PDA

View Full Version : Why you can't jump to conclusions...

arkiebrian
12-24-2007, 10:07 PM
Naturally, I thought the worst when I was notified that I 'invited a cheater' and lost my invitation privileges at one of my favorite trackers. Well, it turns out the person I invited was not cheating but logging into the site from a hotel since he's on the road. This could definitely be viewed as account sharing/cheating but can hopefully be explained to the mods.

It's easy to assume the worst about people but you have to give them the benefit of the doubt. Innocent until proven guilty...

Hey
12-24-2007, 10:12 PM
hahaha...the staff usually view it the other way around until you explain the situation to them. so its Guilty until proven innocent. to staff

arkiebrian
12-24-2007, 10:14 PM
hahaha...the staff usually view it the other way around until you explain the situation to them. so its Guilty until proven innocent. to staff

Yep...I've had it happen to me but I was able to explain myself. They'll listen if you have a real explanation.

DefX
12-24-2007, 10:16 PM
That's precisely the reason why we don't like it if members tries to go on a warpath and serve their own justice by exposing other members here.

I'm always reminded of that saying, "It takes a lifetime to build trust, yet it only takes a suspicion to crumble it" or something to that effect.

thebazzla
12-24-2007, 10:16 PM
well at least you didn't name him in public and i suppose the site was only protecting itself so no real harm done

Hey
12-24-2007, 10:22 PM
I'm always reminded of that saying, "It takes a lifetime to build trust, yet it only takes a suspicion to crumble it" or something to that effect.

yea it was definitely not those exact words, but we get the gist :lol:

DefX
12-24-2007, 10:26 PM

yea it was definitely not those exact words, but we get the gist :lol:

:dabs: Good. Cuz I can't be bothered to google it. :)

Hey
12-24-2007, 10:30 PM
lol...would you go google it if i just said, "I dont know that saying. Quote it with the sayer's name"?

DefX, you crack me up sometimes lol :lol:

sleepyy
12-24-2007, 10:31 PM
So does this mean if i move house or change my isp i could be banned untill i explain myself?

Hey
12-24-2007, 10:39 PM
I am not totally sure how this works, but you wont be disabled if your ip range is within a certain distance from your previous one.

its okay if you let the staff know you are moving homes. If its about 200-300 miles, you should be fine. But if its anywhere greater than 500 miles, you might wanna let the staff know, just so you are in the safe zone.

P.S. 1 mile = 1.6 Kilometers.

DanielleD87
12-25-2007, 01:33 AM
logging into another net and cheating are two different things. it would be really hard to be accused of cheating because of a different IP.

sounds kind of fishy.

bikernin
12-25-2007, 01:38 AM
yea its not cheating. and most sites will hear you out on irc. i was idling in one chan and this guy had his account disabled coz of ip change. they just asked him from which areas he logged in and crosschecked with the ips. he got his account back right away.
so yea, its guilty unless proven innocent

arkiebrian
12-25-2007, 04:43 AM
logging into another net and cheating are two different things. it would be really hard to be accused of cheating because of a different IP.

sounds kind of fishy.

Is that manatee all right in your avatar?

Seriously though I was told more details about how this different IP thing made this person look bad and it sounds legit. Still, I'm waiting to see how this turns out.

Still, I'm not going to do big, public giveaways anymore. Too risky...

DanielleD87
12-25-2007, 04:45 AM
*giggles* and i'll give you 10 points if you can guess the forum i got the gif from. hint: it is a forum on a bt site.

bikernin
12-25-2007, 04:58 AM
naah bunny was better

lostdemon
12-25-2007, 05:34 AM
@ arkiebrian
I read your post earlier about inviting a cheater and I 'm glad you found out the real reason and everything is better for you.

arkiebrian
12-25-2007, 06:40 AM
*giggles* and i'll give you 10 points if you can guess the forum i got the gif from. hint: it is a forum on a bt site.

Hmm...can't guess. It looks like that manatee had some force going when he crashed into that Plexiglas though!

I vote for the manatee...

@ arkiebrian
I read your post earlier about inviting a cheater and I 'm glad you found out the real reason and everything is better for you.

Thanks.