PDA

View Full Version : If I No Longer Want A Torrent I am Downloading...

Herrick
12-13-2007, 04:28 AM
...Is there any way to stop the download and just upload it? I'm using my first private tracker and I'm trying to download something that is 1.36 gigs with 6 seeds. I am the only leecher and my download speed is pathetically slow. I don't want to waste 23 hours on this. Can I stop the download and just upload what I've taken? I am using uTorrent.

fOrUmAs
12-13-2007, 04:30 AM
yes u can stop it since u havent download full torrent u can stop..and also u dont need to seedback what u have downloaded because that is only when u download full torrent

Herrick
12-13-2007, 04:32 AM
All right, mang. Thanks a lot for the help! Herrick is going to unphuck this torrent.

DanielleD87
12-13-2007, 05:35 AM
i wouldn't stop it but i would seed it. go into the options of that torrent and set all of the files to do not download and you will seed only what you have downloaded. not all bt clients support this but the main ones like azureus, utorrent, rtorrent, and so support it.

apunpktun
12-13-2007, 12:00 PM
i wouldn't stop it but i would seed it. go into the options of that torrent and set all of the files to do not download and you will seed only what you have downloaded. not all bt clients support this but the main ones like azureus, utorrent, rtorrent, and so support it.

Another option could be to set downlaod speed for that particular torrent to 0.1kB..... this way u wont b downloading anything significant and could still seed what you have downloaded....

grimms
12-13-2007, 02:21 PM
Yes set download speed to 0.1kb and it will just seed away without downloading much more additional data.

carpediemm
12-13-2007, 03:41 PM
Yes, double click on the torrent and set something low, then you will just seed

fisherman
12-13-2007, 04:41 PM
I don't agree with setting the Download speed to something like .5kbs ect... as it can still affect the upload speed.

Herrick the best way to build up some sort of a buffer when you join any tracker is to "partial seed".

Do as I say here by grabbing smaller parts of files and when u build up a bit higher ratio, then grab bigger files and before you know it you'll have a nice gb buffer and then you can download full big files with no worries.

Ok so log into your site and try find a really new release pref 4gb or over in size.

Download as usual but when you get to say 200MB look down on your uTorrent interface and you'll see 3 tabs which are "GENERAL", "FILE","LOGGER"

So you click on the "FILE" tab and you'll see lots of different .rar files.....so highlight 1 .rar file then on your keyboard hold down he Ctrl key and then click the A key on your keyboard at the same time...

That will highlight ALL the .rar pieces, so now right click on any .rar piece and in the list that appears click on "don't download".

Now uTorrent will close off the torrent fully even though you only downloaded 200MB of a 4gb file and you will seed back at 100% speed.

Hope this help :)

kirktrix
12-13-2007, 04:52 PM
I don't agree with setting the Download speed to something like .5kbs ect... as it can still affect the upload speed.

Herrick the best way to build up some sort of a buffer when you join any tracker is to "partial seed".

Do as I say here by grabbing smaller parts of files and when u build up a bit higher ratio, then grab bigger files and before you know it you'll have a nice gb buffer and then you can download full big files with no worries.

Ok so log into your site and try find a really new release pref 4gb or over in size.

Download as usual but when you get to say 200MB look down on your uTorrent interface and you'll see 3 tabs which are "GENERAL", "FILE","LOGGER"

So you click on the "FILE" tab and you'll see lots of different .rar files.....so highlight 1 .rar file then on your keyboard hold down he Ctrl key and then click the A key on your keyboard at the same time...

That will highlight ALL the .rar pieces, so now right click on any .rar piece and in the list that appears click on "don't download".

Now uTorrent will close off the torrent fully even though you only downloaded 200MB of a 4gb file and you will seed back at 100% speed.

Hope this help :)

This is the best way you can do....I used this several times....:)

DannyGnXz
12-13-2007, 05:24 PM
Fisherman, thanks for the heads up... I have been doing things the way Danielle87 and the others describe but your method is definitely better

jr56
12-14-2007, 01:08 AM
yand also u dont need to seedback what u have downloaded because that is only when u download full torrent

Are you sure about this?

I'll give you an example.

I usually don't download the sample for movies so my download finishes around 99%.

That means i haven't downloaded the full torrent of course.

Are you saying it's ok not to seed back in this case since the torrent is only at 99%?

Emma1979
12-14-2007, 02:41 AM
If i download from a site then decide to stop it, the best way to stop it is to change the files to 'do not download', then u can still upload what u downloaded to get a ratio of 1 then delete. That way you are still helping out other members to the site. On some sites it also adds to overall ratio

jasperr
12-14-2007, 05:28 AM
heh.. i never knew this info... sounds good, thanks