PDA

View Full Version : Does Sharing Corrupt Files?

Ron
07-24-2003, 04:19 AM
I've been thinking about something.
I've been downloading a lot of movies lately, and most of them have errors in them.
Now I don't know if they were in the original file, or they occured as a result of corruption while downloading.
But supposing they are a result from d/l, won't everybody that gets the erroneous part from me have the same corruption?
And if they have some corruption in other parts, won't a file get more and more corrupted the more it is shared?

Tinny0001
07-24-2003, 04:29 AM
If you have currupted file (either u downloaded currupted one or it heppend during dl) ppl dl same file of you might end up with currupted file. i don't know much abt it but now and then i end up with one of those. best thing to do is to get rid of them rather then sharring it. :lol:

Ron
07-24-2003, 04:33 AM
Well, then I wouldn't be sharing much.
Like I said, most files I get have some errors in them.
Most of them are just minor ones, so you can still see the movie.

GrimRipper
07-24-2003, 06:28 PM
:angry: I git so many corrupt and files with virus's in them it is bad at least my checker gets rid of the virus. If you have a bad file get rid of it do not spread it. :swear:

Switeck
07-25-2003, 01:34 AM
Sharing at UNLIMITED upload bandwidth in Kazaa (or KL++) increases the odds immensely of packet loss and data corruptions -- which can cause errors in both your uploads AND downloads.

It's better and faster to lower the upload bandwidth to match the speed of your connection and in fact a little below max for bursts.

DasScoot
07-25-2003, 07:57 AM
I find that sometimes when I use AVI Preview to check on a movie download, whenever I watch that movie later on it gets frozen at the point where I used Preview. Annoying as hell.

3RA1N1AC
07-25-2003, 10:57 AM
kazaa corrupts files because it doesn't verify the integrity of the segments.

other programs like emule and bittorrent (and probably IRC and soulseek) reject corrupted file segments and re-download correct ones. so you're much less likely to get a corrupt file from those networks than from kazaa.

it's just laziness on the part of kazaa's programmers.

DrSpud
07-25-2003, 01:23 PM
Yeah, not having any corruption detection is a rather major flaw. As for both of your questions, it's a definite 'yes'. However, if the corruption wasn't in the original file, there is something you can do to to fix it. You can redownload the corrupted parts using KCF (http://www.geocities.com/drspud11/). If everyone used it, then there wouldn't be the possibility that a file would get more and more corrupted as it is shared.