PDA

View Full Version : Is TOR a viable way for BT security?

anak
12-25-2007, 06:49 PM
Shall I ask, or shall I try it out myself... since I don't feel like installing it, I'll ask:
DSL and maybe cable connecions, is The Onion Router network mature enough to handle BT?
I know TOR isn't an option for private sites, since they keep track of your IP address, but when downloading from the murky backwaters of the public sector, in which anti-p2p agents are most notably abound, do you guys think it reasonable to use TOR?

chillincool
12-25-2007, 06:57 PM
No, it takes like 5 seconds to figure out the ip of somebody hiding behind a proxy.

anak
12-25-2007, 07:00 PM
No, it takes like 5 seconds to figure out the ip of somebody hiding behind a proxy.
Tor is not "a proxy", but a network of proxies.

beat
12-25-2007, 07:14 PM
No. Tor is not designed for p2p, your downloads will be slow and it puts unnecessary stress on the tor network. Please don't do it.

pandabear
12-25-2007, 07:17 PM
What beat said. TOR produce slow speeds in your client, and is against the TOR rules i think, because your trying to push too much data. TOR is for browsing the net or using irc.

DanielleD87
12-25-2007, 10:40 PM
tor is fine for downloading on p2p if you don't mind super slow speeds. they even have a tutorial on their web page how to use it on bt.

there is using a proxy to report to the tracker or full blown proxy. if you use proxy to report to the tracker it will not hide your IP from the clients so you will have to use it as the full on socks proxy which is sslllooowww. also, it will make you not connectable and port forwarding will not help on this one.

pro267
12-25-2007, 10:55 PM
No. Tor is not designed for p2p, your downloads will be slow and it puts unnecessary stress on the tor network. Please don't do it.
+1

People hogging bandwidth on Tor should be shot. Simple as that.

anak
12-26-2007, 12:31 AM
People hogging bandwidth on Tor should be shot. Simple as that.

If you are correct to disapprove of using TOR for p2p, consider this:

Optimize BitTorrent to outwit traffic shaping ISPs (http://www.scribd.com/doc/273456/Optimize-BitTorrent-to-outwit-traffic-shaping-ISPs)
"Azureus provides in-client support for TOR and I2P. Other clients will have to set up the software as recommended on the TOR or I2P site.
Note: TOR has been updated to allow peer-to-peer download data, despite any information to the contrary (it used to be prohibited)."

Maybe you should direct your indignation towards Azureus, or perhaps EFF for allowing TOR to be used for p2p.

I really started this thread to determine whether TOR has matured enough to handle p2p yet, and maybe for people to speculate when that ever might happen

DanielleD87
12-26-2007, 12:55 AM
it can it is just really f'en slow.

dogie
12-26-2007, 01:02 AM

this guy is right please dont do it, just try to browse sites in tor it is very slow isnt it :) , but if people start using it for anonymus p2p this will totally kill tor.

jayz707
12-26-2007, 01:04 AM
simply TOR can hide you very well, but it will be really slow.

Scavenger
12-26-2007, 01:06 AM
You reach very slow traffic with thor :S

anak
12-26-2007, 01:32 AM

this guy is right please dont do it, just try to browse sites in tor it is very slow isnt it :) , but if people start using it for anonymus p2p this will totally kill tor.
Or it will cause more people to set up tor servers because the network is too slow.

jayz707
12-26-2007, 01:38 AM
Or it will cause more people to set up tor servers because the network is too slow.

will you do that? setup a TOR server? its not very easy to do that, and many people don't do it, they just use them. and the people who have servers have to take a risk(which is why its not very easy). recently some guy in germany got his TOR servers hunted down by the police! just because some a****** used them to do something ileagle...

InXS
12-26-2007, 03:14 AM
Thx Guys For The Info On TOR

anak
12-27-2007, 11:49 PM
Ok guy my prospect of using tor as a socks proxy has been relinquished for much less but much more feasible alternative. I shall from now on use tor as an http proxy, for when announcing to trackers!

I am just too impatient to use tor as a socks proxy and to cheap to buy a real proxy.

If tor was faster, I would use it, regardless of the "effect" it would cause on the tor swarm. After all, if people really don't want me to use p2p... they can just uncheck it in their server configuration. :w00t: The argument against it really isn't there, because it is up to the servers themselves to decide whether they want their boxes to transfer p2p and compromise their security :shifty:

will you do that? setup a TOR server? its not very easy to do that, and many people don't do it, they just use them. and the people who have servers have to take a risk(which is why its not very easy). recently some guy in germany got his TOR servers hunted down by the police! just because some a****** used them to do something ileagle...
yeah, I know; A tendency of mine is to uncontrollably play devil's advocate out of pure entertainment... usually with weak arguments too, which just pisses people off (lol). you'll probably see me do it in a bunch of coming threads ;) i don't spam though i swear