PDA

View Full Version : Looking For A Software That Can Detect Any Errors

Janetuniverse
07-26-2003, 12:48 AM
Hello guys, im wondering if anyone here knows of a program/software that can search or detect any errors on a computer?

Im having problems with errors freezing my PC, WINDOWS PAINT closes because of an error, etc.

Please help,

Janet

Xilo
07-26-2003, 12:58 AM
Try downloading Norton Systemworks.

Izagaia
07-26-2003, 01:59 AM
Systemworks 2003 is exactly what I use. It does tend to slow things dwn abit, however it is a helluva lot better than anything that comes as default in XP as far as windows utilites go.

A simple "One Button Check-up" will do things such as check for short-cut and registry errors and then offer to correct them.

clocker
07-26-2003, 02:47 AM
Norton WinDoctor, part of the Utilities package, will also do what you want.

shn
07-26-2003, 02:57 AM
run the command sfc /scannow from the run box or command line to see if your missing or have corrupted system files and windows will replace them if so. :)

Ninjastyle
07-26-2003, 05:22 AM
It is my belief that System Works is total garbage. Use SiSoftware Sandra Professional 2003.

WinDoctor doen't do anything that TuneUp Utilities does better and it's a far smaller download. Both these apps are.

balamm
07-26-2003, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by shn@26 July 2003 - 03:57
run the command sfc /scannow from the run box or command line to see if your missing or have corrupted system files and windows will replace them if so. :)
That command will only restore a virgin install. It's one of those things that becomes redundant with the first windows update or service pack. I've tried to use it as a last resort in the past but it can't cope with the files changed by SP1 through 4 in win2k Or SP1 in XP. It just leaves more of a mess than you had to start with. If the Service packs and updates were integrated to the install disk, it might work better because that's what the program looks at for a refference.

The other command that will sort out most problems is c:>chkdsk /r (which implies /f /r) It does a thorough checkdisk and scans for bad blocks and recovers/repairs them in almost every case.