PDA

View Full Version : Can somebody clear this up for me

Adam1990
12-23-2007, 09:57 PM
I come here every day and people are asking about seed boxes and all that. What I don't understand is why people spending $100 a month for a seed box when you can pay $15 a month for usenet. Usenet will max out your connection, you dont have to seed back, and it has more of a selection than any torrent site. I will admit I use torrents alot more than usenet, but that is only because I don't want to pay a monthly fee, and the server I get free from my isp sucks.

Hey
12-23-2007, 09:58 PM
yeah...a very good question. I know my friend uses usenet cuz he doesnt want to seed back and usenet always maxes his 6mbit line + he gets all the releases on there with 100 days to download them.

SiNa
12-23-2007, 10:00 PM
maybe they like using torrents - more fun somehow

wrongun92
12-23-2007, 10:06 PM
perhaps a bit of ignorance on the user's part.
Maybe not familiar of the posibilities of usenet.
Maybe they find, torrenting easier and more user friendly.

Actatoi
12-23-2007, 10:10 PM
I think e-penis is a big part of it.

mrnobody
12-23-2007, 11:59 PM
that's an interesting question...but i can't really answer the qn at all coz i never paid for seedbox neither used usenet.

Ænima
12-24-2007, 01:32 AM
The community of BT I suppose.
*edit* I don't think seed boxes are generally 100$...

TP635
12-24-2007, 02:05 AM
I don't use seedbox or usenet. The different is that people who pay to use usenet are basically leechers and those that use seedbox are seeders.

raj3186
12-24-2007, 02:18 AM
that's an interesting question...but i can't really answer the qn at all coz i never paid for seedbox neither used usenet.
Then why posting :naughty:
:lol::lol:

fatcat69
12-24-2007, 02:27 AM
The community of BT I suppose.
*edit* I don't think seed boxes are generally 100$...

The cheapest I have seen are about 70euros a month...which turns into about $100

arkiebrian
12-24-2007, 02:32 AM
I have used Usenet and found it to be a pain in the arse. Admittedly I did not use Gigabits, or one of the 'pay' versions that have more stuff there than the one I used which comes with my ISP subscription.

I disagree about the content. I could never find the stuff I wanted there. A lot of the stuff I'm after is obscure.

My seedbox costs $30 a month but I am going to upgrade to one that's $80 a month. The seedbox thing is fun for me, I'll admit.

fstokebanget
12-24-2007, 03:16 AM
because they get addicted with the torrents :D so they're willing to spend more on torrents
jk... no I agree to arkiebrian, maybe trackers have more things organized and easy to find, and it's really fun

whynot
12-24-2007, 03:56 AM
It depends on the person really. I personally had a seedbox when I did uploading on several torrent sites. As far as usenet go, I am going to check it out. May be a good source for old material to release. But usenet is a huge pain in the ass to be honest. Never did figure out how to use it .

Artemis
12-24-2007, 04:03 AM
There are three main reasons for using a seedbox for me, my ISP speed truly sux, which is a big reason but equally important is security, the IP address which does all the leeching is a server in Germany not my external IP address assigned by the ISP so no C&D letters for me.
As far as my ISP or anyone else is concerned I have some ftp traffic but that is all, so that fact alone makes it important. The third reason is that I like others upload to some torrent sites as well, so the seedbox is important when the torrent is first starting to be seeded.

mrnobody
12-24-2007, 04:09 AM
Then why posting :naughty:
:lol::lol:

i can't post? meh :(

jr56
12-24-2007, 04:20 AM
but equally important is security, the IP address which does all the leeching is a server in Germany not my external IP address assigned by the ISP so no C&D letters for me.

Your server company can get a C&D letter nonetheless causing a possible contract termination and in the worst case identity divulgation :yup:

bikernin
12-24-2007, 04:42 AM
dosent happen with high level pvt trackers m8.
Why people pay for seedboxes :
1) They have poor home connections and want better ratios on sites so that hey can leech whatever they want w/o worry
2) A seedbox contributes to the speed of the site and goes a long way in making the site popular. Ever heard of a top level site w/o uploaders on seedboxes? You give back a lot to the site if you have a seedbox and in a way its like donating to keep the site alive. People do so because they love the sites
3) A comparable home connection costs more than a seedbox. So if its just ratios i need to take care of might as well save money on home connection and buy seedbox. No one downloads everything in sight and a 1 mb connection is more than suffiient for the average user to get all he needs with plenty time to spare
4) Newsgroups are not very user friendly and have lots of issues such as retention time, par recovery etc. torrents are very easy to use and hence preferable. searching is harder on newsgroups. Also there is no interaction between users like on a torrent site. Torrent sites provide a unique amalgamation of a forum and file sharing making them a one stop shop.
5) People just have a lot of money and dont know what to do with it :P

arkiebrian
12-24-2007, 04:56 AM
but equally important is security, the IP address which does all the leeching is a server in Germany not my external IP address assigned by the ISP so no C&D letters for me.

Your server company can get a C&D letter nonetheless causing a possible contract termination and in the worst case identity divulgation :yup:

But my server company only knows me through how I pay them. It's a little different than how I pay my ISP where my home address is embedded to my account.

wrongun92
12-24-2007, 05:01 AM
There are three main reasons for using a seedbox for me, my ISP speed truly sux, which is a big reason but equally important is security, the IP address which does all the leeching is a server in Germany not my external IP address assigned by the ISP so no C&D letters for me.
As far as my ISP or anyone else is concerned I have some ftp traffic but that is all, so that fact alone makes it important. The third reason is that I like others upload to some torrent sites as well, so the seedbox is important when the torrent is first starting to be seeded.

1) They have poor home connections and want better ratios on sites so that hey can leech whatever they want w/o worry
2) A seedbox contributes to the speed of the site and goes a long way in making the site popular. Ever heard of a top level site w/o uploaders on seedboxes? You give back a lot to the site if you have a seedbox and in a way its like donating to keep the site alive. People do so because they love the sites
3) A comparable home connection costs more than a seedbox. So if its just ratios i need to take care of might as well save money on home connection and buy seedbox. No one downloads everything in sight and a 1 mb connection is more than suffiient for the average user to get all he needs with plenty time to spare
4) Newsgroups are not very user friendly and have lots of issues such as retention time, par recovery etc. torrents are very easy to use and hence preferable. searching is harder on newsgroups. Also there is no interaction between users like on a torrent site. Torrent sites provide a unique amalgamation of a forum and file sharing making them a one stop shop.

but usenet also provides those services, doesnt it?;)

bikernin
12-24-2007, 05:04 AM
no not exactly. its completely different. while its not a bad option, torrents are just better

arkiebrian
12-24-2007, 05:08 AM

I don't think Usenet is very user-friendly. I always had to hunt for parity files when the download was incomplete, etc...and the content is not that great...nothing like what's on the good trackers. My DL speed was never maxed out either. It was quite slow.

I never have checked out a service like Gigabits, or whatever its called. I would like to hear from someone who knows what it's like.

fatcat69
12-24-2007, 05:11 AM
I don't think Usenet is very user-friendly. I always had to hunt for parity files when the download was incomplete, etc...and the content is not that great...nothing like what's on the good trackers. My DL speed was never maxed out either. It was quite slow.

I never have checked out a service like Gigabits, or whatever its called. I would like to hear from someone who knows what it's like.

I have a few friends that use gigabits, and gigabits offers a month or a week free of use. The only pain with that stuff is its just like torrents...unless you know what you are doing you are helpless. If you know someone who uses it and can help you figure it out... they are pretty amazing.

Best part is that its an ssl secure so no worries about certain agencies annoying your hobbies if you catch my drift. and i guess the speed...essentially it is like torrenting but with all the seeders having 1000/1000 lines so you max your download connection at all times.

edit: more like dedicated ftp servers i guess....

Artemis
12-24-2007, 05:13 AM
How is my ISP going to get a C&D there is no connection between the torrents which are downloaded to the server & my ISP the data traffic to & from the server is via ftp if I am uploading a new torrent or downloading content.
As others have said though too torrenting is just more fun, and the community is a big part of it too.

SgtMajor
12-24-2007, 05:14 AM

Have you ever tried holding a convo with a rar file on newsgroups? Ignorant little beasts they are.

Unless you know your way round the discussion groups, and manage to stay away from the alt.2600 hierarchy as well, (which in the old days was fantastic entertainment!) NGs can be seriously full of bigger dickus headus than we have here.

Flamers & haters on here couldn't hold a candle to the NG lot, they rule!

And NGs for 0day apps & packs is woeful, but all the major releases on DVD are generally only minutes behind at NGs, so I generally manage to grab from there first and seed like hell to trackers when I need a boost :D

wrongun92
12-24-2007, 05:17 AM
no not exactly. its completely different. while its not a bad option, torrents are just better

the only thing i can think is prolly retention times for usenet are not that great compared to torrents.

Have you ever tried holding a convo with a rar file on newsgroups? Ignorant little beasts they are.

Unless you know your way round the discussion groups, and manage to stay away from the alt.2600 hierarchy as well, (which in the old days was fantastic entertainment!) NGs can be seriously full of bigger dickus headus than we have here.

Flamers & haters on here couldn't hold a candle to the NG lot, they rule!

And NGs for 0day apps & packs is woeful, but all the major releases on DVD are generally only minutes behind at NGs, so I generally manage to grab from there first and seed like hell to trackers when I need a boost :D

yes I agree, . The reason is prolly user-friendliness.

I was talking more about the fact that security for NGs and seedbox are prolly the same right? If yes, NGs are a lot cheaper than seedbox.

SgtMajor
12-24-2007, 05:24 AM

the only thing i can think is prolly retention times for usenet are not that great compared to torrents.

Giganews gives me 200 days :D And stuff is always getting reposted for someone.

Take MP3, 56,947 reported albums that I can find from one indexing site alone that doesn't index everything :w00t:

I bet it is over 100,000 MP3 albums easy, along with:

30,658 reported movies of various formats
77,280 reported TV items of various formats

I'm sure you get the picture :D

yes I agree, . The reason is prolly user-friendliness.

I was talking more about the fact that security for NGs and seedbox are prolly the same right? If yes, NGs are a lot cheaper than seedbox.

I prefer NGs for downloading, SSL connection means it pisses all over torrents for security, think of your IP as being readable by anyone in any swarm in any torrent that you are connected to :eek:

Just have to find the right balance to what suits you, your needs and your pocket :)

bikernin
12-24-2007, 05:29 AM
yes the selection is pretty impressive on NGs and that is why i did not comment on it in my previous post. if you know the right indexing sites, you can pretty much get everything you need. besides NZB make it slightly easier.
but then again, if you just want to download files, topsites rule!

fatcat69
12-24-2007, 05:39 AM

1. Random post in invite share.....30 seconds
2. posting the proof for the theory of dickwads by bikernin....5 minutes

3. reading the above joke by sarge....priceless

There are somethings boringness can't buy, for everything else there is spamming FST.

http://www.pycomall.com/images/P/MasterCard_logo.jpg

Ya i was too lazy to photoshop it...so use your own imagination to see it. :lol::lol:

bikernin
12-24-2007, 05:42 AM
LMFAO!! :lol:
hail fatcat!

wtfyo
12-24-2007, 06:09 AM
the torrent community is better. you have to rely on someone else to seed back to you.

shygrrrl
12-24-2007, 06:14 AM
I don't understand newsgroups. They intimidate me. I'm not crazy about scene releases and it seems like that's mostly what they have there, right?

I like torrents. I understand them. They work for me. I can find old stuff. (I can actually find more on Soulseek, but with less reliability and quality.)

And I like to share. :)

jr56
12-24-2007, 02:59 PM
Take MP3, 56,947 reported albums that I can find from one indexing site alone that doesn't index everything :w00t:

I bet it is over 100,000 MP3 albums easy

Pfff that ain't even 10% of what i have in my hub :lol:

arkiebrian
12-24-2007, 03:22 PM
Has anybody ever put SSL on their seedbox? Is there a concept that won't allow this?