommend software to them. These are people who have nothing to do with BT and wouldn't grasp it if I began to explain how to use it. So I recommend them the software that I became familiar with and they buy it. I've sold many copies of burning software, etc. because I was able to test it out on BT.

Copyright laws as they stand today will not be able to stand up to the onslaught of BT. Copyrights are rendered useless. Now, if only these industries could figure out a way to embrace the technology...pay a flat fee for all the files you want or something like that. I know a lot of people here pay monthly fees for seedboxes. I don't think they'd mind spending a similar fee for free access to the wares they want.

File sharing is not stealing - it's an exploitation of an outdated concept.

mbucari1
12-08-2007, 11:31 PM

Here's your answer for school...

Copyrights are outdated. They do not take into consideration modern technology. The RIAA and MPAA flipped out over VCRs when they came out in the late 70s also and then they figured out a way to make money with the new technology...by selling movies on video cassette. So here we are again, 25 years later and the industry is fretting again...this time they are largely ignoring using the technology and are trying to slay a many-headed hydra that will never die. It is not the music or movie industry's position to define what is legal and what is illegal when it comes to consumers sharing their wares.

Studies have shown that downloading music does hurt the record sales of some of the more popular artists(who I have a hard time feeling sorry for when they appear on MTV with their Lamborghinis), but that it actually helps the more obscure artists because it gets their music out there. I know this is true with software, etc. also. I work in the IT industry and people regularly ask me to recommend software to them. These are people who have nothing to do with BT and wouldn't grasp it if I began to explain how to use it. So I recommend them the software that I became familiar with and they buy it. I've sold many copies of burning software, etc. because I was able to test it out on BT.

Copyright laws as they stand today will not be able to stand up to the onslaught of BT. Copyrights are rendered useless. Now, if only these industries could figure out a way to embrace the technology...pay a flat fee for all the files you want or something like that. I know a lot of people here pay monthly fees for seedboxes. I don't think they'd mind spending a similar fee for free access to the wares they want.

File sharing is not stealing - it's an exploitation of an outdated concept.You're forgetting one thing, Schools aren't concerned with what is "right", they're concerned with what is law. And infringing copyrites is illegal.

arkiebrian
12-08-2007, 11:35 PM
Your missing my point...it's not illegal...its a grey area that hasn't been defined properly yet.

Vercors
12-08-2007, 11:56 PM
I wouldn't have bought most of the things I've downloaded anyway.
And for those that I'd have bought...well, I did buy them :P (or i'm about to)

bunny67
12-08-2007, 11:58 PM
im 74yrs old and i d/l because im on a pension and cant afford to buy cds or dvds ,i cant even afford the flixs .so any donations please send to my email ty

AmpeD
12-09-2007, 12:13 AM
17 - stick it to the man!
save money and stuff like music is availible in higher quality than online stores
video's aren't chock full of drm shit too so i can do whatever I want with them

And i'd say its no different than shoplifitng, except Im not gonna get caught if I file share thousands of times but I would if I shoplifted that much.

seppypom
12-09-2007, 02:49 AM
Cool Topic for a Paper

How old are you

40+

and why do you illegally download?

Because I can. And I have for 24 years (and yes I am that old)

Because most of the BBS’s closed down & where very slow!

No, software mainly, but now because of the high cost of everything.

No, That Part is just for fun! & Screw the Man

is it any why isn't it any different than stealing from store? Is there any different from going to Target and stealing the album or staying at home and downloading it off a tracker? Is one of the reasons that you "steal" because it is easy to get away with?

Yes, because it is easier to get away with it. Unless we can get 180,000 people to all got to target at one time and start stealing albums. Then only a very small percent will get caught and the rest of us will get away with it!

Because its hard to get that alienware box under my coat. But if for some reason one was delivered to my house and no one came looking for it, I would keep that too!

I would actually be interested in reading you paper, and also knowing what grade you get!

mrnobody
12-09-2007, 03:27 AM

Because you can't download alientware computers :lol: but we can do that with music/movies/games :D

phonzie
12-09-2007, 05:48 AM
Smidge under 18 and I do it cuz I can and it's free. I tried shoplifting lol it sucks :P This is a hell of a lot easier on the nerves

P.S. My friend in english is doing the exact same thesis (almost) for his argumentative research essay for the effect of P2P sharing on the music industry. Good luck on your paper. I would like to read it too.

stoi
12-09-2007, 06:25 AM

started because things are just to expensive, and if i didnt do it with games anyway, the consoles would just be paperweights. 2 360`s flash get played all the time, 1 wii not chipped, is a paperweight, was going to buy a ps3, but pointless, i will once its modable.

and i would rather pay 25p or whatever it is for a blank DVD than £5 for a dodgy copy (that i can get better of anyway) or £15-£60 for a music/DVD/game that will get played once, probably for 5-10 hours for a game, and then never see the light of day again.

Also i semi worked it out the other year, it was by no means accurate, but in a few years of pirating, i have probably saved the best part of £100,000.

But then if i didnt pirate, i wouldnt have spent £100,000 probably about £1000 max. so they are not loosing a lot from me, but i would be loosing a lot if i didnt pirate (as i wouldnt buy most of the crud that i download, or if i did, i would feel cheated and never buy again anyway).

and i wouldnt want an alienware PC, i have quite a decent PC which cost at least 1/2 the price of an alienware and is probably about the same as one.

and no i dont steal from shops either, not because i dont want to, but i dont need to as i download all my stuff now :) j/k seriously though, downloadable content is only realy all 0`s and 1`s anyway, its not a physical thing.

also if pirating was such a NO NO, BB connections would still be dialup, consoles wouldnt be able to be hacked full stop (yes ps3 cant yet but i bet it can in the future, if it means sony loosing the console wars, i can even see them releasing an exploit on the WWW to get it modable). Blank DVDs Blue Ray etc etc wouldnt exist, recorders wouldnt exist, christ, Ipods and MP3 players, even blank old fashioned tape cassette as you could copy songs off the radio anyway.

so yeah they might say the pirating is a NO NO, but who actually makes blank media and the writers to burn the stuff with. Sony for one, so i doubt it will be that long before we see the PS3 modable.

grimms
12-09-2007, 06:42 AM
My reason is to support the real artists and also discover new artists at that. If i really like something i download, I will go out to a local retailer and purchase the music or movie. Also another big reason is due to finding rare stuff that you wouldn't find anywhere else.

TechnoMan80
12-09-2007, 07:11 AM
cubkiller89 (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/members/cubkiller89-152955) I have One question to you m8 :)

What are you doing to live :) app,ap Be honest !! :)

bikernin (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../members/bikernin-124701)
lol spark
im 80 and i will DOWNLOAD TILL I DIE!RESPECT :))))))))))))))))))

Swift
12-09-2007, 08:25 AM
hmmm 19 but in 10 days i`ll be 20 :D:whistling

illegal download is my one any only source on the internet. I don`t have the spear money to by me Original copyes of windows and programs that i use.. ( i love freeware programs )

Unstable1
12-09-2007, 09:37 AM
the fact its illegal just adds to the fun of it.

hbkwarez
12-09-2007, 09:53 AM
humm so Happy Birthday in advance for Swift....wait a min
Where is my cake??

I m 23 and i ddl it coz You just cann't go out there and buy each and every
Moviethat comes out!

I bought original DVD which was FS for commando for 13.99$ and after intro to
Torrents i downloaded a Far better Widesceen Print for Free

So are my $13.99 wasted! I would be lot happier to pay the Scene for bringing be
Good Quality for Free :)

nkhlsrf
12-09-2007, 10:19 AM
accroding to me i download simply cause i cant shed all the money from my pocket and then realise that oh that movie/game/software is so shity..lolz

Shando
12-09-2007, 11:24 AM
since 14 i started to download movies

sumsum
12-09-2007, 11:25 AM
I'm 30 and downloading is just so much easier than going over the street into a shop. lol

Cheffy
12-09-2007, 11:42 AM
My age is 28, and there are several reason for me starting to download.
For music it was the convince of just leeching and then listen. If you did not like it Shift+Del. Instead of walking to a record store and listening to 30 sec on each song then decide. I was also into some music that our local record shops did dont have, so i had to order a lot of albums from them (witch usually took around 2-4 weeks to arrive) and when they finally arrived, run to the store and get the record then come home to find out it was the utter crap..

I also download a lot of tv shows, i do that for several reasons as well. Firstly because it takes around 3 months form the episode is shown in the US before it airs in my country(and thats only if its a really popular show) some show takes years to come here. Secondly i work shifts, so im not always at home at the same time week after week. I might be working or sleeping when the show airs. And third the convinace of choosing what to watch and when to watch it. Nothing beats that.

Movies i usually watch at the theater, because nothing beats going out with some friends or taking a girl to a date and watch a grate movie. (kinda sucks if you have watched everything thats airing) That being said i do download movies as well, but for those movies its only those that i dont need to watch in a theater. Like independents or some cheesy comedy. I do not mind paying for the movies i watch, though i do not own a car and walking to the store and renting a movie then having to return it the next day is simply a hassle when i can download what ever movie i want to watch in less then 20 minutes. Another reason is that movies takes to freaking long to get released. Usually find dvdrips 4-8 months before they come to the store here, and lets face it, if you know its a grate movie that you are dieing to watch you are not going to wait 8 months to watch when you dont have to..

ibi23
12-09-2007, 11:56 AM
I'm 30 and downloading is just so much easier than going over the street into a shop. lol

Not only easier, but also cheaper :)
I download illegally since i was 16 (1st downloaded mp3 i guess), and i will do it as long i will be

John_Yossarian
12-09-2007, 11:57 AM
I'm 25 years old and I download illegally (mostly music) because I can't afford to buy all these albums that I would like to listen to. However, I still buy the albums that I like, I go to gigs and I support my favorite artists in whichever way I can. I believe that file sharing is the most effective way to spread the word about a new album and let people decide if they like it or not. Downloading allows me to try before I buy. I don't find it more convenient. In fact, I enjoy record shopping a lot but usually I don't have enough money. I started file sharing when I was 10 and traded mixtapes with my friends :) Some years later, I discovered Napster.

I really don't care if it's legal or not. I'll do it as long as I can easily get away with it because I believe that the copyright law is outdated and unfair. I also believe that most artists (musicians, directors, programmers etc) would rather let their work become known to a lot of people through file sharing than remain unknown. If people have seen your work, they might support you (in case they can afford it).

Blackbeard
12-09-2007, 12:41 PM
i started downloading when i was 18 or so, download cause it's to fucking much to buy shit now days, but i buy stuff i really like.

chillincool
12-09-2007, 02:28 PM
I download illegally because i'm bored, I don't watch 85% of it. Also, I sell a lot of DVDs and music CDs so that's why I download movies and music.

deathking81
12-09-2007, 02:55 PM
im 13 right now, started when i was 10, my brother showed me thepiratebay and BitLord. Last august I discovered demonoid, and stuck to that until this august, when i started using private trackers. I illegally download software because I want to be a web designer and have designed a few websites but my dad isnt willing to pay around two thousand dollars for all the software, and I download movies so I can get them before release / no paying / more convenient than going to the store. Music I download becuase the newbury comics close the me as sh*t, and if I download all that I get tempted to download other stuff, making a huge chain, but I mainly download movies and tv shows.

arkiebrian
12-09-2007, 03:04 PM
I download illegally because i'm bored, I don't watch 85% of it. Also, I sell a lot of DVDs and music CDs so that's why I download movies and music.

Damn dude...hope you're kidding...you've advertised yourself as a profiteer in pirated wares...

chillincool
12-09-2007, 03:20 PM

Damn dude...hope you're kidding...you've advertised yourself as a profiteer in pirated wares...

If not from torrent, I'd just rip them off from netflix or another rental place like I did before I started torrenting. Mostly I just hook up friends who pay me back with favors or more dvds.

Sylar666
12-09-2007, 07:15 PM
I'm 120 yrs old, and I download b/c I can. Actually i am immortal. And it ain't illegal, carp.

ChampJulius
12-09-2007, 11:27 PM
20, financial reasons