PDA

View Full Version : irc competitions

Polarbear
12-14-2007, 09:58 AM
i see a lot of sites having irc fill up competitions.

get 50, 500 or 1.000 people in the irc and get freeleech or whatever.

i don't know irc, so what's the benefit for the sites if their irc channels are crowded?

masterbat
12-14-2007, 10:55 AM
more people get to know each other resulting in a more active community ??

angryghost
12-14-2007, 11:00 AM
haha but most of the people who are actually there just idle, so its pointless just more people doing nothing in a chat channel

RainRoofer
12-14-2007, 11:05 AM
For now I see only revtt is doing it, who's else ?

masterbat
12-14-2007, 11:06 AM
haha but most of the people who are actually there just idle, so its pointless just more people doing nothing in a chat channel

exactly :yup:

For now I see only revtt is doing it, who's else ?

scc

Daniel
12-14-2007, 11:07 AM
I believe that communities formed in IRC channels can be a good thing to strengthen each site, but those competitions don't help in any way (pretty much the same is true with idle bonus systems). There are better ways to lure members into the chat and actually read what's going on there.

I do however think it's better to have free leech based on things like this than having three to four weeks of unconditioned FL. If nothing else it at least shows how active and interested a community is in participating: if one doesn't download regularly from a tracker he's probably not willing to spend all his time in some IRC channel.

pbjabba
12-14-2007, 11:08 AM
I don't really see the benefit of having 1000+ users idling either. Surely its just loading up the servers for no reason, which isn't really an advantage for a site. But hey, if they wanna give out free gigs for it i'm not complaining ;)

kyrcer
12-14-2007, 12:00 PM
If you have your computer 24/7 this not problem for you. :)

DannyGnXz
12-14-2007, 03:51 PM
Sure some sites are offering an incentive to go to the irc, but its more about building a community. If you look at the majority of the most sought after sites, they have strong active communities. Other trackers take note of this and want to emulate the same. example: People (like myself) want to be part of F*C because of its strong community.

BUT the downside of something like this is peeps not partcipating... JUST IDLING, which is good if you are going for a guiness record for amount of people in chat room but bad if you want people to engage in conversations.

It's about pride... Come and see whats here, who knows you might like it, make a few new acquaintances and come back.

H3llR1s3r
12-14-2007, 04:30 PM
well , i only saw this on revtt and i can assure you that the people there are not idle ;)

DKre8ive1
12-14-2007, 07:05 PM
Most sites I have ever been invited too when I started torrents was because of being on IRC and someone liked my attitude or something else and they offered me an invite.

Plus its always nice to get to chat with people in real time instead of playing forum post tag on the site. :)

DKedit: Doh! since I followed a link I didn't see the title well I am not sure since we have never had those to be honest.

DannyGnXz
12-14-2007, 07:08 PM
Most sites I have ever been invited too when I started torrents was because of being on IRC and someone liked my attitude or something else and they offered me an invite.

Plus its always nice to get to chat with people in real time instead of playing forum post tag on the site. :)

Very very true... I believe chatting on the irc is a better way to become acquainted with others. And some of the side effects would be invites.