PDA

View Full Version : My Computer Is Extremely Slow.

nineomatic
07-24-2003, 07:16 PM
How do I get my computer back to the way it was when I first got It.
I`ve tried reg cleaner,windows washer,and east tec eraser but its still very slow.do I have to go buy windows xp and reinstall it?

DarthInsinuate
07-24-2003, 07:21 PM
if you have a store bought computer they usually come with a restore CD - basically an image of your hard drive when you brought it, stick it in and don't forget to backup all your stuff

if you haven't got a restore CD, try a startup editing program like PCForrest's Startman - and try and pick out the crap

chimp2k2
07-24-2003, 07:34 PM
if you really wanted to, you could format your hard drive.

that would delete all the stuff on it, but it will clear it of all the shit and make it run faster again

zapjb
07-24-2003, 08:06 PM
I'm guessing none of the above. Bet if you did regular sys maintenance, thats all thats needed. Such as disk cleanup,empty temp files, check & scan disk, HDD defrag with perfectdisk or O&O defrag, etc. But go ahead & throw the baby out with the bath water if you want. :lol:

ultimatejester
07-24-2003, 11:16 PM
u can download xp off klite but it wud be a gud idea to format the system, if its really pissing u off.

Storm
07-25-2003, 01:52 AM
i dunno which windows u use, but here is sum' that worked 4 me when i was still usin 98SE (an works reasonably well wit XP): make a separate partition with just Windows and ur drivers on it on it (always a good idea ;))...........

format ur that disk (prolly C:\)

reinstall windows, ur hardware, and the programs u really need............ this works cause it cleans the registry and everything.......... making it ALOT faster 2 boot............. 2 give u an idea: my old comp (AMD 200MHz, 32MB ram, 2.5GB HDD) is faster than my "new" comp (AMD 500MHz, 192MB ram, 20 GB HDD), simply cause my older comp has no 'useless' shit on it, like games, ICQ, MSN, KaZaA an the likes.............. ;)

ricochet
07-25-2003, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by Storm@25 July 2003 - 01:52
i dunno which windows u use, but here is sum' that worked 4 me when i was still usin 98SE (an works reasonably well wit XP): make a separate partition with just Windows and ur drivers on it on it (always a good idea ;))...........

format ur that disk (prolly C:\)

reinstall windows, ur hardware, and the programs u really need............ this works cause it cleans the registry and everything.......... making it ALOT faster 2 boot............. 2 give u an idea: my old comp (AMD 200MHz, 32MB ram, 2.5GB HDD) is faster than my "new" comp (AMD 500MHz, 192MB ram, 20 GB HDD), simply cause my older comp has no 'useless' shit on it, like games, ICQ, MSN, KaZaA an the likes.............. ;)
Kazaa 'useless ' shit... :o No Way... B)

TRshady
07-25-2003, 06:24 AM
It may not seem it but one of the best quick fixies you can do is using norton systemworks. My pc was taking ages to even load the most basic of programs till I download it, ran a system check-up and had over 300+ registry errors and other program integrity problems which were all fixed and finished this with a run of 'speed disk', now my pc really is good as knew. Quite happy really because I was expecting to do a format.

zapjb
07-25-2003, 07:02 AM
I agree with you TRshady. Think most everyone in this thread is format or reinstall happy. ;)

DarthInsinuate
07-25-2003, 12:47 PM
what's wrong with a good formatting every now and again?

its like spring cleaning your house :)

Dapadipz
07-25-2003, 02:21 PM
i use my Restore Disc (Which Is Just Basically A XP Disc) about once a month. Put all my important files, music movies in another partition. nice and new hehe

MadDog-2000
07-25-2003, 06:58 PM
Dapadipz Posted on 25 July 2003 - 08:21

i use my Restore Disc (Which Is Just Basically A XP Disc) about once a month. Put all my important files, music movies in another partition. nice and new hehe

I have to agree with Dapadipz, some kind of restore CD or cloned image is the fastest way to a brand new, fresh, and fast system. Get 2 partitions, OS on one, your files on the other. And in 10 min or so you have a clean install of your OS.

By the way, defragmenting an NT file system (NT/2000/XP) won't do you any good. The NTFS is a journaling file system, which takes care of itself and also reduces fragmentation during normal computer operation. So, running Disk defragmenter is really unnecessary.