PDA

View Full Version : seedbox speedtest

Submission
12-14-2007, 11:50 PM
Does anyone know how I would do a speed test on a seedbox?

I tried lynx with speedtest.net but you need flash.

fisherman
12-15-2007, 12:32 AM
Here's how I did my speed test...I'm renting Vectoral server and done my test via speedtest.net and here's how I installed flash...

There is prob an easier way to do this so some of u linux guru's might let us know but this way works too :)

First of all I downloaded flash to my actual windows desktop, you can get it here http://www.soft32.com/Download/Free/Adobe_Macromedia_Flash_Player/4-500-1.html

Then I logged into my ftp client which is Winscp and navigated to this folder wine/drive_c/windows/system32 and I dragged and dropped the install_flash_player.exe into it...then make sure to "refresh" your client....

Now log in via Tightvnc..... and type wine install_flash_player.exe

That will install flash

Then provided you have firefox installed, just goto speedtest.net and run speed test...

If u don't have firefox installed, u can download it from here http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/launch/?utm_id=Q406&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=postlaunch&gclid=CN7c3LSEqZACFQtGQwodHm_hhQ

And follow same steps as installing flash..

Thats how I do my speedtests...prob an easier way but fuck it, that works for me :)

ifkstab
12-15-2007, 06:29 AM
easier way would be to just install firefox as it can be installed directly in linux, i have fedora so it was yum -y install firefox.
then run firefox and browse to speedtest.net and it'll give you a link to the installation files. Download the rpm. Then browse to where you downloaded it and type rpm -i software.rpm where software.rpm is the flash plugin you just downloaded and wallah, speedtest.net

Artemis
12-15-2007, 11:14 AM
There is another speedtest that I use for seedbox servers which gives you a far more accurate idea of the overall performance and does not require flash, it is a java application : http://www.numion.com/YourSpeed3/index.html
This gives you a better idea of the actual data throughput the server can achieve.

fstokebanget
12-15-2007, 02:28 PM

I think lynx is a text based browser, you'll need a graphical based browser like firefox

fisherman
12-15-2007, 02:38 PM

I think lynx is a text based browser, you'll need a graphical based browser like firefox

I don't use a graphical user interface.... I run all my programs from the linux commands.

How i explained to do this is quite easy for people that don't have much linux experience.

ser3oof
12-15-2007, 03:18 PM
hiiiii i need seed box trade invite bitmetv

puckface
12-15-2007, 06:44 PM
hiiiii i need seed box trade invite bitmetv

huh?

fstokebanget
12-16-2007, 03:25 AM
ser3oof, wrong section

Fibre
12-17-2007, 01:00 PM
Find a speed test file. If you tell us the country & location of DC I'll look for something.

Stranger99
12-17-2007, 01:56 PM
Much complex on linux but easy on windows :D

Razrak
01-24-2008, 04:19 PM
I have the same problem. I don't have a GUI installed and I don't really want to install one due to limited hard drive space on the seedbox. So I can run bandwidth tests on java or flash websites since I use a text based browers (lynx)

yozshura
01-24-2008, 11:39 PM
I don't believe much in speed test sites. The best speed test is real world test: put a 100MB file on your site and tell people to download it and see the results

Brinza
01-25-2008, 08:39 AM
I don't believe much in speed test sites. The best speed test is real world test: put a 100MB file on your site and tell people to download it and see the results

:))))))