PDA

View Full Version : I wanna start playing a SIM game. Where 2 start?

mr. nails
12-16-2007, 10:39 AM
so, i've got this itch to play something like simcity or civilization or something of that nature. i have NEVER played these types of games be4. i've played command & conquer and that's fun, but now i just wanna micro manage and build a city/civilization. this will be played on PC. i'm leaning toward civ4. what's something good 2 play?

wrongun92
12-17-2007, 12:36 AM
are you talking about sims2 ? I didnt have the patience to play this game. Also, it was kind of slow on my computer to reap the rewards.

silent h3ro
12-18-2007, 03:14 AM
I would recommend Civilization 4 and the expansions or/and Galactic Civilizations and the expansion. Also maybe try SimCity 4 (not as fun as the first two, IMO). Honestly, reading this thread makes me want to play Civ 4 (I am downloading it and both expansions right now). :happy:

mr. nails
12-18-2007, 05:58 AM
I am downloading it and both expansions right now.
same here. 3gb version with crack. my old room mate played civ3 and i would just get stoned and watch never to play. civ4 has an atomic bomb or some shit, idk. looked cool. hopefully it will be. dl'ing this game for myself for xmas. merry xmas 2 me. :)

icec
12-18-2007, 07:08 AM
If you specifically looking for one of the "Sim" games, I've found that Sim City 4 is mildly entertaining. Their new game, Sim Societies (?) isn't too bad either

Baley
12-18-2007, 10:06 AM
Thanks, it was usefull for me, too. :)

grimms
12-18-2007, 10:28 AM
Sim City 4 is the game for you mate. Also try out total rome war. Game based in medival time period. You manage troops and terrorities vs modern day buildings and cities though but still hella fun.

Scavenger
12-19-2007, 10:38 PM
Sim City 4 + Rush Hour is the game. :)

mr. nails
12-20-2007, 02:33 AM
well, it took me like 3 days to get civ4 + expansions and i started playing it. idk wtf i'm doing. i'm basically just picking something to learn or do and ending the round. seems mindless & that's what i wanted, but i wish i knew wtf i was doing. so, i'm into the game trying to learn it (no instructions and 1st civ game i've ever played) by having a military, education and settling shit. then BAM! the game crashes. hrm, so i reboot and try it again from where i left off. crashes again. so, i guess that's where i end my civ experience. i look online to see if the game is $20. i'd buy it if it was. mind u i have civ4 + 2 exps. that's about $90-$100. lol, ain't gonna spend $40 on civ4 if i end up not liking it. maybe i'll start over and try again. i'd like to play it or @ least understand it. last game i've played like this was nobunaga's ambition for the nes. that shit was hard, but i did beat it once i learned it. i guess i've lied about never playing a sim type game. i just forgot about that one. it's been 18 years. lol. meh, in the meantime i guess it's back to team fortress 2. tf2 is great, but wanted to learn something new. /sad.

silent h3ro
12-20-2007, 02:44 AM
Haha, I played Civ 4 today and I had the same problem. I had no clue what I was doing.

it took me like 3 days to get civ4 + expansions
Join Bitsoup. I got Civ 4 and both expansions within a matter of a few hours. Very fast tracker and they have like every PC game you can imagine.

tesco
12-21-2007, 03:08 PM
I used to love Roller Coaster Tycoon.
Maybe you could try that game.

wrongun92
12-21-2007, 04:41 PM
yes, roller coaster tycoon was very interesting. There were also other in this tycoon series but i did not enjoy those as much as roller coaster tycoon

mr. nails
12-22-2007, 05:51 AM
I used to love Roller Coaster Tycoon.
Maybe you could try that game.

is there a specific one?

so far i've tried civ 4 and it was ok, but wasn't able to get into it long enough for the copy i acquired shits on itself after 30 mins of use. tried 4 times. :(

guess i need to try simcity 4 and now this roller coaster business.

tesco
12-22-2007, 05:10 PM
The first roller coaster tycoon.
You can get the expansion too, loopy landscapes.
Adds more parks and more rides, but the original has plenty of parks already. Will keep you busy practically forever trying to beat them all.

silent h3ro
12-22-2007, 10:54 PM
Roller Coaster Tycoon was fun when it came out but IMO sucks now.

mr. nails
12-23-2007, 07:00 AM
ok, so i've tried 2 different copies of civ4. both give me the same outcum. 1st copy shits on me in 30 mins. 2nd copy shit on me in 15 mins. i've tried 3 different installs and 2 differnet cracks. what happens is the game hard locks my pc and the screen looks like what 8bit nintendo games used to look like when they were dirty (for those who remember this). is it cuz i have an amd cpu or shit warez? it can't be cuz of intense grafx for i've played way more intense shit on my pc and still do with NO problems. i just can't play civ4. i have yet to try RETAIL. anway, i've already deleted both games and uninstalled it. i've tried to play it 6 times now and it locked up my pc all 6 times. i just wanted to know if anyway else has had or seen this problem be4. lol, within those 6 times i've managed to learn a little something something about the game. i had 3 cities, decent growing military & CURRENCY! :) well, to bad 4 me. guess it's time for sim city.

twist off
12-27-2007, 07:15 PM
someone else mentioned total war series... the game focus is more on micro managing the battles then building up your society... however, a lot of strategy should be put into building your cities/castles...

very fun game

if you do get into it, there are tons of mods available at twcenter.net which make the game soooo much better...

mr. nails
12-28-2007, 05:39 AM
i haven't looked into the total war series yet. i know nothing about it.

went to frys cuz my mouse got destroyed and while i was there i purchased Civilization 3 Complete. box set contains all 3 civ3 games in 1 and cost me $19.99. game is a lot harder then civ4. lol, first time i played civ3 i was killed in 45 mins. 2nd time i played it i was killed in 2 hours. hard shit. 1st time i didn't know wtf i was doing. civ4 is layed out a lot better. 2nd time i played civ3 i kinda knew wtf and had 3 cities going with a harbor, military & currency. good shit, but my military wasn't that strong. some dude wanted some money for nothing and i told him to fuck off. well, he declared war on me and wiped me. dammit. 3rd time imma concentrate on my military some more. i dont' really wanna give in to the fagot AI for dumb ass reasons like just giving them gold for the hell of it. meh, this sim shit is hard 4 me. :(

Cheese
12-28-2007, 11:48 AM
Whilst Civ is the undisputed champion of the genre, Galactic Civilizations I and II are certainly worth a look.

i haven't looked into the total war series yet. i know nothing about it.

went to frys cuz my mouse got destroyed and while i was there i purchased Civilization 3 Complete. box set contains all 3 civ3 games in 1 and cost me $19.99. game is a lot harder then civ4. lol, first time i played civ3 i was killed in 45 mins. 2nd time i played it i was killed in 2 hours. hard shit. 1st time i didn't know wtf i was doing. civ4 is layed out a lot better. 2nd time i played civ3 i kinda knew wtf and had 3 cities going with a harbor, military & currency. good shit, but my military wasn't that strong. some dude wanted some money for nothing and i told him to fuck off. well, he declared war on me and wiped me. dammit. 3rd time imma concentrate on my military some more. i dont' really wanna give in to the fagot AI for dumb ass reasons like just giving them gold for the hell of it. meh, this sim shit is hard 4 me. :(

The basic tactic I use is to build city, build military units in city enough to protect it, then build settlers to build new cities. Just carry on pumping out settlers until you fill as much as the map as possible.

Try to expand all the way to the coasts and for land find throttlepoints for your borders where there aren't many squares for units to get through and fill them with your units.

grimms
01-05-2008, 05:22 AM
someone else mentioned total war series... the game focus is more on micro managing the battles then building up your society... however, a lot of strategy should be put into building your cities/castles...

very fun game

if you do get into it, there are tons of mods available at twcenter.net which make the game soooo much better...

Total Rome War is the best game ever. I played that game every night for about 10 hours a night straight until I beat it. Make sure its Total Rome War not Medievil War.:w00t:

Also either try out the Sims 2 or Sim City 4.

twist off
01-07-2008, 04:14 PM
You can never beat MTW (RTW) you can only hope to... Contain it? :huh::whistling

I don't know, I always preferred MTW series to RTW... :happy: