PDA

View Full Version : Monitor

wrongun92
12-26-2007, 04:57 PM
I had this old unit to which I had installed linux in conjunction with winxp as a dual boot.

So I was excited, but my monitor started making a zapping sound after I login the password in winxp as if the air in it got sucked. And then it blackens and the green light turns to an orange one.

The monitor seems to be working when the computer starts up but right after I enter my password at the windows login screen, there is a sucking sound and the monitor turns off.

A little strange.
Any ideas?

clocktower
12-26-2007, 05:32 PM
is it a crt monitor ?how old is it? how old is your gfx card? details details always helps

peat moss
12-26-2007, 06:02 PM
I'v gotten so many free crt monitors that " don't work " from friends and work , most just had a bent pin on the cable that I carefully straightened then passed on to friends . First thing I would check tho .

wrongun92
12-26-2007, 06:25 PM
its a crt monitor,
-comp is about 10 years old ;)

-I will check the pins, and see if that helps.

clocktower
12-26-2007, 08:12 PM
maybe the tube is going ot maybe its time for a lcd or tft monitor :lol:

wrongun92
12-26-2007, 10:25 PM
well there seems to be a sound as if something is being sucked before it turns off. Seems like the capacitance is being discharged?

I hooked up the monitor to another pc but the same thing. Next thing to check is prolly the pins

clocktower
12-26-2007, 11:20 PM
as if something is being sucked
:whistling :lol::lol:

Your safest best it to try and blast it with a can of compressed air to clean out any dust that might be causeing an arc.. but most likely the monitor is dying and you shouldn't mess with it if you don't know what you're doing.

wrongun92
01-01-2008, 03:18 AM
I'v gotten so many free crt monitors that " don't work " from friends and work , most just had a bent pin on the cable that I carefully straightened then passed on to friends . First thing I would check tho .

checked the pins, still not working.:mellow:

Any other tricks?

zapjb
01-01-2008, 06:38 PM
Check FreeCycle & Craigslist. If you're located in a populous place. A used CRT 17" should be available for $0-$15.

wrongun92
01-02-2008, 03:12 AM
Check FreeCycle & Craigslist. If you're located in a populous place. A used CRT 17" should be available for $0-$15.

yeah, seems like its dead.:( Thats probably the route to take now.

broomhead
01-04-2008, 04:44 PM
yep, well I jut got a monitor that something was going to throw out. It would turn on, and the screen would light up a little but nothing would show. Just a connection problem between the computer and the monitor, I will check the pins when I get home

wrongun92
01-07-2008, 05:25 PM

checked the pins, still not working.:mellow:

Any other tricks?

After checking more thoroughly, I found that two pins were missing out of the total 15 that were supposed to be there:P

Now my question is , is it possible to fix this? Can I just insert pins, and is it possible to buy these from a local stoe?

backlash
01-07-2008, 06:29 PM
I believe it's supposed to be missing a pin or two.

wrongun92
01-12-2008, 03:41 AM
Ok did some researching after knowing that some pins are suppose to be missing. It seems for Ibm computers that pins 5,9, and 13 can be left out on purpose as they do no have a funtion.

http://www.acl.co.uk/images/15hd.gif

Here is the pin layout:
1 red
2 green
3 blue
4 ID bit
5 n/c
6 red ground
7 green ground
8 blue ground
9 n/c
10 ground
11 ID bit 11
12 ID bit 12
13 H sync / Composite
14 V sync
15 n/c

I was missing 5 and 9 which is alright. So something else must be the problem ;)