PDA

View Full Version : Who else ported from What to Waffles yesterday?

anak
12-25-2007, 11:35 AM
When What.cd told us there would be no freeleech for christmas, it would be an understatement so say that we were heartbroken. I myself had many albums lined up, ready to download victoriously, and was very sad to have had to delete my queue :(.
Then, as if the little BT fairy answered my prayer, some serendipity led me to waffles to find out that they unexpectedly granted its users another freeleech! :w00t:

Wasting no time, I found the list of the albums I had wanted from what.cd and started searching for them on waffles. I found all of them and more! I was a very satisfied torrenter. :)

Beforehand I would casually download from both sites ... an ebook there, and audiobook there, without really preferring one over the other... After this unexpected christmas present from waffles, however, I am pleased to call waffles my site of choice. I'll still keep up to date with what.cd and see if it has any torrents that isn't on waffles, but I think I've stuck to waffles for good.

As anyone had the same experience? I don't know if this was waffles' intention, but I think their freeleech ported more than just me over to their side.

Btw, Happy Holidays!

Bad Seed
12-25-2007, 01:05 PM
I don't have anything to download and that's worse :pinch:. But I see your point, if they claim that they need more leechers a X-mas freelech would have been nice :dabs:

znik
12-25-2007, 01:21 PM
I don't think you can evaluate the quality of a tracker according to the freeleech periods they have...

Freeleech usually causes more problems with hit and runners etc, so in the long run I am not sure if it is that good for the file-sharing.

Imagine what could happen if everyone waited for these freeleech periods to download from the trackers without seeding back what they got.

I think that's what happening on both these trackers, which are almost dead the days they are not on freeleech, with zero snatches

deuce6000
12-25-2007, 01:35 PM
I don't have waffles but if i did this would make no difference to me at all..

puckface
12-25-2007, 03:14 PM
I would if Waffles didn't have that stupid fucking rule about avatars.

jam0980tr
12-25-2007, 03:22 PM
i just got on waffles and its damn so easy to buffer
in 2 days i got 0 down 60 gigs upload :P

Something Else
12-25-2007, 03:23 PM
No need to be cawks about it. Just follow the rules. Free isn't everything. :dabs:

fOrUmAs
12-25-2007, 03:47 PM
TorrentLeech also dont have any freeleech but that dosent mean i should go looking for others site that have it..i really dont care much

sear
12-25-2007, 04:02 PM
I'm downloading some stuff from Waffles for the free leech...but there's no way I'm just going to quit what. I actually prefer it a bit but both have problems. One of the biggest is people are just upping anything in the hope of getting some ratio but not leeching. The result of this is that the speeds are mixed to say the least. On some torrents they're just terrible. For example one bloke on Waffles has uploaded at least 20 torrents all at the same time who knows how thin his bandwidth is spread. One torrent I'm downloading now I'm connected to 6 seeders but only getting between 8-9 Kbps :pinch:

xJohnxSmithx
12-25-2007, 04:41 PM
Athough its disapointing that what did nothing for the holidays. It's certainly not a reason to abandon the tracker. Every one else did something so my bandwidth is spent right now anyways. ;)

yayyyyyy
12-25-2007, 04:47 PM
I laugh to ppl that wait for freeleech just to have things without giving back...

freeleech is good to fix your ratio and increase your buffers... but needing it just to leech leech leech is quite funny :O

Grind$oFine
12-25-2007, 04:52 PM
I abandoned What previously, but not because of this.

And, in fact, they abandoned me. What banned me for selling invites on ebay, which quite frankly is not only false, but it's insulting. In the IRC, I was ignored when asked how they prove something like that.

On another note, they have a bug in their coding, and I have been banned for... hm maybe a week or a little more, and I can still view the browse page, I can see all the torrents, I can see all the uploader's usernames. It just doesn't seem safe to me at all.

As far as downtime, Waffles has had it's fair share, but What is definitely more unreliable.

There's a definite peer problem on both trackers though. A lot of the time, I don't instantly download because no one is seeding.

I still miss OiNK.

dj_strix
12-25-2007, 04:55 PM
there won't be a 2nd OiNK

Swax
12-25-2007, 05:19 PM
Waffles has definitely overtaken What in terms of popularity, speed and reliability.

Waffles saw the need for a Free Leech because any fairly new music site needs free leech to get the number of seeds up. The fact that there's so many unique torrents on a music site means some will only ever get 10 snatches, so they need things like free leech to let people jump on and help seed.

The only thing I can suggest What to do is have a Free Leech commencing 2nd Jan, once everyone else's FL has ended. Not only will they stand out from the crowd but it'll help stave off the exodus to Waffles.

P.S. What fanboys need not reply

jayz707
12-25-2007, 05:44 PM
i think free leech for Christmas is always something nice, or else i won't be able to download most of the things i like to cause i know if i do it will eat my ratio... waiting for what.cd to have a freeleech...

anak
12-25-2007, 05:55 PM
I laugh to ppl that wait for freeleech just to have things without giving back...
giving back? by downloading people's torrents, i'm giving them upload credit!

waiting for what.cd to have a freeleech...
if i recall correctly, ? said there wouldn't be one until they stabilize and upgrade the servers so they are able to handle the load of a freeleech.
but by that time it seems everyone else would have taken advantage of waffles freeleeches :dabs:

chillincool
12-25-2007, 06:16 PM
Waffles has had freeleech on for way too long, half the people there have so much buffer that they'll never have to share again in their life.

pandabear
12-25-2007, 07:22 PM
:o guess i better start using waffles.

grimms
12-26-2007, 05:40 AM
I actually like what over waffles. I do appreciate the unexpected freeleech from waffles though. They have some excellent uploaders over there. Yea i don't really care about the whole "screw you if theres no free leech" crap though. Just my two sense.

anak
12-26-2007, 10:05 AM
Yea i don't really care about the whole "screw you if theres no free leech" crap though. Just my two sense.
It's not that I'm going to completely neglect my what.cd account; waffles.fm is just going to be the dominant one for cds, since with this huge upload credit I am going to preserve snatching albums off of waffles instead of what for the year. Although the two ratios might balance out if what continues their staff picks.

Daniel
12-26-2007, 12:17 PM
Waffles has had freeleech on for way too long, half the people there have so much buffer that they'll never have to share again in their life.
The same is true for what.cd as well if you were member there early enough. I haven't abused what's previous free leeches at all and still managed to get a buffer of almost 40GB in the meantime.

In my case, I never stopped using what as the main tracker for music while waffles is right there waiting if something is not available on what or if it's not seeded, etc. It doesn't really matter if I do it the other way around because both trackers aren't that far from each other: 80k torrents & 250k peers vs. 87k torrents & 380k peers.

One thing is certain from my experience though: waffles has 18 seeded torrents per users wheras what only amounts to 5.7 - it's an important indicator and on average, downloads from what are faster. Even outside the Christmas free leech on waffles I've had to see 1-3kb/s speeds on downloads, that hasn't happened to me on what for weeks.

I don't think the topic of this thread needs fanboys or their outrageous comments and in the end, both trackers are good but improvable. By the way, what had some kind of free leech too, it was a better way than an all-out-unlimited FL like waffles did, imho.

SAM
12-26-2007, 02:09 PM
it won't matter to me whether there is a free leech or not but it's very nice move from waffles to give their members free leech .
and i guess free leech periods is very attractive to users and help them to maintain a good ratio ... yes, it has its problem but what doesn't ?

ZyPhErX
12-27-2007, 03:57 PM