PDA

View Full Version : How to avoid disk overloaded in seedbox

fstokebanget
12-11-2007, 05:42 PM
I'm using utorrent with win 2003 in hosting-ie Raptor VPS, and often I see disk overloaded in utorrent. How can I avoid this. I found on google that I have to change the option diskio.write_queue_size, but I cannot find that parameter in utorrent advance option. Then how can I avoid disk overloaded in utorrent. I know this is because I'm using Win 2003, it eats the resource a lot. But I'm new in using seedbox, must learn a little bit longer b4 decide to use Linux

thanks

Squizzle
12-11-2007, 05:53 PM
The disk overloaded thing usually settles down after a few minutes of adding a new torrent.

fstokebanget
12-11-2007, 06:06 PM
so it's normal ?
because I never use utorrent and windows b4 :P
b4 using seedbox I'm using azureus on mac

wonder why the connection speed is so unstable, is it because I'm using VPS and not a dedibox on hosting-ie ?

jesper12345
12-11-2007, 06:07 PM
I have the same problem when downloading @ high speeds :/

STEViEAR
12-11-2007, 06:26 PM
Try these settings this what i use
http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/482/tttpv2.jpg

fstokebanget
12-11-2007, 06:29 PM
thanks STEViEAR, I'll try your settings, but my VPS only has 512MB, could I still set to override automatic cache size manually to 512MB ?

Squizzle
12-11-2007, 06:31 PM
Yeah you're never going to get the same consistancy with a VPS as you are with a dedicated machine to be honest, I've never used a VPS and probably never will.

I've always used linux on seedboxes also, usually CentOS with GNOME vncserver installed, never had problems.

If I'm not leeching anything then I can easily seed at 11MB/s, though leeching while seeding can put pressure on the hard drive.

STEViEAR
12-11-2007, 06:37 PM
If I'm not leeching anything then I can easily seed at 11MB/s, though leeching while seeding can put pressure on the hard drive.

Yeah same here. HDD cant keep up with the download speed thats why the disk overload. Only way to really stop is to upgrade your HDD to a faster one. Which is what i will be doing end of this month

jr56
12-11-2007, 06:50 PM
Only way to really stop is to upgrade your HDD to a faster one

You can always cap your download speed too :D

fstokebanget
12-11-2007, 06:51 PM
STEViEAR, are you using VPS also or a dedicated one ?

koolyt
12-11-2007, 07:02 PM
Yeah same here. HDD cant keep up with the download speed thats why the disk overload. Only way to really stop is to upgrade your HDD to a faster one. Which is what i will be doing end of this month

i doubt that will make a big impact. splitting your storage into multiple drives (so there are more heads to read and write) will probably have more effect.

either way, i have eliminated disk overload by disabling both write and read caches in the advanced options. in theory this should impact your speeds but i have not seen any effect. nice thing is u don't have to deal with the 2kb/s that you get when the disk goes into overload.

STEViEAR
12-11-2007, 07:15 PM
STEViEAR, are you using VPS also or a dedicated one ?
Im using dedicated
And koolyt, i tried that also. I never see diskoverload but when got over 8MB/s computer was freezing up on me all the time

SaRkAsM
12-11-2007, 09:30 PM
I'm using utorrent with win 2003 in hosting-ie Raptor VPS, and often I see disk overloaded in utorrent. How can I avoid this. I found on google that I have to change the option diskio.write_queue_size, but I cannot find that parameter in utorrent advance option. Then how can I avoid disk overloaded in utorrent. I know this is because I'm using Win 2003, it eats the resource a lot. But I'm new in using seedbox, must learn a little bit longer b4 decide to use Linux

thanks

the reason why you get diskoverloaded is because you are writing to the disk faster than it can handle and have used up your memory. For example my hdd on my seedboxx would freak out utorrent if i passed 45 mb/s. So remedy ? limit to 15 mb/s which is more than enuff.

TBH i hate utorrent on a really fast line, it blows. Constantly having to tweak me download speed to keep it running and it still crashes when da memory is used.

According to the top UT staff, the following setting should help :

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/1986/uted4.jpg

I guess key part here is cache size which is according to your system.

fstokebanget
12-12-2007, 05:03 AM
thanks, I'll try it

weenden
12-12-2007, 09:41 AM
what i do is limit the band width on the hot torrent till it gets going a bit then togle it back up till i dont see the the error also delete any old torrents that are on the box thats taking up space

Fibre
12-12-2007, 12:19 PM
If changing the cache size doesn't work, cap your download rate.

Lazariny
12-12-2007, 02:29 PM
i limited my download speed to max 4.5-5mb/s and i don t get anymore disk overload 100% :D

NYGiants
12-12-2007, 02:51 PM
i limited my download speed to max 4.5-5mb/s and i don t get anymore disk overload 100% :D
i do the same and it works:) download at 5mb/s and upload at 11mb/s:D

fstokebanget
12-12-2007, 06:07 PM
SaRkAsM, I just followed your setting, it works, but I forgot to cap the download at around 5MB/s, so when it reaches 8MB, the uTorrent suddenly closed itself. I started it again, but after I logout from RDC, I cannot connect anymore to my server :(

SaRkAsM
12-12-2007, 08:27 PM
SaRkAsM, I just followed your setting, it works, but I forgot to cap the download at around 5MB/s, so when it reaches 8MB, the uTorrent suddenly closed itself. I started it again, but after I logout from RDC, I cannot connect anymore to my server :(

have you tried rebooting server ? changing setting to uT won't mess with you being able to login server ;)

fstokebanget
12-13-2007, 05:27 AM
I checked, and seems like uTorrent crashed and causing a problem to overall system, so I have to reboot the server, when I use SaRkAsM settings (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/p-how-avoid-disk-overloaded-seedbox-post2491626/postcount13) it will caused uTorrent crash over and over when the download reaches 4.5-5MB, but when I use STEViEAR settings (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/p-how-avoid-disk-overloaded-seedbox-post2491251/postcount5) it works fine

jam0980tr
12-13-2007, 03:17 PM

thanks

the reason why you get diskoverloaded is because you are writing to the disk faster than it can handle and have used up your memory. For example my hdd on my seedboxx would freak out utorrent if i passed 45 mb/s. So remedy ? limit to 15 mb/s which is more than enuff.

TBH i hate utorrent on a really fast line, it blows. Constantly having to tweak me download speed to keep it running and it still crashes when da memory is used.

According to the top UT staff, the following setting should help :

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/1986/uted4.jpg

I guess key part here is cache size which is according to your system.

SaRkAsM settings i just hit 66mb/sec that works fine for me am gonna keep them settings and see how things go 1 thing i think these setting are top nuch servers
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/2363/utorrentspeedpx1.png

Fibre
12-13-2007, 03:39 PM
fstokebanget (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../../members/fstokebanget-168464): Maybe you have bad RAM.

fstokebanget
12-13-2007, 05:37 PM
hey jam0980tr, what a nice speed, on what hosting r u in ?
Yea, the uTorrent closed over and over when I use the settings, if that really because the server have a bad RAM, how do say to my hosting to change the RAM, they don't just believe if I say that uTorrent closed over and over don't they ?
Btw, my RAM is only 512MB, do you think it's also not because I have a small RAM ?

jam0980tr
12-13-2007, 06:21 PM
top nuch server frm
giga server nl
I got 4 gigs of ram on mine and i had it set on 1024 ram
thats what i got 66MB/SEC mark
if i up it 2gigs i think i can maxs it out giga server nl :P

SaRkAsM
12-14-2007, 08:39 AM
top nuch server frm
giga server nl
I got 4 gigs of ram on mine and i had it set on 1024 ram
thats what i got 66MB/SEC mark
if i up it 2gigs i think i can maxs it out giga server nl :P

NICE :)

fstokebanget how much ram you have ? Im sorry if i missed it...

iam1337
12-15-2007, 07:10 PM
I have a vectoral server, these are my stats...what settings would you recommend?

Windows Server 2003 w/ UTorrent
Intel® Pentium™ IV 2.4 GHZ
1024MB DDR-RAM
250GB 7.2K RPM IDE-HDD

I used your settings with the 1024 MB and some of the options checked off, that doesn't seem to be working though.

fstokebanget
12-16-2007, 03:29 AM
how about the earlier settings, have you tried not to checked off and just sets the value with 1024MB ?

darkseekers
12-16-2007, 05:34 AM
do you guys have any idea why my Read Disk Statistics always full .??
izzit reason that i'm facing slow upload when d/n in high speed and large files...

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/2486/diskstatisticszf0.png (http://imageshack.us)

fstokebanget
12-16-2007, 09:16 PM
yeah, I also experience slow up speed when downloading in full speed, is this normal for a VPS ?

Fibre
12-17-2007, 12:55 PM
Imagine if 6 people share a VPS & are all writing/reading from the disk at once. Don't expect the earth :)

Stranger99
12-17-2007, 01:58 PM
ty for the info ;)

fstokebanget
12-20-2007, 08:48 AM
I just found out, seems like the disk overloaded in utorrent is somekind of safety protocol to prevent the program from being crashed. I noticed that if the speed start to increased to a certain number then at one point the disk became overloaded and the speed just drop a little bit. But before this I tried to overwrite the buffer with 512 or 1024 and it has caused utorrent just shutdown itself.
I tried & tried so many disk cache option, and finally found this good settings for my VPS with 512MB RAM and Win 2003 Server. With this settings I could download at 5MB/s without cause any problem

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1139/picture5iy8.png

PirateEagle
12-24-2007, 07:20 PM
well i have this same problem also have same seedbox from Hosting IE VPS and now i have facing that problem i tryed thiese settings as you guys said but it is same :( could someone plz help me :(

fstokebanget
12-24-2007, 07:28 PM
have you also cap your download speed ?

PirateEagle
12-24-2007, 08:32 PM
have you also cap your download speed ?
yes i do when i set to unlimited download speed all my upload speed went slow 10KB/s :S and that b4 never happend i could leech and seed at 6MB/s at the same time but now if download speed goes more than 1-2MB/s it getting upload speed slow and then got that disk overload and then it get all slow :pinch:
so basicly i could leech in 500KB/s to limit in that speed then i could seed normally (3MB/s) but b4 it never happeded to me b4

that hosting IE starting to be :wacko:

fstokebanget
12-24-2007, 08:43 PM
Upgrade to a dedicated then :) jk....
VPS is shared either by 5 or by 3 depend on the service you purchased. Because it's shared with another VPS, maybe at the time you reached 6MB/s up & down at the same time, other users that shared in the same nod didn't use the traffice too much. But now they use it a lot, that's why your down & up are so slow.
I'm on VPS that shared by 5, at sometime my upload could go down to 100KB/s, but some other time it could reach until 3MB/s

PirateEagle
12-24-2007, 08:49 PM
ok then i uderstand is there any way so i can fix that disk overload that is only annoying thing in the uTorrent should i switch to other client or something..

fstokebanget
12-28-2007, 08:31 PM
you can fix that, but basiclly it's a trial & error, you must try various number of possibility before find the correct setting for your system
I plan to move to rtorrent, I suggest you use that in your seedbox like others

fish-strike
12-28-2007, 09:12 PM
its because you have windows, windows sucks :dabs:
why did you get windows when your a mac user?!?!?!? you should of gone with linux, its soo much better.

fstokebanget
12-28-2007, 09:35 PM
yes, I plan to move to linux with rtorrent, the reason why I use windows right now because I never have experience with seedbox, so when I first rent my vps I just thought to use Windows, but now I'm ready to move to linux

actually I don't really like Windows, but I don't think it sucks :) each operating system has their market and their uniques, so we cannot blame some certain OS

jr56
12-29-2007, 03:50 AM
I plan to move to linux

Good idea, it's lighter on system resources and is free.

On the other hand it's hard when you are not experienced :(

Fibre
12-29-2007, 03:53 AM
Debian & rTorrent = Heaven :yup:

fstokebanget
12-29-2007, 04:52 AM
how's Debian compared to CentOS or Ubuntu ?

gollum
01-20-2008, 05:08 AM
Been reading through these and have gotten rid of my disk overload problem. My problem is that I cannot get any upload speed while I am downloading. I am using a Vectoral server. Can anyone help me out here? I am downloading with plenty of peers and getting 1.1MB/s down and 1.0KB/s up. Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Thank you in advance.

LordS
01-20-2008, 08:44 AM
Write out untouched blocks every 2 minutes will control whether µTorrent flushes the chunks from incomplete pieces to disk if the piece has been inactive for 2 minutes. Turn this off if using very large cache values or experiencing disk overload during your download (NOT if you just added the torrent, that is normal!).
Write out finished pieces immediately will control whether µTorrent writes finished pieces immediately. If turned off, it will write them after a maximum of 15 seconds. Turn this off if using very large cache values or experiencing disk overload during your download (NOT if you just added the torrent, that is normal!).
Seems if you got 1GB ram, set your cache to 512-768MB ram and turn those off.

monk3y
01-20-2008, 09:27 AM
thanks for all the info guys, and for fstokebanget i suggest you really move to linux+rtorrent a lot better.

fstokebanget
01-20-2008, 10:02 AM
thanks for all the info guys, and for fstokebanget i suggest you really move to linux+rtorrent a lot better.

thanks for the advice pal, I moved to rtorrent now and now I'm really happy with the speed :D

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/6684/myspeedho8.jpg

but only 1 problem left in rTorrent, why I cannot see the number of leechers or the seeders in the swarm of a torrent ? It always displays as 0, could you help me ?

arvin2212
11-17-2008, 04:00 AM

i doubt that will make a big impact. splitting your storage into multiple drives (so there are more heads to read and write) will probably have more effect.

either way, i have eliminated disk overload by disabling both write and read caches in the advanced options. in theory this should impact your speeds but i have not seen any effect. nice thing is u don't have to deal with the 2kb/s that you get when the disk goes into overload.

This helped me alot.. I run multiple utorrents on my box , and each time, after a few hours, although speeds are limited to around 800kb/s each, i still get the disk overload issue. After reading what koolyt said, i decided to partition my disk and now, no more disk overload issue. Thank you so much mate :D

silvertec
11-17-2008, 10:25 PM
windows and utorrent
Increase your buffer size depends how much you can go by the size of ram
Limit the download speed

That's a about it,unless you make some changes to the registry.