PDA

View Full Version : defragmentor

nkhlsrf
12-22-2007, 06:38 PM
hello ppl
sorry for another silly thread of mine
but i would like ur opinion on the best defragmentor out there
and were i could get it from..
i hate the one which xp already has and have ashampoo magical defrag but am not satisfied with it.
looking forward to ur help
thanks

peat moss
12-22-2007, 06:59 PM
Diskeeper Pro 2008 is one I like , I don't even notice it as it silently runs in the back ground and defrags when needed .

Trial here :

http://www.diskeeper.com/defrag.asp

fstokebanget
12-23-2007, 03:51 AM
Certainly Diskeeper is the best

Skiz
12-23-2007, 04:18 AM
Is there something wrong with the Windows one?

dnero73
12-23-2007, 04:19 AM
o&o software one

Broken
12-23-2007, 04:36 AM

Nothing that I know of, it does do the job.
But, it is also very slow with few options.

Diskeeper Pro 2008 is one I like , I don't even notice it as it silently runs in the back ground and defrags when needed .

Diskeeper also gets my vote.

Ronnie Coleman
12-23-2007, 11:44 AM
Of course not. But, considering "rumors", 3rd part apps are more "advanced".

To be honest, I never found any benefits from defragmenting. Also, I read a lot about it and in theory it gives a little speed improvement but in practical work - nothing.

sleepyy
12-23-2007, 01:33 PM
IF your on XP click start, click all programs, click accessories at the top, next to that click system tools then finaly disk defragmenter and then select the disk you want done and start very simple

Werter
12-23-2007, 02:19 PM
Raxco PerfectDisk® 8.0 (http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdisk2k/)

Broken
12-23-2007, 03:50 PM
To be honest, I never found any benefits from defragmenting.

If you don't defragment you drive eventually you will have read errors as the files become separated. This will cause system slow down, and even freezes.

silent h3ro
12-23-2007, 06:11 PM
Raxco PerfectDisk® 8.0 (http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdisk2k/)I use Raxco, too.

digmen1
12-23-2007, 07:31 PM
As regards those who wonder if defragging is worth it....

I used to sell and look after PC's in the 1980's (20 and 40 MEG hard drives) and we definitley noticed a speed up in loading software and files etc on those drives. Nowadays programs load so much faster that we probably don't notice the delay.

Also defragging means the drive has less work to do to load files which must be a plus in the long term.

I am testing AusLogics Defragger Free ! (from their web site) and its OK so far.

Kind Regards

Digby

peat moss
12-23-2007, 07:57 PM
@digmen1 , I was wondering how you made out . I 'v always used one too usually before I burn a disk and I RARELY make a coaster . I try so many software programs , burn movies and the like so constantly deleting files or programs so maybe I get more defraged issues .

After a clean install its one of the first programs I install on a setup . Do I notice a speed increase ? not really but don't seem to get errors or freeze ups .

DislikedWord
12-24-2007, 03:12 AM
diskeeper for the win. For the record I like version 9.

S!X
12-24-2007, 03:17 AM
diskeeper for the win. For the record I like version 9.

Why 9, cause from then on it got harder to crack? ;)

Demigod
12-24-2007, 03:33 AM
I've tried Diskeeper and Raxco PerfectDisk but my favorite is O&O Defrag. It automatically defrags your computer when its senses the need to and allocate resources so you won't feel much of a slowdown.

snowultra
12-24-2007, 03:40 AM
diskeeper for me, but i use the older version. upgrades dont always help older computers.

$SnoopDo2G$
12-24-2007, 05:31 AM
What about Ashampoo Magical Defrag 2 ????

Defragments the hard disk automatically and "invisibly" in the background.
Pauses defragmentation automatically as soon as other programs require processor capacity or access the hard disk.
Switching to Pause mode only takes around one second.
Support for defragmenting compressed files.
No analysis needed - defragmentation starts immediately! The advanced defragmentation algorithm eliminates the need for a time-consuming analysis phase. This means that the program is genuinely productive whenever it's running, even if it's just for a few seconds.
Install & Forget: Once the program is installed it runs in the background as a service and keeps the hard disk defragmented automatically.
Statistic functions for monitoring defragmentation.
Multi-user support: Once the administrator has installed the program it keeps running, even on restricted user accounts without administrator rights.
Also defragments the hard disk when no user is logged in.
Can be controlled and monitored via a local network.

Scavenger
12-24-2007, 05:48 AM
Another vote for Raxco.

deuce6000
12-24-2007, 07:34 AM
TheBest=Disktrix Ultimate Defrag(But you need to do some things to make it perfect for you/more of a power user defrag program)

2ndBest=O&O because it has 5 or 6 ways to organize your drives(Use to be my favorite till disktrix UD came out)

3rd best=Diskeeper it is the easiest one to use out of the bunch and probably the fastest too(it also defrags in the background which comes in handy.Only defrags in back when it knows you are not doing anything important)

4th best=Perfectdisk(To me this one isn't even worth using but give it a try anyway you may find that you like this one the best who knows :P)

nkhlsrf
12-24-2007, 07:56 AM
thanks a lot everyone...it would be really helpful if you all could tell me where can i get the full version of diskeepr...
anyways thanks for the support..FST rocks..

or raxo..

deuce6000
12-24-2007, 08:20 AM
You can get the newest diskeeper at ilovetorrents.com and sign ups are open also if you don't have an account.

edgarb
12-25-2007, 06:26 AM
I use O&O defrag, seems okay

clocker
12-25-2007, 02:41 PM
I've been partial to O&O because it can defrag multiple disks simultaneously.

silent h3ro
12-25-2007, 08:19 PM
nsanedown.com

AmpeD
12-25-2007, 08:38 PM
i just windows defragged, then hit analyze right after and it said I needed to defrag again
:(