PDA

View Full Version : Router for 2 Things

Lester
12-19-2007, 05:22 PM
Ineed 1 tha connect both pc and xbox 360 on the internet and live i dont seem to no wha to get i havea Cable routher at the min could i plug a NEtGEAR rougter into it and make a connection to both ( any 1 point me in the way of doing this;)

MultiForce
12-19-2007, 07:24 PM
Ineed 1 tha connect both pc and xbox 360 on the internet and live i dont seem to no wha to get i havea Cable routher at the min could i plug a NEtGEAR rougter into it and make a connection to both ( any 1 point me in the way of doing this;)

If you get ip adresses from the cable modem (as I do) you can just use a switch instead of a router with DHCP. If you don't have it you can in theory use whatever router you want as long as it don't have any wierdo settings already.

silent h3ro
12-19-2007, 10:53 PM
Get a router and plug in your modem to it. Then you can either wirelessly (or connect with a wire) connect your PC or your Xbox 360. With default settings, your Xbox 360 and/or PC will see the router (wirelessly). If you chose to hook up with a wire, then your computer will already be setup; simply plug in and play. I see no point in buying a switch unless you need more Ethernet ports for you router. IMO, just buy a router.

@MultiForce - You know you can setup a router for a Static and Dynamic address, right?

MultiForce
12-20-2007, 02:38 PM
Get a router and plug in your modem to it. Then you can either wirelessly (or connect with a wire) connect your PC or your Xbox 360. With default settings, your Xbox 360 and/or PC will see the router (wirelessly). If you chose to hook up with a wire, then your computer will already be setup; simply plug in and play. I see no point in buying a switch unless you need more Ethernet ports for you router. IMO, just buy a router.

@MultiForce - You know you can setup a router for a Static and Dynamic address, right?

Was tired when I wrote that so I don't know what I meant with that reply :mellow: