PDA

View Full Version : Crt Or Tft

DarthInsinuate
07-23-2003, 10:51 PM
my brother is building a new computer (on a £600 budget) and is looking for monitors

TFT monitors are nice because they are the fraction the size of CRT - this is convenient in his situation because he needs to move the computer from home and uni occasionally, he also has a pretty small desk

but from what i've read there's this crappy fixed resolution thing

so - do all the little problems that come with a TFT outweight the benefits (small size, low power usage)

Livy
07-23-2003, 10:53 PM
it all depends on the spec of the pc he's looking at.
beacuse the difference between the 2 types of monitor is about £100.

DarthInsinuate
07-23-2003, 11:12 PM
he's willing to increase the budget to make room for a TFT - if its worth it

lynx
07-23-2003, 11:18 PM
If the default res of the TFT monitor is the res he wants, then go for the TFT.

You can set them for different res, but it often looks a bit fuzzy.

harrycary
07-24-2003, 01:59 AM
LCD monitors are known to have blurring images when playing high-action video games and watching videos. This in inherent in how TFT(thin film transistor) panels work. They just cannot react as fast as a CRT(cathode ray tube) monitor.

That, and their shorter life expectancy are the main reasons to invest in a nice 17" or 19" CRT monitor.

p.s Viewing a CRT monitor in person is a must-do. Bring a movie or game to test with it.

Share on...

bigdawgfoxx
07-24-2003, 05:43 AM
I Heard that flat pannels have a bigger life span...but who knows...and everyone ive seen its always had perfect picture at 1248X768...or w/e...i like them..but ive never played exstreme games on them

adamp2p
07-24-2003, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by harrycary@24 July 2003 - 02:59
LCD monitors are known to have blurring images when playing high-action video games and watching videos. This in inherent in how TFT(thin film transistor) panels work. They just cannot react as fast as a CRT(cathode ray tube) monitor.

That, and their shorter life expectancy are the main reasons to invest in a nice 17" or 19" CRT monitor.

p.s Viewing a CRT monitor in person is a must-do. Bring a movie or game to test with it.

Share on...
Harry is right. But what it really comes down to is image quality and what you pay for it.

An excellent LCD will cost you 3-5 times what a comparable CRT will. For example, my 21 inch Sony FD Trinitron cost less than $500 including shipping.

An excellent 20 inch LCD monitor costs: $1,499.95.

I am not sure what tft is, and if you are trying to save money and get a decent system, to to Dell. 600 pounds is about $800, right, maybe $750, you could get a nice Dell for that.

DarthInsinuate
07-24-2003, 10:28 AM
thanks guys, for clearing up a few things - i think i'll tell my brother to save the extra money and get a nice big fat CRT