PDA

View Full Version : Ugh......warned for hit&run

Adman65
12-09-2007, 11:49 PM
I belong to the DVDClub, and I was in the process of seeding 4 torrents. Takes a long time for me cuz i can only do about 50k up. My PSU died 2 days ago, taking my PC with it. Now I can't seed the torrents back for a while. I don't have the money to buy a new PSU atm. I PM'd the admin to see what he had to say.

As a situation like this ever happened to anyone else? If so, how did you deal with it? I would hate for my account to get removed for multiple warns for hit&run :?

LoKaLiRi
12-09-2007, 11:59 PM
just park ur account from another computer

Profile > Account Parking > make it yes ;)

Adman65
12-10-2007, 12:00 AM
hm...will I still be able to seed from my seedbox like that?

fOrUmAs
12-10-2007, 12:02 AM
just park ur account from another computer

Profile > Account Parking > make it yes ;)

lol he is not talking how to park his acc there:)

OT well u have done good thing if u send pm to staff there and
explain your situation..im sure they will spare you until u my new hardware..

seppypom
12-10-2007, 12:17 AM
That looks the same as someone that hits & runs. Maybe the staff will help you out, maybe they won't!

Unfortunately everyday someone tell a staffer that his power supply died, that their hard drive crashed, internet was down for 3 days, someone one hacked my account, my cousin was over and downloaded a bunch of crap from my account, etc, etc, etc. After a while, it all becomes one big string of excuses. And it becomes very hard to Differentiate between a good reason and a bad excuse.

bikernin
12-10-2007, 02:08 AM
yes its hard to differentiate the genuine reasons from excuses. atm i feel the best solution would be to borrow one. if you know someone whos good at electronics, he may be able to fix your PSU. i have fixed my PSU using parts from an old one and it was a jiffy

DKre8ive1
12-10-2007, 02:24 AM
Take the PSU out of the computer you are using and use it on the pc that has the torrents on it or if its on an external drive then I suggest you just plug it in to this pc and re-download the torrent file and point it to the downloaded file and it should check and see that you already have downloaded it and it should start seeding.

But the key thing is to get on irc and talk to one of the staff and see what they can suggest or to at least let them know of your situation. :)

Roark
12-10-2007, 04:22 AM
lmao And people wonder why I dont use trackers with hit and run rules. Your PSU dies, and the first thing you start worrying about are your accounts.
You get working on either dismantling your working computer for parts, or buying an external enclosure, or waiting around for staff on IRC, and I'll http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g143/jbladex/sctlove.gif

staphofpower
12-10-2007, 04:38 AM
i hope this taught you that trackers with HNR suck ass. HNR is a right for all people.

That looks the same as someone that hits & runs. Maybe the staff will help you out, maybe they won't!

Unfortunately everyday someone tell a staffer that his power supply died, that their hard drive crashed, internet was down for 3 days, someone one hacked my account, my cousin was over and downloaded a bunch of crap from my account, etc, etc, etc. After a while, it all becomes one big string of excuses. And it becomes very hard to Differentiate between a good reason and a bad excuse.
maybe if your tracker didnt have shitty rules you wouldnt have to deal with that eh?

stoi
12-10-2007, 06:02 AM
maybe if ppl played by the rules and not just took the piss, then we wouldnt have so many lame excuses, so when someone does have a proper excuse we would be more inclined to believe them.

zedex
12-10-2007, 06:13 AM

well maybe your right but still .... this things do happen very often

DKre8ive1
12-10-2007, 06:14 AM
i hope this taught you that trackers with HNR suck ass. HNR is a right for all people.

HNR doesn't benefit anyone one on private trackers since they are smaller communities and torrents would die quickly. If you want to HNR stick to public trackers or trackers with a large user base that don't have these rules in place.

Also most trackers will give you a warning for HNR'ing and if it is your first offense and that goes away, but also since staff can look at the user history and if it shows this member always seeds to what is required then more then likely the staff will give him a break at least I would if I was the mod over looking this situation.

stoi
12-10-2007, 06:20 AM
we have 50,000 members, and torrents are still alive from last december when we opened up again.
and we have a very stringent hit and run rule in place, and it hasnt done us any harm at all.

its easy to get a good global ratio.

cheat, Seedbox on 1 game for 48 hours(300-400gig upload easy), on some sites donate a few quid.

once you have the good global ratio, on most trackers you can take what you want for weeks, if not months without giving anything back. now is that ok if you have used one of the above to get that global ratio in the first place.

no wonder most public sites and some private sites are slow and torrents die out fast, they havnt got a hit and run rule, with one torrents are faster and and they stop alive a lot longer as well.

grimms
12-10-2007, 06:56 AM
Not a dying PSU. But if you explained your situstion tot he admins and it's genuine, then you shouldn't have a problem. Never know though. Keep your fingers crossed mate.

shazzar
12-10-2007, 06:57 AM
Also most trackers will give you a warning for HNR'ing and if it is your first offense and that goes away, but also since staff can look at the user history and if it shows this member always seeds to what is required then more then likely the staff will give him a break at least I would if I was the mod over looking this situation.

You will find that this is what will happen, and your account might be restricted for a while.

So long as the mods are somewhat relaxed with there warnings i dont see anything wrong.

staphofpower
12-10-2007, 11:45 AM
did stoi just advocate cheating so you don't get banned for HNR?

stoi
12-10-2007, 12:33 PM
did stoi just advocate cheating so you don't get banned for HNR?

where the hell did you see that in my post.

if you have a hit and run rule and global ratio doesnt mean all that much, then whats the point of cheating.

but if you do cheat and get caught then you deserve everything you get.

staphofpower
12-10-2007, 12:39 PM
cheat, Seedbox on 1 game for 48 hours(300-400gig upload easy), on some sites donate a few quid.
hrmm

stoi
12-10-2007, 01:48 PM
well if you read my post, i was saying just because you do that, you must be realy naive if you dont think ppl cheat, and some even get away with it. BUT if you do cheat and you do get away with it, does that give you the right to rape the site of everything its got for the next 6 months.

same as with a SB, christ it costs $50 for a half decent seedbox, get one for 1 month, buffer all your accounts on all sites by 400 gig each at least (that can be done on one popular torrent in 48 hours btw) and then systimatically rape the site of all its torrents for months on end. then repeat 6 months later.

what gets me is, its not the tracker BW your raping (or it shouldnt be) its all the uploaders who do put time and money into releasing stuff and seeding it for everyone, so we protect our uploaders and its obviously working, 200 uploaders and we have 6700 torrents, ok for a music site thats not too good, but for a games only site i dont think its bad at all.

seppypom
12-11-2007, 05:11 AM
maybe if your tracker didnt have shitty rules you wouldnt have to deal with that eh?

Your Right, my tracker does have shitty rules. You got me. You win. Now what? You still got a H&R because thats what it looks like. By the way, just so all my sites know, Tomorrow my hard drive will crash and i wont be seeding anymore. Thanks for understanding!

All i was saying was your is just one of one hundred reasons/excuses that the staff is going to hear this week.

staff can see your history, if you where truly a good user your most likely will be excused.

Yup, but on a tracker that had 5000 users, i had someone telling me that at least once a day some days more. so at one a day any one of my users had a 13.6% chance that their hard drive crashed or power supply died. 13.6% chance, hmm, what are the odds

Roark
12-11-2007, 05:35 AM

Yup, but on a tracker that had 5000 users, i had someone telling me that at least once a day some days more. so at one a day any one of my users had a 13.6% chance that their hard drive crashed or power supply died. 13.6% chance, hmm, what are the odds

Studies have shown hard drives fail at a rate of about 4%/year. Assuming your 5000 users are a representative sample, this means you should get about 200 complaints per year just from hard drive crashes. Considering the fact that your 5000 users are more tech savvy then most and as a result ironically suffer more downtime than most, the odds are not that low.

In any case, this is all fairly besides the point anyway, some trackers are strong enough to just be able to enforce ratio rules, others must resort to this petty crap.