PDA

View Full Version : Great Tool For Previewing Avi's

3rd gen noob
07-25-2003, 09:55 PM
I've not seen this piece of software mentioned by anyone else on the forum, so i think it's still relatively unknown.
however, it's an extremely useful tool for previewing all of an avi which you are downloading. the problem with the standard avi preview with kazaa is that the player can be hard to use, and it can onyl preview the first piece of data you have. this means you can have 300 meg of a film, but can only preview 20 secs or whatever.

however, AVI Previewc (http://www.biryani.demon.co.uk/software/AviPreviewCv0.85Beta.zip) (ddl) is a command driven avi preview utility. it creates a new avi file which contains all the data you have downloaded before. it can also be played in whatever player you like (so long as you have the required codecs), which is great.

you can find all the necessary information either contained within the program in the readme, or from the site of the programmer, here (http://www.funkster.org)

3rd gen noob
07-26-2003, 11:23 AM
just thought i'd make a little tutorial for people so they know exactly how to use this app

firstly, you need to identify the partial download (dat) file you are trying to preview. to do this, use kdat. this will allow you to see which dat file you need to use.
once you have identified the dat file, copy it to the same directory as you extracted the avipreviewc program to. to keep things easy, i have avipreviewc on my desktop.
once you have copied the file, change the name to something which is easy to type, for example, movie.avi
this is where it gets a little more complicated for novice users.
open command prompt (dos)
then in dos change to the directory where you have both the partial download and the avipreviewc program. do this by using the cd command
(e.g. to change from c:\documents and settings\A L to my desktop, all i have to type is "cd desktop")

now, type in "avipreviewc movie.avi movie2.avi" (without the inverted commas(you will have to change "movie.avi" to whatever you renamed the partial download to. also, "movie2.avi" can be anything you like, however, remember the .avi extension))
just press enter and the program will go to work at creating the new movie file.

the new movie file will be created in the same directory as the partial download file and the avipreviewc program.
it should contain all the downloaded information you have from kazaa and should be playable in most media players.

3rd gen noob
07-31-2003, 06:43 AM
[INSERT SHAMELESS BUMP][/INSERT SHAMELESS BUMP]

:P

sharedholder
07-31-2003, 07:01 AM
Nice ,i think i will put this on my website,(with your permission)Nevermind, i have this already .

3rd gen noob
07-31-2003, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by sharedholder@31 July 2003 - 08:01
Nice ,i think i will put this on my website,(with your permission)Nevermind, i have this already .
it's not my program, so i'd say go ahead :P

it's a very handy tool though...

nice site, by the way :D

sharedholder
07-31-2003, 07:09 AM
nice site, by the way  TY.

Ma5t3rM1nD
07-31-2003, 07:29 AM
Well DivFix does pretty much the same thing and is easier to use . . .
Download (http://www.divx-digest.com/software/divfix.html)
Guide
1. Make a copy of your .dat file.
2. Rename the copy to anything for example matrix-sample.avi
3. Now open DivFix unclick keep the original file, and select the file which you re-named "matrix-sample.avi"
4. Click rebuild index.
5. Go to were you file is "matrix-sample.avi" and open with any player.
Notes
If after you rename it, it's still in it's .dat format go to folder options which should be in tools in every folder. Then select the View tab, and scroll down and unclick Hide Extensions For Known File Types. Hit apply then Ok. Then go to your file click rename "matrix-sample.avi.dat" rename to "matrix-sample.avi" which is off course getting rid off .dat.

3rd gen noob
07-31-2003, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by LeUaNt|cS@31 July 2003 - 08:29
Well DivFix does pretty much the same thing and is easier to use . . .
i agree divfix is a handy tool, however, i've found it to be lacking recent times with new codec being used for encoding

also, it doesn't always work, and takes quite a long time to do it's thing

also, avipreviewc has a lot more scope for changing opitons that divfix doesn't have

changing video size is one of the most obvious...

3rd gen noob
08-03-2003, 05:46 PM
i'm surprised people haven't taken to using this as much as i have...

MeMeMeSoHony
08-04-2003, 03:24 PM
:o BUMP!

3rd gen noob
08-06-2003, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by MeMeMeSoHony@4 August 2003 - 16:24
:o BUMP!
you'd never catch me doing something like that...:P

3rd gen noob
01-03-2004, 10:53 AM
after reading dwk's topic there, i thought i'd follow in his footsteps and bump this topic too :)

swarnel
01-03-2004, 10:59 AM
nice site, by the way

yeah thats a real great site sharedholder, good work ;)

Joakim Agren
01-03-2004, 11:12 AM
Hello!

For me Avi Preview is very easy to use. When I am downloading a movie file with Kazaa Lite 2.4.3 and want to preview it I just right click the file in question and select preview with Avi Preview and Avi Preview will then open up and perform some calculations for frames and audio and then start playing the file. I have not noticed any 20 sec limitation I can play well over 1 hour files at over 700MB Niemas Problemas!

Strange that you can only preview 20 seconds something must be wrong or you are using a old version I am currently using the Alpha 0.26 by AJ version that is available here free of charge:

http://www.avipreview.com/avipreview.htm

If the file has been downloaded some more since you started watching the preview and wants to see the part that has been downlaoded since you opened the file then during playback just rightclick the screenarea and select to update the index and the extra piece that has been downloaded will be added

3rd gen noob
01-03-2004, 11:19 AM
thanks for the advice, Joakim, but i know how to use avi preview and i have a good build

my problem is in the way that avi preview works: it will only allow the user to preview the first good data block. that is, all the data up until the first error in the video file (be it the first gap or first bad frame)

:)

100%
01-03-2004, 02:38 PM
3rd gen noob - your first link is dead

hasn't anybody heard of VideoLan here?

DWk
01-03-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by 3rd gen noob@3 January 2004 - 03:53
after reading dwk's topic there, i thought i'd follow in his footsteps and bump this topic too :)
lol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

btw yea...if i cant preview correctly with avipreview (since it could be an mpeg...) i open videolan :o

3rd gen noob
01-03-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Zedaxax@3 January 2004 - 13:38
3rd gen noob - your first link is dead

hasn't anybody heard of VideoLan here?
the download link still works :)

and yes, i use video lan, but i find its interface to be totally shite :)

100%
01-03-2004, 03:05 PM
i find its interface to be totally shite 
very true!!!!

but have you searched for skins????..... :clap:

3rd gen noob
01-03-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Zedaxax@3 January 2004 - 14:05

i find its interface to be totally shite 
very true!!!!

but have you searched for skins????..... :clap:
nah, i prefer my solution :)

p.s. you joined on my birthday, btw (well, the anniversary of my birthday, to be exact)

100%
01-03-2004, 03:29 PM
so where both almost one year old now

http://images.mychurchesimages.com/4179/Birthday%20Cake-red%20white.jpg

AndrewBarker
01-03-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by 3rd gen noob@26 July 2003 - 10:23
just thought i'd make a little tutorial for people so they know exactly how to use this app

firstly, you need to identify the partial download (dat) file you are trying to preview. to do this, use kdat. this will allow you to see which dat file you need to use.
once you have identified the dat file, copy it to the same directory as you extracted the avipreviewc program to. to keep things easy, i have avipreviewc on my desktop.
once you have copied the file, change the name to something which is easy to type, for example, movie.avi
this is where it gets a little more complicated for novice users.
open command prompt (dos)
then in dos change to the directory where you have both the partial download and the avipreviewc program. do this by using the cd command
(e.g. to change from c:\documents and settings\A L to my desktop, all i have to type is "cd desktop")

now, type in "avipreviewc movie.avi movie2.avi" (without the inverted commas(you will have to change "movie.avi" to whatever you renamed the partial download to. also, "movie2.avi" can be anything you like, however, remember the .avi extension))
just press enter and the program will go to work at creating the new movie file.

the new movie file will be created in the same directory as the partial download file and the avipreviewc program.
it should contain all the downloaded information you have from kazaa and should be playable in most media players.
:huh: all this to preview a movie

Naa sorry, videolan anytime

3rd gen noob
01-03-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by AndrewBarker@3 January 2004 - 14:39
:huh: all this to preview a movie

Naa sorry, videolan anytime
apathy rules ;)

AndrewBarker
01-03-2004, 03:47 PM
practicality rules :)

3rd gen noob
01-03-2004, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by AndrewBarker@3 January 2004 - 14:47
if something's worth doing, it's worth doing right :)

AndrewBarker
01-03-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by 3rd gen noob+3 January 2004 - 14:52--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3rd gen noob @ 3 January 2004 - 14:52)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-AndrewBarker@3 January 2004 - 14:47
if something&#39;s worth doing, it&#39;s worth doing right :) [/b][/quote]
yes...don&#39;t get me wong, I think you do a great job on the forum :)

3rd gen noob
01-03-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by AndrewBarker+3 January 2004 - 15:01--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (AndrewBarker @ 3 January 2004 - 15:01)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by 3rd gen noob@3 January 2004 - 14:52
<!--QuoteBegin-AndrewBarker@3 January 2004 - 14:47
if something&#39;s worth doing, it&#39;s worth doing right :)
yes...don&#39;t get me wong, I think you do a great job on the forum :) [/b][/quote]
oh...thanks... :)

i was just quoting some old clichés there :)