PDA

View Full Version : Cpu Temp

ikex
12-13-2007, 09:04 PM
Heya, i just got a new mobo\cpu (Celeron 335 @ 2.80ghz) at first it kept rebooting when i got to the winxp bootscreen i finally got it working after disabling the auto shutdown at certain temps.

i just wanted to see if anyone knows what temp my cpu should be at (atm its 76c) it tends to go from 70c-85c~ and google was saying 50-60c~ which is kinda scary haha.

clocker
12-13-2007, 09:44 PM
You do have thermal paste on the CPU and the heatsink is properly attached, right?

rivendail
12-13-2007, 09:50 PM
seems a little hot

ikex
12-13-2007, 09:55 PM
im pretty sure i do, like i haven't touched the mobo\cpu since ive got it (idk how to really tell) its at 76 atm. the cpu fan keeps having bursts of speed then going slow again.

im thinking about trying to underclock it until i buy some thermal paste and a better fan
but i got no idea how to go about this

clocker
12-13-2007, 10:10 PM
im pretty sure i do, like i haven't touched the mobo\cpu since ive got it (idk how to really tell) its at 76 atm. the cpu fan keeps having bursts of speed then going slow again.

im thinking about trying to underclock it until i buy some thermal paste and a better fan
but i got no idea how to go about this
Did the CPU come with a new heatsink or did you reuse the one you had?

ikex
12-13-2007, 10:17 PM
i grabbed the mobo with the cpu still on it out of another pc so it's all stock

clocker
12-13-2007, 10:25 PM
Ah.
I'd either:

-Plug the CPU fan direct to the power supply (so it runs full speed all the time), or

-Enter BIOS and turn off any fan throttling/fan speed regulators.

One assumes (against all prior experience) that you've verified that the fan isn't stuffed full of dust and still works properly.

lynx
12-13-2007, 10:28 PM
Your temps are way too high for a new mobo/cpu combination. I strongly suggest you re-enable auto shutdown until you've sorted it out.

The fan performing bursts of speed makes me think that speed control is where the problem lies, otherwise I would have expected the fan to speed up before it reaches the higher temperatures even if you didn't have the thermal paste/pad or heatsink fitted correctly.

First check you've got the fan connected correctly.

Second, check if there's an option in the bios to set temps for minimum and maximum fan speeds. If there is, set these to default if possible. If there's no default I'd suggest trying 25C for minimum speed and 45C for maximum speed.

You may get better help if you tell us what mobo you've got.

Edit: that will teach me to get interrupted in the middle of posting and not check back. :frusty:
Sod it, I'm going for a drink.

ikex
12-13-2007, 10:37 PM
the fan is running fine (or was in the old pc *i think*) i can't re-enable autoshutdown (because it hits 70 pretty much instantly and thats the highest value i can use).

unfortunatly the bios\mobo is branded and theres no option to change the fan speeds from that (or slow the cpu down >_<)

this is pretty much all the information i could get

CPU Type Intel Celeron D 335, 2800 MHz (21 x 133)
CPU Alias Prescott-256
Original Clock 2800 MHz
Min / Max CPU Multiplier 14x / 21x
Platform ID 0Fh (Socket 478)

Motherboard ID 02/26/2005-SiS-651C-6A7IAFK9C-00
Motherboard Name Unknown
Bus Type Intel NetBurst

BIOS Type Award
Award BIOS Type Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Award BIOS Message (R01B4S2) EVALUATION ROM - NOT FOR SALE
System BIOS Date 02/26/05
Video BIOS Date 04/08/11
i might try connecting the fan directly to the psu, i'd preffer to just underclock the cpu
but its all so ugh!.

so far i haven't had any problems (except for the fan going crazy) and its hit up to 81 (and nothing froze, i didn't notice any lag)

Ohh i just found this

Manufacturer:Acer Motherboard:Aspire SA10

clocker
12-13-2007, 11:26 PM
Precotts were nicknamed "Presshots" for good reason.

Downclocking the CPU seems a fairly drastic solution- fresh paste and an upgraded heatsink would probably rein in the problem but then again, you'd be expending effort and money on a really old setup.

You should try snagging parts from newer PCs.

zapjb
12-13-2007, 11:29 PM
Time to disassemble & look. Else gonna fry that CPU.

kaiweiler
12-13-2007, 11:49 PM
I'm guessing that during the transfer between cases, you probably knocked the heatsink out of position and there is not optimal contact between the two surfaces. Some thermal paste maybe be all you need, just remount the heatsink and see if that fixes the problem.
Since the CPU is running at stock speeds, the stock heatsink should be adequate.
My guess is improper contact.

ikex
12-14-2007, 03:20 AM
okk i just bought thermal paste, god its a bitch to put on.
atm its stable at 54c thanks heaps guys ^___^

clocker
12-14-2007, 11:58 AM
okk i just bought thermal paste, god its a bitch to put on.
atm its stable at 54c thanks heaps guys ^___^
What is so difficult about applying the paste?

ikex
12-14-2007, 07:09 PM
it was a bitch to get out, like it was in a syringe and i had to push it out my hand was like shaking, and im not a scrawny kind a person haha.
then spreading it over the cpu it didnt seem to want to spread evenly so i spent 20 minutes trying to make it perfect haha.

its so much quieter now i love it, its 50c~ idle and 62c max under stress

now to install osx86 on it ^____^

kaiweiler
12-15-2007, 04:21 AM
It works best if you use a credit card or something of similar characteristics to smooth the paste over the chip evenly.
Your temps may even drop a few more degrees after the paste settles in. Although they still do seem higher then my liking...

ikex
12-15-2007, 05:54 AM
its around 58~ now under general use, apparently (so im told) its quite normal for a prescott. i used a little card that came with the paste(the paste was just way thick and not sticking to the cpu) i think it might also be my room having the tv, xbox, laptop, and desktop on all the time it tends to get way hot here, especially with the stupid weather were having in aus >_<.

my current problem is windows keeps popping up with "SM Bus Controller" found but i can't find drivers anywhere (i tried SiS, Acer) i just seem to be going around in loops.

clocker
12-15-2007, 12:36 PM
SM bus drivers are part of the chipset driver pack.

ikex
12-15-2007, 09:08 PM
which is proving to be one bitch to get a hold of, i just gave up on trying to get them.
acer has really shit driver support
and sis sends me all over the world for nothing haha.

cpu just hit 71c :| i have the fans running @ 100% all the time (i was putting a fair bit of stress on it tho)

grimms
12-18-2007, 11:43 AM
you never want your temp to be highter then 50 c ever! YOu could depending on the computer and cooling system you have but as long as you have a proper cooling system, good room temperture, and proper heat sinking with thermal glue you should be ok.

kaiweiler
12-18-2007, 11:46 AM
you never want your temp to be highter then 50 c ever!

50C is perfectly healthy for a lot of processors. Depends what cpu you have.
For a prescott 50C would be fine.

clocker
12-18-2007, 03:58 PM
you never want your temp to be highter then 50 c ever!

50C is perfectly healthy for a lot of processors. Depends what cpu you have.
For a prescott 50C would be fine.
Looking at some old forum posts (like 2005!), mid 40 to mid 50 seems about normal for a Celey with stock cooling.
Stressed, they seem to go into the 60's pretty regularly.

Personally, I don't think it's worth agonizing over...it's an old, used setup and when it dies, just move on.