PDA

View Full Version : sci-fi books

SAM
12-22-2007, 07:46 PM
hi everyone ,
i started my vacation and i think i had enough of fantasy books:D

so i like to ask you about some recommendations in a different genre of fiction :)

i'm new to the sci-fi world and i need guidance :(
i only read Issac Asimov books so i'm open for any other .
just name it:)

thanks to you all :fst:

SAM
01-01-2008, 02:35 PM
no suggestions :(

ilw
01-01-2008, 05:56 PM
What kind are you looking for?
If its action/adventure then anything by Alastair Reynolds is good, or Altered Carbon by richard morgan is also good, but Richard Morgan's books get pretty samey after a while and there are a couple of science plot holes which irritate me a bit...

If its the more detailed future gazing sort of stuff (which i would say asimov kind of falls into) then i think arthur c clarke books or 'Red Mars' by Kim Stanley Robinson. Red mars is enjoyable and educational at the same time, the author seriously knows his shit about how colonising mars could work.

Enders game by Orson Scott Card is a good book, its almost more psychological fiction than science fiction but has some nice space combat theory stuff.

Thats all that springs to mind for the moment (probably because its whats sitting on my shelf :whistling: If you get stuck for more books you can just look at the lists of books that have won hugo and nebula awards for ideas. I think most of the ones i've mentioned above probably won awards, but thats mostly coincidence.

SAM
01-02-2008, 06:40 PM
you are the man ,
i really started reading rama "arthur c clark "
thanks buddy :)

wmrawls
01-03-2008, 03:16 PM
Oh My.....there are so many great SCFI authors, do you like the modern writers or the the ones from the last 30 years or so,
Hmmmmm Lester Del Ray, Jack Chalker, Phil Hogan, For Great Military SCFI then, Ringo, Flint, Webber, Drake,
Go the Baen.com site and they have a ton of free Downloads and many of the authors named above have granted free access to some of their work. I could name more but if you hit their site you can browse and see how they classify the Authors.

Barbarossa
01-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Iain M. Banks
Stephen Baxter
Frank Herbert (specifically the "dune" series)

...are among my favourites.

ilw
01-03-2008, 11:16 PM
i'll second iain m banks especially 'the player of games' and 'Consider Philebas' or if you're looking for something a bit more twisted 'Use of Weapons'

and I'll second the original dune book too (i didn't like the rest of them though)

SAM
01-04-2008, 02:55 AM
thank you all for your help
it means alot to me :)

Barbarossa
01-04-2008, 11:00 AM
i'll second iain m banks especially 'the player of games' and 'Consider Philebas' or if you're looking for something a bit more twisted 'Use of Weapons'

and I'll second the original dune book too (i didn't like the rest of them though)

He's bringing a new "culture" book out in february I think. Can't wait :cool:

ilw
01-05-2008, 03:09 PM

He's bringing a new "culture" book out in february I think. Can't wait :cool:

cheers for the heads up, sounds a little unusual

In a world renowned within a galaxy full of wonders, a crime within a war. For one brother it means a desperate flight, and a search for the one - maybe two - people who could clear his name. For his brother it means a life lived under constant threat of treachery and murder. And for their sister, it means returning to a place she’d thought abandoned forever.

Only the sister is not what she once was; Djan Seriy Anaplian has become an agent of the Culture’s Special Circumstances section, charged with high-level interference in civilisations throughout the greater galaxy.

Concealing her new identity - and her particular set of abilities - might be a dangerous strategy. In the world to which Anaplian returns, nothing is quite as it seems; and determining the appropriate level of interference in someone else’s war is never a simple matter.

Banks tells me that he has spent the past three months writing another Culture novel. It will be called Matter and is to be published next February. "It's a real shelf-breaker," he says enthusiastically. "It's 204,000 words long [544 pages, according to Amazon] and the last 4,000 consist of appendices and glossaries. It's so complicated that even in its complexity it's complex. I'm not sure the publishers will go for the appendices, but readers will need them. It's filled with neologisms and characters who disappear for 150 pages and come back, with lots of flashbacks and -forwards. And the story involves different civilisations at different stages of technological evolution. There's even one group who have disappeared up their own fundaments into non-matter-based societies". [1]

aolemy
01-10-2008, 02:48 PM
goooooooooood

SAM
01-12-2008, 05:14 AM
what's good?

BurntBlue
01-12-2008, 09:21 AM
A Couple of my favorite SCi-fi books:

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
Spares by Michael Marshall Smith

both are excellent cyberpunk sci-fi type reads....too good :)

punki_rach
01-13-2008, 03:18 AM
I haven't actually got round to reading it yet but apparently Dune is really good. And I'm not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for but according to a French project I did once, Jules Verne is supposed to be one of the 'pioneers de la genre science-fiction' :P (20,000 Leagues under the sea, Journey to the centre of the Earth etc)

JohnDoe
01-13-2008, 11:47 AM
Arkady and Boris Strugatsky books are also very good. One of their most famost works is Roadside Picnic, which I still haven't read.

I'm curentlly reading their Escape Attempt and really good....

pcallisto
01-14-2008, 01:25 AM
I have to give my thumbs up to Snowcrash--it's one of my favorites. I'd also recommend _Starship Troopers_ and _The Moon is a Harsh Mistress_ by Robert Heinlein, both are classics. Don't forget Ray Bradbury, Robert Silverberg, EE "Doc" Smith, and tons of other classics.

There's a really good 5G SciFi ebook torrent up on TPB right now, over 100 seeders.

SAM
01-26-2008, 02:00 PM
thank you , guys
i really enjoy reading most of the books you mentioned :)
keep it coming :D

peat moss
01-27-2008, 08:20 PM
I read a Stranger in a Strange Land over 40 years ago and still recommend it .Its by Robert A. Heinlein and won many awards . Written in the 1960 's I think ,I was just talking about this with a workmate who's a Sci-Fi nut too .

Link : http://www.wegrokit.com/stranger_in_a_strange_land.htm

wolverine88
02-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Star wars Here

http://comics.sendboard.com/only-english-f8/star-wars-t74.htm

Synaptic
02-28-2008, 11:12 PM
Hyperion by Dan Simmons

bornwithnoname
03-07-2008, 01:25 AM
orson scott card - Ender's Game

IdolEyes787
03-23-2008, 06:42 PM
Second that.
You could also the Ringworld series or Riverworld which I really enjoyed.

Septimus
03-23-2008, 10:36 PM
you should read Ray Bradbury´s novels.... i read some of his novels in english and also in spanish

dunkItOut
03-30-2008, 06:21 AM

Hahaha, I think I read that book about 6 times during my high school career. Couldn't get enough of it.

bornwithnoname
03-30-2008, 12:57 PM
You could also the Ringworld series or Riverworld which I really enjoyed.

Riverworld was really good

Ri0T
04-08-2008, 09:49 PM
A landmark of the Sci-Fi literature - Dune, by Frank Hebert. That's my recommendation.
A must read for any Sci-Fi, and even for the average book reader.

IdolEyes787
04-10-2008, 12:59 PM
The original Dune was magical.
I've found some of the sequels and spin-offs interesting but nothing matches up to the first.

bornwithnoname
04-18-2008, 01:28 AM
I just finished Jack Campbell's Lost Fleet. It is an excellent read.

Imagine_If
04-18-2008, 07:57 PM
The Chronicle Of Amber

a popular fantasy series by Roger Zelazny. It has inspired a roleplaying game and a video game.
In the Amber stories, Amber and the Courts of Chaos are the only two true worlds; all others, including our Earth, are but "shadows" of the tension between them. Royals of Amber who have negotiated the Pattern, and the equivalent Chaos nobility who have navigated the Logrus, can freely travel through the shadows and alter them, but they cannot alter Amber itself.
Contents
1 The Chronicles
1.1 The Corwin Cycle
1.2 The Merlin Cycle

The Corwin Cycle
-----------------
The first Chronicles of Amber were written by Zelazny as a series of five novels. The books are narrated by Corwin (though one chapter is told to Corwin by Random), who wakes up in a hospital in New York from a coma with amnesia, escapes, tracks down his sister Florimel, and discovers that he is a scion of the ruling family of Amber. He is taken by Random to walk the Pattern, a labyrinth inscribed in the dungeons of Castle Amber which gives the multiverse its order. Walking the Pattern restores Corwin's memory and his powers to travel through shadow. He attempts to conquer Amber, which is currently ruled by his elder brother Eric, but fails and is blinded and imprisoned. Blindness removes his two possible means of escape; walking through shadow, or using the Trumps (AKA "major arcana") of a tarot deck which allows communication between members of his family. He regrows his eyes, and thanks to a chance encounter with Dworkin Barimen, the mad sorcerer who created the Pattern, he escapes. He discovers a threat to Amber, a black road which runs across universes from the Courts of Chaos to Amber, created by damage done to the Pattern by his brother, Brand. The chronicles then follow Corwin's attempts to recapture Amber and destroy the Black Road.
The books are:
Nine Princes in Amber (1970)
The Guns of Avalon (1972)
Sign of the Unicorn (1975)
The Hand of Oberon (1976)
The Courts of Chaos (1978)
The Merlin Cycle
----------------
The next five novels focus on Merlin, who has been studying Computer Science while constructing an Artificial Intelligence powered by the Trumps, and wondering what has become of his missing father, Corwin. Before he leaves, he wants to find out who has been trying to kill him every April 30th and why they failed. He discovers his ex-girlfriend killed by beasts from another shadow, then finds that his best friend Luke is in fact the son of Brand and was responsible for the early attempts on his life. After a lot of political maneuvering, Luke persuades Merlin to rescue his mother, Jasra, who (it turns out) has been captured by Merlin's ex-girlfriend, who faked her own death and hooked up with Merlin's younger half-brother Jurt, who has acquired godlike powers and seeks to kill Merlin. This plot is almost resolved, when (in the fourth book) the story changes. It is revealed that the Pattern, and its chaotic counterpart the Logrus, are sentient, and wish Merlin to take sides and tip the balance of the multiverse towards Order or Chaos (respectively).
Trumps of Doom (1985)
Blood of Amber (1986)
Sign of Chaos (1987)
Knight of Shadows (1989)
Prince of Chaos (1991)
These stories are held by some to be of a lower quality than the first five, revolving around the acquisition of ever more powerful artifacts, each of which negates the drawbacks of the last.
The first ten novels have also been released in a single volume called The Great Book of Amber.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chronicles_of_Amber
http://zelazny.corrupt.net/amber.html

I have it if you are interested, complete;
shared on SoulSeek :)..and the Dune series (pdf)