PDA

View Full Version : Why do sites encourage you to be in irc

BudgieSmuggler
12-14-2007, 03:41 PM
So many sites want you to join them in their irc - so much so they offer you upload credit etc.

what for? Why, apart form creating a community, does it matter to them how many ppl are in their irc ch?

Actatoi
12-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Polarbear started a similiar thread just this morning http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-43/t-irc-competitions-259315.

DannyGnXz
12-14-2007, 03:48 PM
Sure some sites are offering an incentive to go to the irc, but its more about building a community. If you look at the majority of the most sought after sites, they have strong active communities. Other trackers take note of this and want to emulate the same. example: People (like myself) want to be part of F*C because of its strong community.

It's about pride... Come and see whats here, who knows you might like it, make a few new acquaintances and come back.

wrongun92
12-14-2007, 04:30 PM
yep, very well put Danny, thats the main reason I can see for going on irc. i.e to create a community.

You probably dont want to go to a tracker that has no feedback or forums or irc. The human touch might be lost ;)

magushun
12-14-2007, 06:33 PM
some of the tracker's irc channel is pretty good. it doesnt (always) mean the big sites...

DanielleD87
12-14-2007, 06:44 PM
private bt sites revolve around their community. the better the community the better the site sometimes, but always the higher looked up on it is. why do people ask for ftn more then sct? it is the community not the warez. sysops realize this and push for better communities which in cause and effect makes a better torrent site if done properly. (imho)

jasperr
12-14-2007, 06:49 PM
i agree also... trackers theses days are realising that its the community feel that keeps them going.. if the tracker plans on being around a while they need to have a community thats loyal, keeps comming back an supports them and not just jump on the the next best thing.. if that bothers people that trackers are doing this.... theres always The Pirate Bay.....

DannyGnXz
12-14-2007, 07:15 PM
private bt sites revolve around their community. the better the community the better the site sometimes, but always the higher looked up on it is. why do people ask for ftn more then sct? it is the community not the warez. sysops realize this and push for better communities which in cause and effect makes a better torrent site if done properly. (imho)

Very nicely said...

DKre8ive1
12-14-2007, 07:25 PM
Well I had already posted in the other thread but I feel my statement fits better here.

Most sites I have ever been invited too when I started torrents was because of being on IRC and someone liked my attitude or something else and they offered me an invite.

Plus its always nice to get to chat with people in real time instead of playing forum post tag on the site.

DanielleD87
12-14-2007, 08:30 PM
yaaa... i've been offered so many invites on irc for torrent site this and torrent site that, it gets kind of old actually. :/

BudgieSmuggler
12-14-2007, 11:43 PM
thanks for the quality of responses in this thread folks

bikernin
12-14-2007, 11:48 PM
you get to chat with mpaa and riaa operatives in real time in irc... you get every second updates as the feds drive to your house and bust your door down

ever heard of a BNC? stfu if you dont know squat

Cheffy
12-15-2007, 01:46 AM
Yes the Feds only go after the users that use IRC......
When was the last time you heard of someone getting busted for beeing on irc. Or for that matter when was the last time you heard of anyone getting a visit form the feds for using a Fileserver on irc....

As for getting people in irc, i understand the idea. But i dont think "Bribing" people to hang out in irc is the right way to go. I just look at my self, Im active in most of the irc chans i join by myself, rather than the once that try to get me there by offering me upload credits.
Dont see the point in having 2000 users on Irc when only 30 of them actually chat.

And irc is a grate way to get help. Im not talking about invites here, im talking about regular help for just about anything. From hardware advice, software help and all the way to your math homework. You would be supriced the ammount of knolage that you can find in 50 people that got some speare time on their hands.

bornwithnoname
12-15-2007, 01:43 PM
And irc is a grate way to get help. Im not talking about invites here, im talking about regular help for just about anything. From hardware advice, software help and all the way to your math homework. You would be supriced the ammount of knolage that you can find in 50 people that got some speare time on their hands.

You don't need to join irc for help, the FTS community has given me advice about both hardware and software with excellent results.

DanielleD87
12-15-2007, 05:54 PM
FTS community giving you good and non sarcastic advice? Blasphemy!

Zeus
12-15-2007, 08:20 PM
If no one went into the irc channel then there wouldn't be anyone to kick-ban :P

bornwithnoname
12-15-2007, 09:30 PM
FTS community giving you good and non sarcastic advice? Blasphemy!

I never said that all the advice was good or that the sarcasm isn't waist deep.

fOrUmAs
12-15-2007, 10:51 PM
for me i only join the irc if they giveing irc idle bonus,if not im not very interesting to be on irc,also if i need some help then i also go,but that is very rare

stoi
12-16-2007, 02:16 AM
i dont see the point in being there though if all you do is sit there for days/weeks/months and never participate.

I would rather have 30 active users in IRC than 100 in there just idling to get a bonus and maybe 10 chatting now and again.

but saying that, we have about 70-80 in Blackcats IRC, maybe 20-30 talk, the others just sit there, and we do not have any bonuses for upload because you are in IRC and we never will either.

Buddha.net
12-18-2007, 08:26 AM
Whats the IRC for this site, FST?