Dear ------------

We are writing as a courtesy to let you know that we have received a
notification from one or more owners of music/movie/other creative rights
claiming that their work has been transmitted over the Internet from your
account without their permission (please see enclosed notice(s)). Our
records indicate that we have notified you in the past about similar
complaints. We are concerned that either you or a person with access to
your account may be participating in certain file sharing or
server-related activities that led to this complaint.

As we indicated in our first letter, the Optimum Online User Agreement
that you agreed to at the time of your subscription requires compliance
with all applicable laws and specifically prohibits the use of the Optimum
Online system for copyright infringement.

We consider you a valued customer, so we wanted to remind you that if the
copyright holder pursues this claim, or if there are additional claims, it
could lead to legal action against you. We may be required by law to
release private information about you and to suspend, or even terminate,
your service. We want to help you prevent this from happening.

In order to assist you in your future use of our service, we have again
included with this letter a series of tips and guidelines that we hope
will give you all the information you need to avoid further action on this
matter or on other matters. We also have provided the following link
containing information for addressing this issue
www.optonline.net/copyright

We regret having to send notices like this, and we do not wish to alarm
you unnecessarily, but we have a responsibility to advise you of any
notices concerning your account.

If you have any questions about our Optimum Online policies, please feel
free to contact us at the Customer Service Center, 631-846-5350. We
appreciate your business, and look forward to providing you with
excellence in broadband service for many years to come.

Regards,
Raymond J. Connolly
Registered Copyright Agent
Cablevision Systems Corporation

my question is that can i still dl? am i being monitored? i have been torrenting for a while and i usuualyl just torrent tv shows that are on eveyr week that i miss -.-.....
did i just get unlucky in that torrent? or should i just not dl any more =(

lukee
12-18-2007, 03:02 AM
change isp ASAP!

Degenx
12-18-2007, 04:56 AM
If you're downloading from public sites use a proxy, lol. If you don't want to change isps, then tell your isp to cancel your current account and start up again with a new addy. :P

Broken
12-18-2007, 05:07 AM
You can't change the past, and if need be you're gonna have to live up to the consequences.

Torrents are very possible the easiest way to get caught trading files. I would try other means.

arkiebrian
12-18-2007, 05:17 AM
If your using BT are you using private trackers?

eric884
12-18-2007, 06:14 AM
i'm using bit torrent no private tracker
The email specifically said it was because i was dling balls of fury. i really think it was just that torrent, i thought something was sketchy because it was an early release compared to like Axxo or fxg. i donno man, maybe i should just stop for a while.
any ideas?

dist
12-18-2007, 07:15 AM
Use private trackers or something like PeerGuardian2 if you have to use public ones...

albcoe
12-18-2007, 07:26 AM
Use private trackers or something like PeerGuardian2 if you have to use public ones...
Using Peerguardian wil keep you out of troubles

grimms
12-18-2007, 10:02 AM
Yea man. Change isp's ASAP. Good luck mate!

arkiebrian
12-18-2007, 01:15 PM
i'm using bit torrent no private tracker
The email specifically said it was because i was dling balls of fury. i really think it was just that torrent, i thought something was sketchy because it was an early release compared to like Axxo or fxg. i donno man, maybe i should just stop for a while.
any ideas?

I definitely wouldn't go downloading with your current ISP account. They've given you the chance to stop with their warning...

If I were you I would get another ISP account. Consider using a seedbox to DL...

hbkwarez
12-18-2007, 01:46 PM
Private torrent are not 100% safe!

BT go by like how much data you are downloading on your limited 40 gb FAIR USAGE POLICY and fuck you by saying " YOu download from p2p"
One of my Uk Friend had same problem

There is no way u can hide your ip when downloading from Torrents!
if u wanna be 100% safe don't use them Or find alternative like Usenet or rapidshare

Again i would suggest
1. Get a New Unlimited connection from diff ISP....

2. For current month don't download from torrents Use rapidshare or usenet

3. Try using peergurdian

Broken
12-18-2007, 03:39 PM
It's too late, the damage is done.

Swapping ISPs is pointless, what you've done is on record already. Any ISP will have to follow the same policies regarding copyright notices. In fact, I think your ISP has been extremely lenient if you've had several violations reported before as the letter suggest. Most companies would have terminated your account by now. By not terminating your account they are really putting themselves at risk according to the DMCA.

Peer guardian is a joke. It's the "Duck and Cover" of the torrent world.
Your IP is transfered through the entire swarm. With one connection to one user the IPs of everyone in the swarm can be reveled.

jasperr
12-18-2007, 03:53 PM
i've gotten a similar mail.. a while backs... i have cablevision also..don't worry its just a scare tactic........... if it makes ya feel better lay low for a bit.... no need to change ISPs ... but i would get off the public trackers though... thats what i did... private trackers aren't 100% safe either but, ya gots less chance of that happening....

as was stated.. you can't hide your ip ... so why bother.. just try to stay away from the public trackers...

AmpeD
12-18-2007, 08:37 PM
dont worry about it, prison's not that bad. I did time back in '94 for p2p

eric884
12-18-2007, 09:28 PM
thanks for the advice
but one more.. if i just download tv shows like Heroes, and gossip girl (don't ask haha) it should be fine right, because thousands of people download those and i'm sure those aren't the target downloads for the riaa/dmcaa/w/e theyre called

but u think cablevision is monitoring me now? i mean is it as long as i just don't dl big movies..it should be fine (well obviously after no charges were pressed etc...)

maybe i should just tivo.. lol

start
12-19-2007, 12:54 AM
Switch to Usenet, safest way to p2p.

arkiebrian
12-19-2007, 02:51 AM
If you use a seedbox and FTP between the seedbox and your local computer you are bypassing the ISP monitoring your IP for BT protocol...

I agree that it sounds like a scare tactic...but it's a good scare tactic. I would take measures to guard against them being able to monitor what your DLing. Using private trackers is a step in the right direction. At least their is a key to "listening" in on the BT traffic then. Public trackers have no key at all...making it very easy to monitor what's going on...believe me it makes easy pickings for those who wish to sue their customers.

Peer Guardian gives a false sense of security. It does block known IP ranges of government organizations, etc. from monitoring BT activity but it is not a failsafe method. Using private trackers is safer.

Broken
12-19-2007, 05:15 AM
thanks for the advice
but one more.. if i just download tv shows like Heroes, and gossip girl (don't ask haha) it should be fine right, because thousands of people download those and i'm sure those aren't the target downloads for the riaa/dmcaa/w/e theyre called

but u think cablevision is monitoring me now? i mean is it as long as i just don't dl big movies..it should be fine (well obviously after no charges were pressed etc...)

maybe i should just tivo.. lol

It doesn't matter what you download, if the copyright holder wants to make a big deal out of it they can. A TV show can be just as serious as a movie.

This whole situation has almost nothing to do with your ISP. They are just the middleman. They did not report you, in all reality they don't care what you do. All they care about is the amount of bandwidth you are using, and if they aren't complaining all is well.
It would actually be a crime, similar to wiretapping for them to monitor the actual files you are downloading.

What happened is that you joined a BT swarm. There was a connection made to you by an anti-piracy agent. They took your IP and sent notice to your ISP that copyrighted material was being sent from your connection. Your ISP then passed this notice on to you. It is really up to your ISP if any of your personal information was released to the anti-piracy agent. They don't have to release information about you without a court order, but many do without.

You may not know for sometime what your actual situation is.

5p1d0r
12-19-2007, 08:11 AM
Nope

ShiiStainz
12-19-2007, 08:38 PM
Just change isp. Or email your isp back and tell them you were checking for a friend to see if the file was real or not to report it to the mpaa lol

ceasar
12-23-2007, 10:20 AM
Haha, this letter is crap, some my friends received one of those back in 2003, I've seen it myself, almost the same and came from Optimum Online too))) Just forget about it, they didn't do nothing, it's just some type of procedure, the ISP followes when they receive some kind of spam mail from RIAA.

BLaZiN
12-23-2007, 02:05 PM
Simple solution is not to use public bitorrent sites especially when the release is faster then any axxo rip or other release group, as we all no alot of fake files get dumped there and they can track themselves back to ya....thats where you went wrong bud.

1/ Make sure you no the file is REAL before attempting to DL it.
2/ Stick with private bitorrent trackers.

Fibre
12-23-2007, 06:07 PM
Stop using public P2P. PeerGuardian won't protect you.

ivenkii
12-25-2007, 09:29 AM
U shud be changing u r ISP asap ;)

sanath
12-25-2007, 09:45 AM
use dynamic ip or change isp

johncap
12-28-2007, 03:28 AM
I got one of these letters years ago. I just kept on downloading and I've had no problems since.

KennyD
12-29-2007, 08:03 AM
This is why a seedbox is looking more and more affordable. :) Because then you have pure anonymous fast torrenting abilities :)

heis
12-29-2007, 01:10 PM
the best way (without abandoning torrent sites) is to use a seedbox, then u can download stuff using ftp from your seedbox, and since downloading isn't a crime u can feel safe:) and even better - use ssl encryption on such ftp so your isp probably won't even know what do u download from your seedbox.

I remember my cousin said his friends got similar notices (on paper by normal mail) because they were using DC++ p2p

spacemen22
12-30-2007, 12:31 PM
You should be thrown in jail just for downloading that crap movie. Just joking man..that email is bull. My stepbrother got the same one, and he still downloads whatever.

spacemen22
12-30-2007, 12:32 PM
You should be thrown in jail just for downloading that crap movie. Just joking man..that email is bull. My stepbrother got the same one, and he still downloads whatever.

Sonnentier
12-30-2007, 11:34 PM
It's too late, the damage is done.
Swapping ISPs is pointless, what you've done is on record already.
What do you mean exactly with that? Is there a central database of bad users or where is it on record already?