PDA

View Full Version : Question b4 sharing a dedibox

fstokebanget
12-18-2007, 05:55 AM
Guys,
Me and my friend want to share a dedibox. Few questions b4 we do it :
- Is the 5TB limit traffic should be enough for both of us ?
- I know it's better to use Linux than Windows. What about the torrent client ? Better using rTorrent or TorrentFlux ?
- Can rTorrent be managed from the web ?
- Does 512MB RAM should be enough for both of us ? Or we need to raise to 1GB ?
- Which is better ?
RapidSwitch (http://www.rapidswitch.com/dedicatedservers.asp) £39/month with limited 5TB traffic or
KeyWeb (http://english.keyweb.de/dedicated/index.shtml) €49,00/month with unlimited transfer or
Hosting-ie (http://hosting-ie.com/content/view/15/48/) €49/month with unlimited transfer or
Fasthosts (http://www.fasthosts.co.uk/dedicatedservers/) £49/month with unlimited transfer
But both KeyWeb and Hosting-ie will require a setup fee €79

Thank a lot for your answer

t0mmy
12-18-2007, 05:59 AM
hosting-ie is a reseller off keywebs, which are for american people who want keyweb :) and i think you would need more then 512mb of ram

arkiebrian
12-18-2007, 06:03 AM
Unless you DL everything you see, 5TB should be plenty. Linux is great if you have some computer-savvy, if you don't get ready to struggle a bit...but all the help you need is at google/linux. I like TorrentFlux...it's what I use but I really like PHP scripts because they're easy to customize. RAM should be fine...

Any of those boxes you have look good to me...but those are Linux prices and not Windows, aren't they? I think I'd try to avoid the stiff setup fee.

koolyt
12-18-2007, 06:03 AM
i would also go w/ 1 gig ram

btw, anyone know if those RapidSwitch servers are a dedicated connection or shared?

fstokebanget
12-18-2007, 06:12 AM
RapidSwitch is previously known as 49pence, they are dedicated

koolyt
12-18-2007, 06:13 AM

ty

SgtMajor
12-18-2007, 06:19 AM

And your first bill will be around £70, and the monthly £39 turns into £47 when tax is taken into account.

In fact all have tax to be added, something you may wish to consider and make sure you are aware of of the tax rates for each different country.

Edit 2: If you are doing it for longer than 3 months, and sharing it, then I would go for the ie.hosting Dedic Raptor Pro Lin 577, just check out them specs for the price.

fstokebanget
12-20-2007, 08:23 PM
how do you guys think of fasthosts ? I think for £49 without setup fee and get unlimited traffic will be a good option

grimms
12-20-2007, 08:53 PM
Thanks for all the advice and to the Thread starter. I'm also looking into setting a seedbox.

Fibre
12-22-2007, 01:09 PM
how do you guys think of fasthosts ? I think for £49 without setup fee and get unlimited traffic will be a good option

10mbit port.

I recommend Leaseweb with Debian.

fstokebanget
12-22-2007, 03:56 PM
but it only has a max 2TB of traffic allowed, I want to share this, is it enough with just 2TB traffic ?

Hi SgtMajor, is this tax also applied even if I'm not from Europe ?

And your first bill will be around £70, and the monthly £39 turns into £47 when tax is taken into account.

In fact all have tax to be added, something you may wish to consider and make sure you are aware of of the tax rates for each different country.

Edit 2: If you are doing it for longer than 3 months, and sharing it, then I would go for the ie.hosting Dedic Raptor Pro Lin 577, just check out them specs for the price.

Fibre
12-23-2007, 06:29 PM
but it only has a max 2TB of traffic allowed, I want to share this, is it enough with just 2TB traffic ?

is this tax also applied even if I'm not from Europe ?

It depends on your requirements. With LeaseWeb it is very easy to burst to 100mbit whenever you want. This is important when it comes to seeding on private torrent sites ;)

If you put your address as USA you won't have to pay tax.

fstokebanget
01-06-2008, 09:16 AM
I still wonder, from your guys experiences in sharing a dedicated server, is the 2TB traffic limit enough ?

Cheffy
01-06-2008, 09:29 AM
Depends on how much you download.
Whit my usual usage i cant get past 2tb. But i only download the things i want to watch myself.

And if you have a normal life as well it should be enough. IE not camping your computer 24/7 waiting for new hot torrents to upload.
I say go with leaseweb, and try it for a month. You never know you guys might buy it for another month when you are done with the first one.

thechile
01-06-2008, 12:31 PM
in 8 months of heavy seedbox use I've never peaked above 2TB usage. It depends on the trackers you're going to use and how active a downloader you are and how much you seed back. If you only seed back to a 2:1 or 3:1 etc.. then 2TB will be fine. I never limit my ratios though and 2TB is fine. Thats just for me though.. if you're sharing it then it might not be ok.

thechile
01-06-2008, 12:32 PM
in 8 months of heavy seedbox use I've never peaked above 2TB usage. It depends on the trackers you're going to use and how active a downloader you are and how much you seed back. If you only seed back to a 2:1 or 3:1 etc.. then 2TB will be fine. I never limit my ratios though and 2TB is fine. Thats just for me though.. if you're sharing it then it might not be ok.